PDA

View Full Version : Load for factory rifled 1 oz. Foster Slugs

2LittleTime
08-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Good day all. So this is what had happened...... I ended up with boxes of pull down reclaimed factory Foster slugs. These are .73"x.695", 438 grains and are "rifled". What brand of shell they were reclaimed from I can not tell you. If I am correct, the factory loading for those things is a combination of card and fiber wads. I can not find any load data for such. I need to run some assumptions past you guys and see what advice you can give. I would like to take the load for 1oz. shot in a straight wall hull and use it for these Foster slugs. Assumption 1: a slug replacing the equal mass of shot will generate the same or less barrel pressure if it is compatible with the barrel and choke. 2: The Foster slug will obviously not fit inside the shot cup of the wad in the shot load so I could trim the petals off to remove that obstacle. 3: column height is critical so I may need to adjust with some nitro cards. 4: The roll crimp I will use generates less pressure than a folded crimp so that will not take me in the wrong direction pressure wise. 5: I am not looking for "hot" loads so if my original shot load data shows moderate pressures say around 7500 to 8500 that would be reasonable. 5: I could use the same load data with a gas seal and a card/fiber combination to make up column height without sending pressures out of bounds. I am pretty sure of what I want to do, none of those would raise pressures. How the load will perform and pattern is something different and I will have to see about that. It was suggested I just melt them down and cast .690" slugs and be about my business. As of now I do not have a pot and am not set up to cast. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a new Lyman's book coming this week. There may be data in there. Thanks again.

megasupermagnum
08-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Do these happen to be the "value slugs" from Ballistic Products? If so, they are pulldown's from the Federal Truball 1 ounce slugs.

2LittleTime
08-03-2020, 07:18 PM
I believe they came from Ballistic Products. I honestly don't remember seeing the plastic inserts Truball's have in any of them. They may have been removed as part of the decom process.

megasupermagnum
08-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Ballistic Products has had pull down slugs on and off for a long time. Usually it is a one time deal, once gone, they are gone. The latest one was about a year ago, and it was the Federal Truball, they also had 1 1/4 ounce Federal rifled slugs, and even the Federal 300 grain trophy copper bullet sabot slugs. Call Ballistic Products, and ask for their data on the 1 ounce value slug. That is the safest route.