PDA

View Full Version : New member and Hopefully new caster

j20owner
12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Hello all! I found this forum off of post in the ar15.com reloading section. I've been thinking about shooting lead out of my 1911 so I can start participating in a local range's USPSA matches and still be able to afford to eat when I'm done.:mrgreen:

I've even scrounged up my first little bit of lead. I'm amazed that I've got as much as I do, in such a small space.
http://xaclan.com/Heinrich/heinrich/Gun%20stuff/First%20Lead.JPG

FWIW, I've read most of the classics and stickies at the top, and was especially glad to read the 5 page thread on using LLA and how much some people like it, as that's the route I'm planning on taking. My plans include a Lee 200gr SWC TL bullet in .45 and just laddle casting at first. Also plan on using the Lee sizing die to make sure they're all the same size.

Thanks in advance for all the great info and knowledgeable casters in attendance here!!

docone31
12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Your thoughts will give you success. I started on the Lee 200gn FN. Great stuff. I size to .452, make my own lube, and it just plain works.
I also load with Blue Dot.
A real good load in my 1911s.

opentop
12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome aboard!!

That sue is some purrty looken WW you got yer self there.

Looks like you have a good plan laid out and will go far!

j20owner
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Pretty impressive that a 3lb coffee can holds around 30lbs of WW and a 2lb coffee can holds around 20lbs of WW. I don't drink :coffee:, but I get the cans and WWs from my work.

Now if I could just find someone online who has the 3 things I want to order actually in stock at the same time.:groner:

Hardcast416taylor
12-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Hello and welcome ... I agree that you will enjoy making your own supply of shooting lead. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will find yourself wanting more lead than what you have now. What sort of melt pot system do you plan on using. If you are going to dipper pour I recommend a Lyman dipper. The Lee laddle is about as good as a tablespoon, and you will hate it after using it awhile. Read the Lyman intro to casting in any of their manuals, it is a real help. Good luck and don`t be afraid to post a question about anything. :-D Robert

BRYAN
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
welcome aboard, you'll be finding a lot of good information hear.

j20owner
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Hehe, I was just looking on craig's list for a turkey fryer!!

Found several, including this one (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/920844033.html). Now I need to start calling around and see if anyone still has one. Most of the adds are old, but I'm sure I'll find one for about the same price.

You might be right about the ladle. I was just looking at them again at MidwayUSA and the Lee Ladle is now out of stock too.:neutral: I did check out the lyman, but according to the picture, it looks like it's made backwards for what I want. The RCBS one is $40(:shock:) but looks to be made the way I think it'll work right.

454PB
12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Those nice clean wheelweights will yield about 1500 200 grain boolits. When you're not casting or shooting, you can look for more lead!

j20owner
12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Woohoo!!! Just found a turkey fryer burner(I think) on craig'slist for $5!! Now if the guy would answer my voicemail and call me back to tell me he still has it. <-prays

HEHE!!!! I bought it and a 2nd turkey fryer setup both for $20!!! Going to pick them up Sat, then let the idiocy begin!!!:Fire:[smilie=w:

opentop
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I use the RCBS Laddle and I like it.

rbstern
12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
j20owner is in the house!

Welcome, brother.

j20owner
12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey, I recognize you!!;)

rbstern
12-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Shhh!

I'm here in disguise. As long as these guys don't figure out I have nothing to add, and I'm only here to steal their wisdom, they probably won't boot me.