PDA

View Full Version : Henry Single Shot recall

hpdrifter
08-02-2020, 08:43 PM
Henry is recalling their H015 Single shots.

Says possible accidental discharge!

Maybe a fix for everyone FIXING their trigger/hammer pull????

TheGrimReaper
08-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Do what?
That stinks

chickenpot
08-03-2020, 09:44 AM
I havent exactly had any issues with mine, but i may be following up with this for the free trigger job. Only concern is how long they will take to do it, dont want to be without my rifle for that long. Not that i dont have others, but ya know they're like children, andlytime they leave your sight you get worried.

fenderman57
08-03-2020, 10:48 AM
Looks like they found a good deal on Grainger springs.

hpdrifter
08-03-2020, 11:22 AM
I have added a snippet in original post of the email I received.

megasupermagnum
08-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Dang. I tuned my trigger to an absolutely beautiful, super crisp 3 pounds. No matter how good their upgrade is, it wont be that good. It has been a while since I had it apart, but if I remember right, the trigger set up is a rebounding hammer. Spring pressure rebounds the hammer, and a large notch in the hammer, very similar to a half cock, is a mechanical block to keep the hammer from hitting without the trigger pulled. Maybe the rifle falling butt first far enough can cause the trigger to pull? In that case I have a hard time believing the hammer will pull back far enough. About the only way I can think of, is if your finger slips off the hammer, and that would require the hammer to physically break through the half cock notch. I just tried it a few dozen times on my own rifle, and the notch stops the hammer every time. I think I'll wait and see how the "upgrade" goes for others first.

chickenpot
08-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Dang. I tuned my trigger to an absolutely beautiful, super crisp 3 pounds. No matter how good their upgrade is, it wont be that good. It has been a while since I had it apart, but if I remember right, the trigger set up is a rebounding hammer. Spring pressure rebounds the hammer, and a large notch in the hammer, very similar to a half cock, is a mechanical block to keep the hammer from hitting without the trigger pulled. Maybe the rifle falling butt first far enough can cause the trigger to pull? In that case I have a hard time believing the hammer will pull back far enough. About the only way I can think of, is if your finger slips off the hammer, and that would require the hammer to physically break through the half cock notch. I just tried it a few dozen times on my own rifle, and the notch stops the hammer every time. I think I'll wait and see how the "upgrade" goes for others first.

I tested it out, break it open and hold your finger over the firing pin, pull the hammer back until it's about to reach the sear and let it go. I felt the firing pin protrude onto my finger. Im still debating on whether or not I want to go through with the recall and deal with shipping it out and waiting, because anytime Im actually going to cock the hammer, there is a cartridge loaded and it is about to get fired

megasupermagnum
08-03-2020, 03:30 PM
I just tried with my finger, and I can't feel anything on mine. Unless your safety notch is already toast, I don't understand how it could possibly do it. Maybe the design is such that some can just barely get by that notch? Or maybe a weak trigger return spring is the cause? Whatever the cause, it obviously effects enough of them that Henry just issued their first ever recall. I'd really hate to have to do another trigger job, but if they change the geometry to improve the trigger, maybe I can make it even better than what I have now.

dverna
08-03-2020, 05:26 PM
Is a safety upgrade going to make the trigger better? Not enough information to go on.

chickenpot
08-03-2020, 05:53 PM
Is a safety upgrade going to make the trigger better? Not enough information to go on.

They said they're be including a complimentary trigger job "upgrade" if you send it in for the recall. Another thing, I recently just finished load development for the perfect cast load for this gun, and got the scope all nice and zero'd. would kind of burn if i had to take the scope off to send it in

chickenpot
08-03-2020, 06:03 PM
I just tried with my finger, and I can't feel anything on mine. Unless your safety notch is already toast, I don't understand how it could possibly do it. Maybe the design is such that some can just barely get by that notch? Or maybe a weak trigger return spring is the cause? Whatever the cause, it obviously effects enough of them that Henry just issued their first ever recall. I'd really hate to have to do another trigger job, but if they change the geometry to improve the trigger, maybe I can make it even better than what I have now.

I just went and tried it again, and I can definitely get a love tap from the firing pin with the trigger untouched and the hammer dropped from as back as far as it can go without catching the sear. Might try it with a primed case to see if i can get it to pop

Edit, just fyi- without touching the trigger and pushing the hammer forward to the firing pin from it's resting position, I can't get it to budge or protrude the firing pin. Only when the hammer is snapped back and released before catching the sear. I believe this is the issue they discovered and why they issued a recall about it

FredBuddy
08-04-2020, 03:36 PM
I've just got mine to a happy place,
including improving the wood to metal
fit. Just fine tuning the Skinner sights.

We shall see....

chickenpot
08-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Welp I made the call. They're sending a box in the mail for me, and gave a 7-14 day turnaround estimate on the work. Lady on the phone said they have capacity to fix up 150-200 guns per day.

Jkrem
08-05-2020, 07:06 PM
I saw a beautiful little used Henry carbine (?) in .243 Win. at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA yesterday.

booneh
08-07-2020, 12:25 PM
why would you have to send the complete gun ? if they are working on the trigger it seems like they would only need the receiver.

Tatume
08-07-2020, 01:00 PM
They said they're be including a complimentary trigger job "upgrade" if you send it in for the recall. Another thing, I recently just finished load development for the perfect cast load for this gun, and got the scope all nice and zero'd. would kind of burn if i had to take the scope off to send it in

Your scope should return to zero and require only slight adjustment, if any.

Tatume
08-07-2020, 01:02 PM
why would you have to send the complete gun ? if they are working on the trigger it seems like they would only need the receiver.

Many people would be uncomfortable taking off the stock. It's easier for them to just send the long box, without asking about willingness to disassemble the gun.

Texas by God
08-07-2020, 01:51 PM
ALWAYS remove Scope, mounts, custom stock or grips from any gun you send back to the factory. They dont need them to fix the gun and that way they dont get damaged or "lost".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tatume
08-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Hi Tex,

I agree. But the question was:

Texas by God
08-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Hi Tex,

I agree. But the question was:

I see what you mean. Best thing would be to call Henry and see what they require.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bedbugbilly
08-07-2020, 09:16 PM
I realize that some are not happy with the trigger pull on these - but I don't see any real mention that they are correcting what most complain about - it's a "safety recall" to fix something that they perceive (and I'm sure the lawyers in suits) as a potential safety hazard. I give them a lot of credit for that - and let's face it - it's not like they are the only firearm mfg. who has ever done a recall. Yeh . . it's an inconvenience but Henry has always taken care of an issue with their firearms and while I have never had to send any of my Henrys back for anything - most that I know who have had to use their CS have been more than satisfied. I was getting ready to order one in 30-30 in a month so - so I will just wait until they get a handle on things - no big deal and the sun will stilll rise tomorrow. It's been interesting over the past months to read the posts on how lousy the triggers are and how they have to be "tuned up" . . . . funny part about it is how many do't give a thought to "tuning up" their lever guns, revolvers, putting after market "go fasters" in their semi autos, etc.

megasupermagnum
08-08-2020, 12:00 AM
...funny part about it is how many do't give a thought to "tuning up" their lever guns, revolvers, putting after market "go fasters" in their semi autos, etc.

I have messed with just about every gun I have ever owned. That's the very first thing I do is take them apart, measure things, and look for ways to make them better. It's a short list of guns I leave alone, one of which is currently my only semi automatic pistol, my Sig P220. I've done at least minor smoothing of all of my revolver triggers, with the sole exception of my LCR.

chickenpot
08-08-2020, 03:15 AM
"As a sign of appreciation to its customers, Henry Repeating Arms will also perform an unrelated performance upgrade to improve the trigger pull on all firearms returned pursuant to this recall free of charge."

i'm leaving my scope rail on when i send it in

crappie-hunter
08-28-2020, 08:01 AM
Anyone sent there Henry in yet? , Got my mailing label today, I’m only sending the action and butt stock, I have a custom chamber and throat for a specific cast bullet and a barrel that has been fire lapped and smoothed up, and shortened for weight reduction and better handling. I don’t want that barrel messed with or replaced so it stays at home. If they don’t or won’t do the upgrade without the barrel they can send the frame back, and I’ll use it the way it was originally.

RustyReel
08-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Filled out and submitted the on-line form a couple of weeks ago. Nothing yet, no email, no label, no box, etc.

chickenpot
08-28-2020, 09:32 AM
Havent received the box they were supposed to send either. worried they get me address wrong when i said it over the phone. I had already stripped down the gun to send it, if i dont hear anything or receive a box im just going to put it back together and put it back in service

John Boy
08-28-2020, 12:38 PM
Better recall text ... https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/henry-repeating-arms-issues-safety-warning-and-recall-notice-of-henry-single-shot-rifles-and-shotguns-301103452.html

upr45
08-28-2020, 04:46 PM
Sent my info on the Monday after recall notification. Received authorization email today.

megasupermagnum
08-28-2020, 06:22 PM
I decided to send mine in. It shipped yesterday, and Henry says a 2-3 week turn around.

Good Cheer
08-31-2020, 03:02 PM
Well golly. I'm glad now that I stopped yammerin' at 'em to do .41 Magnums and got a NEF rebored.

Dimner
08-31-2020, 03:54 PM
"As a sign of appreciation to its customers, Henry Repeating Arms will also perform an unrelated performance upgrade to improve the trigger pull on all firearms returned pursuant to this recall free of charge."

i'm leaving my scope rail on when i send it in

Any chance the new single shot models are going to start being sold with this improved trigger pull?

megasupermagnum
08-31-2020, 06:15 PM
Any chance the new single shot models are going to start being sold with this improved trigger pull?

They have been, started I think they said either June 1st or July 1st. Somewhere in there. Recent reports I've seen is that the new trigger is very acceptable at around 4-5 pounds.

pietro
08-31-2020, 06:38 PM
I tuned my trigger to an absolutely beautiful, super crisp 3 pounds.

No matter how good their upgrade is, it wont be that good.

It's not about trigger pull weight - it's a safety upgrade that's about avoiding an AD (accidental discharge) that could result in a fatality.

megasupermagnum
08-31-2020, 06:42 PM
It's not about trigger pull weight - it's a safety upgrade that's about avoiding an AD (accidental discharge) that could result in a fatality.

Only if you walk around with the gun cocked. I sent mine in anyway, but kind of regret it.

koger
08-31-2020, 07:04 PM
I have both of mine right where I like them, #3 or thereabouts on the triggers, no issues, so I am going to keep mine.

megasupermagnum
09-04-2020, 07:20 PM
I already got mine back. I was surprised to find that it still has a very crisp 3 pound trigger pull. Either they are that good, or they left my worked on trigger components alone. I'll take it apart later to see what exactly they did.

Terminatorret
09-07-2020, 03:48 PM
I sent my 77/357 in on August 24...received it back September 7. Trigger pull before recall was 7 lbs...after recall 3 1/2 lbs. I'm not sure what the did with the hammer mechanism (safety issue), but I'm confident that has been resolved, too.
Overall, I have a great deal of respect for the great customer service I received.
I zeroed it in today (Weaver K3-60-B scope) and confess the reduced trigger pull is a great improvement. About 1-1/2" 3-shot-group at 100 yards using cheap PPU 158gr SJHP.

upr45
09-15-2020, 08:43 PM
My 357 came back today so just over 2 weeks. The trigger pull is lighter, I did not measure it before it before or after but does appear to have been adjusted.

hc18flyer
09-18-2020, 11:41 AM
Yesterday I received an e-mail from Mike Bellm, who rechambered my .357 to Maximum stating:

Henry requires that they be able to check headspace and test fire the rifle, so of course the barrel must be included.If he has made modifications to your Henry, he will coordinate upgrades and be the point of contact with Henry. Ordinarily, manufacturers tend to not warrant guns that have been modified since leaving their hands, but has given the ok for my customers ONLY to return their guns for new upgraded parts and better trigger pull.
* This contradicts a post earlier in this thread about only sending the butt stock and action? You can contact him @:
Mike@357maximum.net
hc18flyer

crappie-hunter
09-19-2020, 07:23 AM
I got the same message from Mike, I don’t know where his info comes from, but all I sent was the frame and butt stock, and mine came back with the dimpled trigger guard, indicating the improvements had been made. The upgrade is definitely an improvement in trigger pull and the effort to pull the hammer back. I have fired about 30 rounds since the up grade with no misfires, including some rounds with the hard wolf primers I was getting misfires with before the upgrade.

I’m not suggesting you go against Mike’s advice, I sent mine before I even got his Email.

chickenpot
10-05-2020, 12:21 AM
Finally got a box from henry on friday 10/3 to send the rifle in. I think that was 2 months ago when I asked for it. I had everything stripped off it ready to go for a while after i called them, but I figured they heard my address wrong or something and box was nowhere to be found.. so a couple weeks ago I out it back together cause I wanted to shoot it, and didn't particularly care to inquire about the recall. Now that I have the box though I'm sending it in, just for the peace of mind.

hc18flyer
10-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Mine is back after about 3 weeks. I had my packaging soit was pretty easy. Need to get my scope back on and check out the trigger. Overall I am happy with the rifle and Henry it self. Mine has been rechambered in .357 Maximum, and should be excellent with cast, for Whitetails. Tom

chickenpot
10-05-2020, 05:06 PM
Mine is back after about 3 weeks. I had my packaging soit was pretty easy. Need to get my scope back on and check out the trigger. Overall I am happy with the rifle and Henry it self. Mine has been rechambered in .357 Maximum, and should be excellent with cast, for Whitetails. Tom

I'm thinking about the maxi rechamber in mine. We'll see how I feel.. just need the brass I suppose. Can I use my regular lyman 357 mag sizing die for the maximum?

Anyway, sent my rifle out today, it is now a part of the abyss.

hc18flyer
10-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Yes you can use your regular dies. If you seat your bullets out further, you may run out of threads on your die? I ended up getting a dedicated 357 Maximum die set. I would recommend just getting Starline Max brass, if you remember. Tom

booneh
10-06-2020, 01:08 PM
i talked to them yesterday. they require the complete gun.
they are sending me two boxes. it sucks but?

RustyReel
10-06-2020, 02:01 PM
Got mine back yesterday. Somehow I even got a stock upgrade??? Not sure what that was all about but I'll take it. Trigger pull is nicer but the hammer still requires some effort to cock.

chickenpot
10-06-2020, 02:55 PM
i talked to them yesterday. they require the complete gun.
they are sending me two boxes. it sucks but?

I got a stock box it would have come new in, packaged inside of a regular shipping box.

Got mine back yesterday. Somehow I even got a stock upgrade??? Not sure what that was all about but I'll take it. Trigger pull is nicer but the hammer still requires some effort to cock.

nice. what is different about the new stock you got? did the replace the fore end as well?

RustyReel
10-06-2020, 05:37 PM
nice. what is different about the new stock you got? did the replace the fore end as well?

Nicer looking piece of timber, as the saying goes. Has a bit of figure for the last few inches on both sides of the butt. Noticed it as soon as it came out of the box. If I get a chance I'll post a couple of pics, old and new. Just a nice little surprise.

chickenpot
10-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Got my rifle back today. I didnt luck out and get a new stock, but the trigger, hammer, and firing pin are noticeably new. The break open mechanism seems to be new as well, as it is nice and crisp as it was when brand new, and mine had worn into really smooth when pushing from right to left with my thumb. Trigger break is nice and cript, hammer pull is nowhere near as hard. I'd bet that they went with a single spring in the hammer mechanism rather than the original two, though I don;t really feel the need to take it apart to find out

wksimple
10-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Got mine back in 10 days. Trigger is MUCH better.

BubbaBBadd
10-20-2020, 11:09 PM
Got my 223 SS back the other day and the hammer is slightly easier to cock. The trigger is WAY better. Pre recall it was consistently 61/2 pounds. Creep, click, bang! Now it tests out at a consistent 4lbs! I got this rifle in 223 to teach my grandkids to shoot. I do not want a trigger lighter than 4 lbs. I don't know what Henry did and I don't care. No creep, no click, just clean break! Way to go Henry! The sharp edges on the hammer still hurts tender thumbs but I think a hammer spur will help. This rifle is a great teaching tool for new shooters. Bubba

David LaPell
10-25-2020, 06:37 PM
I got mine back today, the trigger was much better, BUT, I noticed a large crack in the buttstock behind the triggerguard. I contacted them but haven't heard anything back yet. I've talked to a couple other guys who have also had their single shots come back with cracks in the exact same place on the bigger bore guns, mine being a .45-70.

https://i.imgur.com/wusUZ1k.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iHvxFUG.jpg

RustyReel
10-25-2020, 09:00 PM
Interesting. I noted above (#46) that my rifle came back with a different stock. A bit of an upgrade in the timber quality. Maybe whatever happened to yours also happened to mine but they caught it and fixed it before returning the rifle to me. Mine is a 44 Mag and other than something like you note above I have no idea why they would have changed the stock.

David LaPell
10-26-2020, 06:19 AM
Interesting. I noted above (#46) that my rifle came back with a different stock. A bit of an upgrade in the timber quality. Maybe whatever happened to yours also happened to mine but they caught it and fixed it before returning the rifle to me. Mine is a 44 Mag and other than something like you note above I have no idea why they would have changed the stock.

I have heard from three people that said after the recall and having their single shot fixed they had cracks in the stock of their gun, all like mine. Not sure what the heck is going on with them at Henry, but I am really curious as to why such a simple thing is leading to these problems.

From the looks of it, having a cracked stock is something that's been going on with these guns for a while now, makes me wonder what the issue is.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/who-owns-a-henry-single-shot.234753/

Cosmic_Charlie
10-27-2020, 11:20 AM
I got mine back today, the trigger was much better, BUT, I noticed a large crack in the buttstock behind the triggerguard. I contacted them but haven't heard anything back yet. I've talked to a couple other guys who have also had their single shots come back with cracks in the exact same place on the bigger bore guns, mine being a .45-70.

https://i.imgur.com/wusUZ1k.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iHvxFUG.jpg

Shame, that was a nice piece of walnut. How does that 45-70 shoot? That is the caliber that is most appealing to me in that firearm.

David LaPell
10-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Shame, that was a nice piece of walnut. How does that 45-70 shoot? That is the caliber that is most appealing to me in that firearm.

It actually shoots really well. It's a little stout with Winchester and Federal 300 grain loads, but the old Remington 405 grain bullets are barely noticeable. I even got a Skinner sight for it, hoping to get it sighted in before hunting season ends but the way this ordeal is going, that's hard to say. I contacted Henry two days ago, no one got back to me so I tried to contact them again today.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-28-2020, 06:22 AM
It actually shoots really well. It's a little stout with Winchester and Federal 300 grain loads, but the old Remington 405 grain bullets are barely noticeable. I even got a Skinner sight for it, hoping to get it sighted in before hunting season ends but the way this ordeal is going, that's hard to say. I contacted Henry two days ago, no one got back to me so I tried to contact them again today.

That 405 trapdoor loading is what I would be using. Just thinking it would be a satisfying gun to reach out on the steel with. Perhaps a gas checked boolit of soft alloy. Hope your stock issue gets resolved to your liking.