PDA

View Full Version : Lee Sizing Dies

BrentD
08-02-2020, 08:24 PM
The bad news is that Lee has quit making their push-through sizing dies that fit in an ordinary reloading press. They are making something different that requires a special Lee press now. Bummer. I've relied on Lee for a long time.

So, if anyone has a .446 or .447 push through sizing die like Lees or similar, I'd be interested in buying it from you.

I'd also be in interested in one in the range of .363-.365" as well.

Brent

Rust
08-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Take a look at NOE push-through dies.

Dapaki
08-02-2020, 10:08 PM
Not according to their website: https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/bullet-sizing-kit/
The bad news is that Lee has quit making their push-through sizing dies that fit in an ordinary reloading press. They are making something different that requires a special Lee press now. Bummer. I've relied on Lee for a long time.

So, if anyone has a .446 or .447 push through sizing die like Lees or similar, I'd be interested in buying it from you.

I'd also be in interested in one in the range of .363-.365" as well.

Brent

BrentD
08-02-2020, 10:54 PM
Dapaki,
Only selling what's in stock. Nothing custom anymore. The sizes I need are not available.

Rust, where do I find NOE?

Rust
08-03-2020, 06:51 AM
www.noebulletmoulds.com

BrentD
08-03-2020, 07:51 AM
Rust,
I'm finding only the new style of Lee sizing dies on the NOE site.

Wayne Smith
08-03-2020, 10:53 AM
I believe LatheSmith will make them. PM him.

John Boy
08-03-2020, 11:12 AM
The bad news is that Lee has quit making their push-through sizing dies that fit in an ordinary reloading press
Lee's website says differently....
https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/bullet-sizing-kit/

Fastest and easiest way to size cast bullets. Standard 7-8x14" threads fit any single stage reloading press

Dapaki
08-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Dapaki,
Only selling what's in stock. Nothing custom anymore. The sizes I need are not available.

Rust, where do I find NOE?

Gotcha! I didn't pick that up off the OP, sorry.

BrentD
08-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Gotcha! I didn't pick that up off the OP, sorry.

It's not obvious. I swapped some emails with them to find out what was going on. I'm thinking it will be easier to just order a new mould

tmanbuckhunter
08-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Well, if that's the case, the NOE push thru sizing set up is better anyways.

With the price of a good used lubrisizer, it honestly makes no sense to not have one. They'll size PC bullets just fine and you don't have to squeeze lube in the grooves if you don't want to.

Good Cheer
08-08-2020, 07:33 AM
I've emailed them in the past as well inquiring as to when the custom diameter threaded OD push thru's will be available.

Looking forwards to an answer...
[smilie=6:

Sven205
08-10-2020, 10:37 PM
I just went through this with Lee, had been wanting a custom sized push through sizer (.575) but apparently put it off too long.

I emailed their customer service because everything I saw on their site pointed to the new breeck lock style which only went up to .515. The page with the old sizers said they are no longer making the custom sized kits, service rep confirmed that.

I stated the size I needed and was told to go ahead and put the custom size in for the new style sizer even though it was over max and they could still make it, I just wouldn't be able to use the catch bottle made for these because the mouth was too small. I was ok with that and proceeded. A week later I got a call confirming that they could not make that size of any type old or new. The very next day, Lee called again and said the machinist made a "mistake" and did the old push through style at .575. I thanked her and said send it on! So apparently I may have gotten one of the last ones they made, by mistake.

Sven205
08-10-2020, 11:05 PM
I looked again at the Lee site, I'm in the same boat not wanting to buy new equipment but they have two of the sizes you mention marked as custom over-runs. (446 & 364)

To fit the non "special" Lee press you buy the update kit for ten bucks. https://leeprecision.com/1-1-4-12-bl-update-kit.html
Then, the breech lock sizing kit for fifteen dollars more, out of stock right now... https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit.html

And finally pick the actual sizer and punch you need. I guess its not terrible, once you get the first two parts each additional sizer you add is twenty dollars. I liked the old push through sizers and appreciate now that I didn't have to buy any type of adapters to use them.

varsity07840
08-11-2020, 10:03 AM
northeasttradeco.com. (570)546-2061 Talk to John. He makes a Lee type for a loading press and a simple push through. Any size you want.

BrentD
08-12-2020, 08:42 AM
Sven,
I'm not finding those two die sizes you mention (446 and 364) in the overstock.

when I want something from lee, it is always challenging to find it.

The conversion kit won't work on my RCBS - I don't have 1.25 or 1.5" threading.

Ah, why did they make something that was so simple and easy now such a PITA?

fgd135
08-12-2020, 10:42 AM
Sven,
I'm not finding those two die sizes you mention (446 and 364) in the overstock.

when I want something from lee, it is always challenging to find it.

The conversion kit won't work on my RCBS - I don't have 1.25 or 1.5" threading.

Ah, why did they make something that was so simple and easy now such a PITA?

https://leeprecision.com/bullet-szr-punch-.364.html
https://leeprecision.com/bullet-szr-punch-.446.html

I'm now very glad I bought a couple of now-old style custom sizers last year before this unfortunate change occurred.

BrentD
09-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Well, if that's the case, the NOE push thru sizing set up is better anyways.

With the price of a good used lubrisizer, it honestly makes no sense to not have one. They'll size PC bullets just fine and you don't have to squeeze lube in the grooves if you don't want to.

I called NOE twice and emailed them as well. No response to messages left. I tried the Northeast trading post suggestion and also did not get an answer. CV19 must be stacking up the body count I guess.

mongo40
09-20-2020, 04:02 PM
I just ordered one of the lee's for my 45-70 and received it yesterday, its one of the "old Style" I guess as it screwed right into my Lyman press. Works great.
Chris

BrentD
09-20-2020, 07:50 PM
Lucky you, Chris. What size did you get?

Lead pot
09-20-2020, 08:06 PM
I had to order one of the new dies for my .44 DDPP to get the base down to .444" so it fits in the case mouth of my tight chamber .44-77.
I use a RCBS Rockchucker and took the 1-1/4 bushing out and screwed their adapter in. It works just fine but I like the old 7/8X14 dies better.
But I won't spend the money for their special stamp metal press they came out with.

GregLaROCHE
09-21-2020, 05:17 AM
Here are NOEs sizing dies. They work great. Seems like the price may have gone up a little, but once you have the basics, it’s inexpensive to change sizes. Make sure you get the right size punch. They also have kits now that might be a cheaper way to start if in the size you want.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/sizing-tools/bushing-push-through-size-die/push-through-size-die-body/001-push-through-size-die-body

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/sizing-tools/bushings

BrentD
09-21-2020, 07:49 AM
Greg, yes, I've seen those. But they are not listed in a size that is usable for what I wanted to do. I called and emailed them several times and gotten no response. I moved on and ordered and just received a new mould that will do what I need to do. I hope.

That aside, it seems strange that they require a "kit". The old Lee dies were simple as can be. Three parts, including the locking ring. The NOE photo shows 6 parts, and it is not obvious in the photo how they operate. Why are dies so complicated suddenly so complicated that they require 1.25" threading and adapters and whatever?

Maybe someday, someone will dependably make custom diameters in really simple dies, like Lee used to do.

GregLaROCHE
09-21-2020, 08:51 AM
NOE never responded to my emails either. I wanted to size down .45 cal boolits so I could paper patch them, but the small insert I needed wasn’t available. I wondered if I could special order some, but since they never responded I’m stuck with ordering a mould if I decide to continue the project. I have used them for other projects and like the fact I can have an assortment of sizes to play around with and can downsize progressively. They aren’t that complicated, except you have to screw them in from the bottom of the press.

BrentD
09-21-2020, 08:56 AM
Basically, if you need a custom sizing die it seems that you are SOL and you need to buy a lathe and learn to make them yourself. At least that is basically my take on this. PITA.

mongo40
09-21-2020, 09:00 AM
BrentD it was a .457 for my GGB, it throws a .458 and I just wanted to make sure they were nice and round. Ran about 50 bullets thru it yesterday just to see and worked great. I've never used one before since all my casting up till now has been round ball for my muzzleloaders.
Chris W

BrentD
09-21-2020, 09:02 AM
Yes, you got standard size. That explains it. Either they do not do non-standard sized, or they have a super secret email or phone number where you contact them for custom sizes.

John Boy
09-21-2020, 03:09 PM
I started years ago ordering the Lee sizing dies that I needed for the many calibers I shoot including the customs for the pre 1900 Ballard and Stevens calibers. Never thought they would deplete the calibers and no more customs. Having all I need gives me a nice feeling due to current changes

BrentD
09-21-2020, 03:13 PM
I started years ago ordering the Lee sizing dies that I needed for the many calibers I shoot including the customs for the pre 1900 Ballard and Stevens calibers. Never thought they would deplete the calibers and no more customs. Having all I need gives me a nice feeling due to current changes

I felt quite the same until I discovered that I did not have quite "all I need" after all. Life changes and suddenly, you need a new sizer. There is a life lesson in this somewhere, I am sure.

Randy Bohannon
09-22-2020, 07:07 AM
I was able to order a custom .460” Lee push through sizing die not to long ago from their web site. I had bought three Lee push through dies for my Pedersoli Gibbbs rifle..452”,.449”,.448” I was taking boolits from a PJ 45001 mould at .458” and lubing sizing them down to .448”16:1 alloy and getting stellar accuracy out to 500m. The dies work so wellI have no need to buy a custom mould for the rifle. They do put a very fine fin on the base that is easily removed with a knife.

Chev. William
09-24-2020, 06:18 PM
The last few Lee "Lube and Size Kits I bought, I simultaneously ordered longer push pins as the original length left the sized bullet in the sizing bore to be pushe clear by the following bullet, which deformed the soft noses of the following bullets.

My custom punch length is about 1,510-1.520 inches overall/
The :ee original punch length is about 1.400 inch.

Also, I Tumble lube all my bullets before sizing to prevent galling of bullet metal to die metal.
I learned this lesson with a lost die.

Chev. William