PDA

View Full Version : Need an AWD Vehicle

Mal Paso
08-06-2020, 02:39 PM
My car was totaled, I'm kinda burnt on Subarus and looking for something different. I have a 3/4 ton truck want something smaller for shopping and trips. My driveway is dirt and 22 degrees in places so it's gotta be All Wheel Drive. Looking for something used about $6K. I've seen just about every make with AWD and don't know which to watch out for so I thought I would ask the brain trust. What have you got that works or doesn't?

Thanks!

blackthorn
08-06-2020, 02:49 PM
We have had a Toyota Highlander since 2008. It has given stellar service, with only one problem with the left front wheel bearing. I have replaced tires and brakes as needed but any car will require those. I have it serviced every 5000 KM (more or less). I do not think you can go wrong with Toyota.

metricmonkeywrench
08-06-2020, 02:53 PM
We have an AWD Dodge Journey that gets us anywhere we want to go, but for the rough weather we default to my full size 4WD truck.

The downside to most AWD platforms is the need to change all 4 tires when worn to stay within a +/- on tire diameter. We had to replace all our tires once after a bad flat that were just under half worn.

mattw
08-06-2020, 03:01 PM
This is my main complaint about AWD. I drive an '07 Expedition with 308k miles and really do much prefer 4x4 vs. AWD.

William Yanda
08-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Some of these AWD's move (or not) on one wheel until they get up to about 20mph according to the last tow truck driver I rode with (don't ask).

StuBach
08-06-2020, 05:26 PM
MiL has been pretty happy with her EcoSport. She travels to our house every day to watch kids and I live in the snow belt portion of Lower Michigan and it’s done well by her for a little over a year now. She had 3 different Kia Souls prior to that and she will probably go back to those when this lease is up cause they have performed admirably for her and the price is decent.

I rotate work cars every 2-3 years (45k+ miles a year) and they’ve always had me in midsize SUVs. I had stellar performance out of my 2013 Ford Escape, 2016 Ford escapes had lots of transmission issues in most of the ones I knew of in the cold areas, 2018 Chevy Equinox has been garbage pretty much since I got it (lots of tire wear issues, transmission lags due to engine ecoStop, marginal in poor weather, terrible in bad weather).

Just some of my experiences though.

Froogal
08-06-2020, 05:38 PM
We have owned Chevy Blazers, Trail Blazers, a Chevy Equinox, and a Dodge Durango. There were things I did not like about all of those, and all of them made regular trips back to the dealer for warranty work. We now drive a Chevy Silverado with full, 4 door cab. Bought it new in 2012. We take it to the dealer for service work, but it has NEVER been there for warranty work. Comfortable to ride in and drive, vision is great with no blindspots, and the fuel mileage is as good as, if not better than those Blazers and the Durango. 4 wheel drive gets us where we want to go even when the roads are nasty.

.429&H110
08-06-2020, 07:40 PM
Tacoma
I have had a million miles of service vans/pickup chevy gmc ford dodge, that died under me pretty quickly, enough detroit!
Bought a used rusty '89 Toy 4x4 drove it ten years traded for the Tacoma '01. Bought it in White River Junction pulled a uhaul to Scottsdale drove it to North Pole commuted to work in Fairbanks 26 miles in the ice fog, Mobile One and a block heater will start at -50F. Don't take it out o first until yor sure, cause it won't go back. Drove it to Green Valley and darn! 18 years old it needed freon! Original brakes clutch front end. 190000 miles. Needs tires again. New Toys aren't the same. Mine was made in Kentucky and I think they lost the knack. Wish I had kept the '89, the salt got into the aluminum o-rings channels so 1600cc was mostly glued together, state inspection allows no oil leaks. If I had gotten it cleaner, the blue glue wooda held. She was mighty rusty, though. Would have made a fine arizona atv. She is still crashing around Vermont, I expect.
Trucks are like wives, you hope for a good one, take your pick.

Hogtamer
08-06-2020, 08:09 PM
Can't argue with a Toyota. This is a '72.

BD
08-06-2020, 09:48 PM
265863I'm going older for my around town vehicle. Any of the original 4x4s, jeep CJs, Toyota Landcruiser, early Bronco, even a Suzuki Samari. They do need maintenance, but it's simple. Nothing going on there you can't understand. I'm running a '47 CJ2a I paid 4,000 for. No computers, nothing I can't repair myself.

brass410
08-06-2020, 10:28 PM
D-9 Cat, not very fast, but stands up well in frontal collisions , also easy to park, leave anywhere, Mines never been towed yet for infractions. Its a real crowd pleaser in rush hour, trust me no one road rages with ya drivin a D9 along the ditch on the highway.

Mal Paso
08-06-2020, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't have sold my 85 Tacoma had it been 4 wheel drive. Even with bed weights the 2 wheeler did not like this hill. I will hit Craigs List again. I wasn't thinking older, I had an 06 but easy to work on would be great. How are parts for older Toyotas?

I found 2 Highlanders in the SF area, one above $6K, I'll keep looking.

Misery-Whip
08-07-2020, 01:31 AM
Honda crv. Well made, and simple. Lots of older ones on the road.

.429&H110
08-07-2020, 02:07 AM
The junkyards are full of rusted out toyotas
Parts are easy, but parts aren't cheap anymore.
My 89 would break a spring if I sat on the tailgate
(lost a hundred pounds since)
I tried to haul firewood, found out each leaf was $100
A Toy is like a big wheelbarrow, maybe.
Can put more weight in my wheelbarrow.
Toys are not a dumptruck.

My youngest was sitting at a stopsign and a GrandAm ran over the hood of my Tercel, tore off everything in front of the firewall. GrandAm took the engine with him. My boy opened the door, got out and said "Dude! where's my car?". Door opened and closed, car didn't bend. Like cut with a knife. Looked like I could fix it if I could find the engine and wheels fenders and grill lost in the trees under the GrandAm twisted ruin. (Kid was fine, go figure we knew the kid, and he had no insurance, was his girlfriends unregistered GrandAm)
God smiled that day...
I like Toys.

DocSavage
08-07-2020, 07:19 AM
Rav 4 for sheer dependability.Too many horror stories on jeeps especially since Fiat partnered with Chrysler. Ford,Chevy SUVs will pass anything on the highway but a gas station.

pcolapaddler
08-07-2020, 08:00 AM
For older vehicles, Suzuki Sidekick/Vitara/Grand Vitara or Samarai. Pretty simple cars. Usually very dependable.

The Samarai rides pretty rough with it's short wheelbase and solid axles on both ends. The 1.3 engine really revs at highway speeds. I'm told that the engine really responds well to a 2bbl carb upgrade. But... These are tough little vehicles and they can go almost anywhere.

Sidekicks come in 2 and 4 door versions, 4cyl and v6. The newer ones have auto locking front hubs, so you don't have to get out to lock or unlock hubs.

Vitara/Grand Vitara are the newer, nicer appointed version of the Sidekick. They can have more bells and whistles, but probably not as many as truly new vehicles.

To my knowledge, none of them are being imported into the US any longer. There is pretty good aftermarket support for many mechanical parts. Probably similar for body panels, but I've not researched that.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

08-07-2020, 08:16 AM
If you can find a good deal on a low mileage RX300, RX350 made by Lexus. Check it out. I think they are great vehicles.

HangFireW8
08-07-2020, 10:13 AM
The original Samurai had less than 2 inches of suspension travel, and are all very old. Later Suzukis are a better choice.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-07-2020, 11:14 AM
If you are thinking of something smaller than the usual SUV ???

I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix AWD. I love it, and the 1.8 engine gets 30 MPG.
It's small, it's basically a Corolla in a hatchback/wagon format, but it does seat 4 adults comfortably. AND, with the back seat down, it has lots of cargo ability, much more than the Corolla sedan. I just recently bought and hauled a fully assembled exercise bike in it :)

It doesn't have the clearance of a SUV, but it does have 16" wheels, so it has more clearance than other "cars" that size.
AWD is a noticeable advantage in the Minnesota Snow and ice....I can't speak for a muddy steep driveway though?

4 years ago, when I was looking for a car, I did have the Matrix on my mind, most are 2wd, which is what I thought I wanted. Then I stumbled on this AWD, which is kind of rare in the Matrix line, it had lots of miles (220K) but was a commuter, and owner had maintenance records...miles were gentle. The owner was anxious to sell. Comparable Matrix's were over $6k at that time, the owner sold it to me for just under $4K. I've put 40K trouble free miles on it so far.

Petrol & Powder
08-07-2020, 12:36 PM
OK, just to clarify - It sounds like the OP needs 4WD to negotiate a driveway but doesn't need (or want) 4WD for the other 99.8% of his driving. He wrote, ".....I have a 3/4 ton truck want something smaller for shopping and trips. ...."

So, I'm thinking part time 4WD instead of AWD. As others have pointed out, AWD often requires tires purchased in sets of 4.

To fill the need of something "smaller" (and I read that as more fuel efficient) I would look for something in the 4 cylinder/part time 4WD category.

An older 4 cylinder, 4WD Tacoma would be fine but they are getting harder to find.
A lot of the little SUV's are AWD.
Maybe you could find an older 4 Runner or Highlander?

A Jeep Cherokee would be a good choice for size but the fuel mileage would likely be poor.

There just aren't many small, part time 4WD vehicles out there. You may have to select an AWD vehicle to fulfill your "small vehicle" requirement.

TyGuy
08-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Between myself and my immediate family we have owned three Honda CR-Vs (1st, 2nd, and 4th gen) and one Element all Dual Pump AWDs. None have ever had an issue getting up our steep gravel country roads or through the deepest midwestern snows. Fuel economy is decent and they have proven quite reliable. 800k miles between all four and the only one that went to the boneyard was due to a friend who met a deer on the highway and was then introduced to the divider cable and rock ditch... it still ran but a bent frame, twisted suspension, and a broken wheel meant it was time to be an organ donor.

MrWolf
08-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Honda crv. Well made, and simple. Lots of older ones on the road.

This. I bought a 2009 new for my daughter. I was pleasantly surprised how good it ran in the snow. She is still driving it and has had almost no issues.

kootne
08-07-2020, 05:30 PM
I have been driving a 1994 Cherokee for 20 years. 5 speed stick. Crank up windows. 6 banger motor. Tires last 50k. 20mpg. Plow snow with it. Goes anywhere it is still legal to drive. Spend 500 more or less per year keeping it up. I will give it up when they pry my cold dead fingers off the wheel.
YMMV

dangitgriff
08-07-2020, 05:51 PM
This. I bought a 2009 new for my daughter. I was pleasantly surprised how good it ran in the snow. She is still driving it and has had almost no issues.

The Honda Pilot 4WD is a good one, too. Bought an ‘07 for the wife in ‘08 and it’s been reliable.
R/Griff

Beerd
08-07-2020, 05:59 PM

All I see is shiny paint. Where's the rust?

Petrol & Powder
08-07-2020, 06:29 PM
I have been driving a 1994 Cherokee for 20 years. 5 speed stick. Crank up windows. 6 banger motor. Tires last 50k. 20mpg. Plow snow with it. Goes anywhere it is still legal to drive. Spend 500 more or less per year keeping it up. I will give it up when they pry my cold dead fingers off the wheel.
YMMV
That 4.0 in-line six was produced from 1986-2006. That is one of the best engines ever made and they are just about bullet-proof.
It is unfortunate that Chrysler discontinued that engine but by the early 2000's the writing was on the wall. The tooling was wearing out and the designers wanted a shorter/lower V-6.

Petrol & Powder
08-07-2020, 06:35 PM

Those are awesome trucks!
A FJ-40 that hasn't rusted away is worth a small fortune these days.

If it has the original straight six (which was almost a copy of a Chevy six cylinder, but not quite), it's worth even more.
If you have one of the original diesels (typically sold overseas), it will almost sell for twice as much.

Mal Paso
08-07-2020, 10:03 PM
First of all Thanks!

The truck is a service body for work, weighs 9,600 lbs, and won't do the driveway after a good rain, too heavy. I won't turn the Subaru loose until I have a replacement for it. Tow trucks won't do my hill with anything in tow so I'm looking for reliable. I do most of my own work. I go places where service is difficult and I haven't found anyone who cares as much how the work is done.

Anyway, I saw an RX300 a month ago for a good price but didn't know. I am making a list of all your suggestions to use online. The market here is small and I'm prepared to be flexible.

Hogtamer
08-07-2020, 10:37 PM
All I see is shiny paint. Where's the rust?

Under the paint!

Maineboy
08-08-2020, 06:48 AM
"I'm kinda burnt on Subarus"
We've had a '97 Outback, a 2012 Legacy, and currently drive a 2019 Forester. Between the Outback and the Legacy we had an 03 CRV. This is snow country and from November to April, all wore snow tires and were great vehicles for snow and ice. We live 6 miles in on a dirt road that can get rough between gradings. While the Honda was a great vehicle, we replaced a lot of suspension parts while we had it. The Subarus seem to hold up better in that respect.

Petrol & Powder
08-08-2020, 08:47 AM
On the topic of Subaru, I had three, or more accurately, my ex-wife had 3 and I got to work on them. They were excellent cars, well engineered and dependable. However, a mechanic I know claims Subaru's quality declined in recent years.

The flat four used by Subaru is an outstanding engine. Think of it as a modern VW flat four that's water cooled. It is compact, keeps the center of gravity low, they are fairly easy to service and the old ones were very durable. I've seen them go 300K. The downside is Subaru couldn't seem to leave them alone and constantly tweeked the design.

Back in the 70's, the standard Subaru flat 4 was a cam in block, push-rod design that was incredibly durable but made very little power. In the late 80's they came out with the dual overhead cam layout, fuel injection, 4 valves per cylinder and a bit more displacement.

The earlier versions of the overhead cam engines were equal in durability to the old cam in block engines (provided you maintained them) but I think Subaru just couldn't leave it alone. In their quest to "improve" that design they may have messed up.

Mal Paso
08-08-2020, 10:07 AM
I agree. I had a 97 DOHC that I liked better. Had just finished a valve/head job when wildfire got it. Maybe I'm just tired of fixing up cars just to have them ruined.

There is a guy in Seaside, North of here that has a full on Mad Max car. All rust and machine guns. I thought about getting something like that but I noticed he doesn't drive it much any more. Probably likes something regular to drive to the store.

MT Gianni
08-08-2020, 11:11 AM
We had an 08 outback until I kissed a deer with it at 80. Three quarters had damage. Insurance fixed it but it was always a little louder than before so we replaced it @ 150 K with a 2015 Forester. We now have 130 K on the Forester with tires and fuel being the only expenses. The biggest disadvantage to the 15's and newer is a universal type no shift transmission. It is very easy to be running at 95 mph with no sound change to pay attention to. Our cruise control gets a lot of use.

Petrol & Powder
08-08-2020, 02:10 PM
The flat four is a great design. There's a reason that layout was used in some iconic applications: Air Cooled VW's, Early Honda Goldwings, Lycoming and Continental aircraft engines, Subaru's, etc. They are just great little engines. Compact, lots of power to size, low profile.

I can't stand a CVT transmission and if Subaru is using those now, that would be a deal breaker for me. I never had a problem with the older Subaru automatics and a friend's ancient manual transmission took decades of abuse before the rest of the car wore out.

While we're on the topic of flat fours and steep driveways; Would an old VW bug climb that driveway ? That could be a solution ?

Ozark mike
08-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Amc eagle

Mal Paso
08-08-2020, 03:09 PM
While we're on the topic of flat fours and steep driveways; Would an old VW bug climb that driveway ? That could be a solution ?

2180 with a billet block and 4 webber's? I've gotten used to the heated seats. I need something comfortable enough to drive to Flagstaff with cruse control etc. And I don't think there was ever a cure for the VW valve stretch. I remember crawling under mine every 3k miles to adjust the valves and still had valves drop.

Petrol & Powder
08-08-2020, 03:11 PM
2180 with a billet block and 4 webber's? I've gotten used to the heated seats. I need something comfortable enough to drive to Flagstaff with cruse control etc. And I don't think there was ever a cure for the VW valve stretch. I remember crawling under mine every 3k miles to adjust the valves and still had valves drop.

All part of the air cooled allure :bigsmyl2:

Petrol & Powder
08-08-2020, 03:23 PM
Amc eagle
Oh, WOW, there's a 1980's blast from the past !

With the 258 AMC Straight Six, it would be reliable but I bet you would struggle to reach 17-18 mpg in one.

I recall they were popular with rural letter carriers and nurses with long rural commutes.

Ozark mike
08-08-2020, 05:25 PM

I like mine even better it got a 1.6d outta a rabbit stuffed in it. Gets better milage than a prius and stupid reliable

BD
08-09-2020, 08:50 PM
I drove Subarus from the '70s into the early 2,000s when they started having engine issues. It looks the foresters avoided that and are pretty dependable. However, if you are not looking for highway speeds and creature comforts the early solid axle CJs, Suzukis and Broncos are very durable. Many of these are still on the road with 60+ years of continuous service. They do need maintenance, but it is pretty straightforward. Rust is the most serious issue.

BD
08-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Heated seats and cruise control? I think those requirements rule out anything older than about 2005

Ozark mike
08-09-2020, 09:00 PM
Well i guess that leaves this out

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-rokon-trailbreaker-2/

Mal Paso
08-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Heated seats and cruise control? I think those requirements rule out anything older than about 2005

My 97 Outback had both. I looked for another one but only found high milers. I have more time now and am leaning toward something Toyota.

If you live on a mountain it's east to get used to heated seats. Going uphill generates heat, downhill not so much. It's all downhill from here to the highway. It's 5 miles before I get heat.

mickbr
08-10-2020, 04:41 AM
Some of these models probably dont translate to you guys but for AWD or what we call 'soft-roaders'( as opposed to true 4x4 'offroaders')the popular ones are Subaru Forester, Mitsubishi Outback, Honda CRV, Ford escape, Toyota Rav 4, Suzuki grand vitara, Mazda CX5.

jsizemore
08-10-2020, 07:12 AM
Fella in town does contract delivery of nuclear medicine even to the hospitals in the western mountains of NC. Last I ask, he had 1,200,000 on his AWD Tacoma. He had the tranny rebuilt once.

Geezer in NH
08-18-2020, 09:50 PM
Wrong wife's Outback has both it is a 2004

tja6435
08-18-2020, 10:53 PM
I like our 2006 Toyota Sequoia, roomy, all the options, was like $50k new, we paid $8k for it with 232k in 2018, it has 260k now with no problems, it always had dealer servicing done and ran pennzoil synthetic 5w30 it’s whole life.

blackthorn
08-19-2020, 12:28 PM
Wrong wife's Outback has both it is a 2004

So does my 2004 Highlander.

Mal Paso
04-27-2021, 12:59 PM
I wound up with another Subaru 2 years newer but more miles, got a moon roof though. Still got my heated seats and electric mirrors LOL. I'm up to $5,500 with tax, license and a few parts. I may need to do the heads at some point but I'm familiar with the engine. This one has adjustable valves which I see as a plus. Still waiting for the insurance to pay, they have been awful.

Three44s
04-28-2021, 09:39 AM
Ah haw!

You just had to get over your apathy towards Scoobies! ....... and dive back in again!

My wife had a 97 RAV for years and then went Scoobie, a new ‘14 Outback. She is sold on Scoobies!

BTW you can add heated seats to anything with juice and cruise control can be a chunk of bailing wire tied to ....... oh, that’s right, cops frown on that stuff ......

Thanks for the update!

Three44s