PDA

View Full Version : Sights for a revolver

Wayne Smith
12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
How do I determine the appropriate height sight to get for a revolver? Specifically my S&W hand ejector first change in 32-20 target sighted revolver. The front sight is far from original and bent sideways. I can get a Partridge sight in three heights for $10.00 each from Midway and a McGivern from Brownells in two heights for about $50 each! I'd love a McGivern, but the price!

Is there a standard sight height for a 6" barrel? Do I buy the highest and file it down until I'm hitting where I want?

I think I need a starting point.

Jon K
12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Wayne,

There are several ways to determine this sight business, distance to center of the bore of both front and rear sights, and boolit weight, speed, & distance you plan to shoot. Basically heavy boolit needs a taller front sight.

I would measure what you have now, shoot it at the distances you plan to shoot i.e. 25-100 yds, with the boolit you want, how much adjustment you need, and get the appropriate blade you need.

Jon

dubber123
12-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Hot glue a piece of cardboard to the side of the front sight base and shoot it. It will shoot to the side, but you can trim it with scissors until you get the elevation you want. Measure from the top of the cardboard sight, to the sight base, and buy the one closest to that measurement.

Wayne Smith
12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Dubber, that's a great idea! I'd never of thought of something that simple. I seem to like complex solutions to simple problems, don't cha no?

Ben
12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I've also done this:

In front of your sight that is on the pistol right now, bend a paper clip to a 90 degree angle.

Set it in line with your current front sight and tape it TIGHTLY with electrical tape to the barrel.

Take a pair of quality, sharp, wire snips with you to the range, shot and snip, shot and snip until you have a zero with a load that you'd like to use.

When the shooting is over and your pistol is zeroed, Measure the height of the " top of the paper clip front sight to the barrel " , that is the sight height that you'll need with that particular load.

Ben

missionary5155
12-03-2008, 11:47 AM
You can also cut a slight groove in your present sight and add whatever height you need. Also can use a piece of brass rod soldered on top.
Or notch the base and solder on a whole new blade of the style you want.
I am prone to make my own if at all feasible.

dubber123
12-03-2008, 06:03 PM
I've also done this:

In front of your sight that is on the pistol right now, bend a paper clip to a 90 degree angle.

Set it in line with your current front sight and tape it TIGHTLY with electrical tape to the barrel.

Take a pair of quality, sharp, wire snips with you to the range, shot and snip, shot and snip until you have a zero with a load that you'd like to use.

When the shooting is over and your pistol is zeroed, Measure the height of the " top of the paper clip front sight to the barrel " , that is the sight height that you'll need with that particular load.

Ben

Bens idea seems better to me, and you don't have to wait for the hot glue gun to warm up.[smilie=1: Same basic idea, but his is easier. Let us know how it works out. My oldest target sighted Smith is maybe 1912ish, and has a pinned in front. Is your older model the same?

Wayne Smith
12-04-2008, 03:55 PM
This is a pinned in front sight and the current insert is simply a rectangle of steel that someone pinned in. I'm thinking of having the gun re-blued (less than 20% finish currently) and if I do I will want to replace that with something approaching original, in style at least. They came with both Partridge and McGivern front sight as options.

The current rear insert is the lowest one S&W offers, looks like the .100 one that Midway offers.

deltaenterprizes
12-06-2008, 08:54 PM
It is Patridge,partridge is a bird.

Three44s
12-07-2008, 01:16 AM
One thing about a good Patridge .......... it helps you hit a Partridge!!!

Could not resist!!

Three 44s