PDA

View Full Version : Zouave thread pattern?

TNsailorman
08-04-2020, 09:28 PM
Does anyone know the thread pattern on the nipple of a Zoli 1863 Zouave .58 caliber carbine? I have one and I need a cleaning tube and a spare nipple for it but I do not know and do not have a thread gauge to determine the thread pattern. Thanks in advance, james

bedbugbilly
08-04-2020, 10:06 PM
If it is a Zoli, it should take a 5/16 - 24 musket nipple. I re-barreled my Zouave with a Zoli barrel and it took a 5/16 - 24. Go to Track of the Wolf and look in their nipple section or call them and they should be able to confirm it.

newrib
08-04-2020, 10:11 PM
Hi, I just pulled the cone on my Zoli Zouave (which I bought used some years ago, my first muzzle loader) . The cone is aftermarket and the Thread Pitch is 8mm X 1MM as measured by a harbor fright digital caliper. And thank you for the inspiration to take my Zoli off the rack, pull the cone and re oil the bore.

kenton
08-04-2020, 10:50 PM
Be aware 5/16=.3125". 8mm=.315".
M8x1mm=.315-25.4, very close to 5/16-24.

Make sure to verify what you actually have.

dondiego
08-05-2020, 11:08 AM
Just an FYI - When I bought my Zoli Zouave in 1969 I couldn't find musket caps and when I could they were more expensive than #11 caps. I replaced my Zoli musket nipple with a nipple that takes #11 percussion caps and it has worked fine since. There is a threaded area in the patch box that holds my spare musket cap nipple!

TNsailorman
08-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys for taking the time to answer. One of the muzzle loading supply houses which I had requested the same information replied that they can supply a cleaning nipple & tube (which is what I need most) if I will remover the nipple on my rifle and mail it to them. I may just do that since I am getting conflicting information. james

carbine
08-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys for taking the time to answer. One of the muzzle loading supply houses which I had requested the same information replied that they can supply a cleaning nipple & tube (which is what I need most) if I will remover the nipple on my rifle and mail it to them. I may just do that since I am getting conflicting information. james

I guess you want to clean the gun without removing the barrel. I have been removing the bbl on my muskets and using a pail of water for 40 years. Easy peasy

TNsailorman
08-07-2020, 03:41 PM
I took the ladies advice at Buffalo Arms Co., and sent the nipple in this morning for them to measure and decide what I needed. We wil see, james

TNsailorman
08-25-2020, 03:49 PM
I finally got to talk to a guy at Buffalo Arms Company and he said that Zoli listed the thread pattern for the nipple on the Zouave .58 caliber rifle as 5/16x24. Finally someone who had the company info. So for the ones who tried to help--Thank you very much and I do appreciate your efforts. . For the ones who wanted the info for themselves, I posted this to help them. I have 2 nipples on order and they should ship tomorrow. Very nice folks at Buffalo, my first time dealing with them and don't think it will be my last. james

TNsailorman
08-28-2020, 06:29 PM
I got the nipple for the Zouave in the mail today and they do fit. So the threading is 5/16"X24. I ordered these about 5:00 pm on 8-25. Buffalo Arms mailed the nipples on 8-26 and I got them on 8-28. That is fast service. james