PDA

View Full Version : Have I ruined my Lee Mold?

Norseman
12-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I have had a six cavity TL356-124-TC mold for some years and never got any presicion out of it. If fact, the bullet tumbles at 11 yards and leave a near perfect silhouette in the paper target.

So I bought a micrometer and measured the bullets. They were rather misaligned, with .356 on the large side, but where the two halves meet, each and every one measured .352. So it seems that the two mold halves are misaligned in the steel pins?

Are there any solutions to this problem, except buying a new mold - probably not a TL-model, since I've just got my Star lubrisizer :-D

osage
12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Norseman have you looked at the sticky about Lee-menting you might find a solution in there.
I took to closing molds with gloved hand to improve alignment.

docone31
12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I have that mold, and it is VERY accurate in my 9mm.
I would contact Pat at Lee Precision, and inform him of the issue.
They fix what they make, and it is quick.
I had my dies modified to work with paper patching and it was two weeks from mail to them, to get them.
I would do that, that is a good shooting mold.

shotman
12-03-2008, 04:02 AM
you said a six banger. Are you touching the sprut handle when casting? that will cause a big problem in the out of round problem.

Norseman
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Shotman: No, I don't touch the sprue plate handle

Apparently there must be something wrong with my casting technique. I have a RCBS .358-158-RN two hole mold and the bullets from it seems also very misaligned. I sized them in the Star on sunday and they are very shiny most of the circumference, except wher the two mold halves meet. One side is shiny (have been sized) and the other side is just the dull lead colour.

Are the steel molds supposed to be lubricated as well? Now that I come to think about it, they (the RCBS mold, that is) needed some banging on the handle nut to release.

Well, I have some new RCBS molds coming in, it will be great to have some instructions on use to read :-)

mooman76
12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
You can often tweak Lee moulds and others too to get improvements out of them or to correct minor oddities. It is also fairly common for bullets to come out a thou. or two off from one side to the other. The mould heats up and and fluctuates it's size. Granted yours is off quite abit more than desireable and sizing will correct somewhat if a bullet is off a little. I lubricate all my moulds. Whatch a little closer next time you cast and make sure the mould is lineing up properly and you don't have a gap when closed. Some people close them on something smooth and flat to help line up the mould and some like myself tap the mould lightly with a wooden handel or a light plastic hammer. just keep plugging away and things naturally get better through practice and consistancy.