PDA

View Full Version : I broke my Cub Cadet Riding Mower

Tom Myers
08-01-2020, 04:49 PM
I could use some help from one of you repair experts out there.

I hit a tree with the side grab handle on my Cub Cadet mower and broke the handle off. Of course, it is some sort of a plastic molding and I need to know what product would make the strongest repair. My computer is acting up and I can't include a photo of the handle. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you all for your attention.

smithnframe
08-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Pics would certainly help here!

Tom Myers
08-01-2020, 07:07 PM
Pics would certainly help here!

Yeah, they would. My 'phone used to be able to send pictures right on over to my computer but I have spent the last two hours trying to get it to work. Both the computer and the 'phone are saying that they are paired up on Bluetooth but the pictures just won't transfer over. Maybe it will work on my laptop. I'll dig it out and see it it works there. Then I can send them from the laptop.

Buzz Krumhunger
08-01-2020, 07:13 PM
I post pictures from my phone using Postimage.org. It’s pretty easy (or I wouldn’t have been able to have figured it out).

peachhead
08-01-2020, 08:27 PM
If these are the same ones in the side of mine I would guess something like gorilla glue epoxy would work.

https://postimg.cc/rRVpHSHH

Tom Myers
08-01-2020, 10:18 PM
Well shoot, nothing works. It appears that my bluetooth dongle May have a virus. Both computers are going down and I can just about manage to turn this phone on.

By golly, I got one to upload.
Gonna quit while I'm ahead.

I managed to get one computer to log back on before I take every thing down and reinstall an operating system.
At least I managed to get one photo uploaded.
As you can see I tried to mend it with some plastic epoxy. It lasted until the first time I mowed sideways on a slope, grabbed the handle, broke it off and nearly tipped the darn thing over.

All for a while. I can read this forum and slowly post from my cheapo mobile phone.

country gent
08-01-2020, 10:57 PM
If the handle is the same I would cut two pieces of round stock that fits the radius well, tubing or pipe would be best, but even wood dowels would add the extra surface for a solid repair. I would use JB weld glue the ends into the deck side and clamp. lit cure then add a screw thru the joint. then glue the handle in and let cure adding 1-3 screws on each side depending on length.

Prep everything as good as possible. clean roughen surfaces fit everything together even the clamps so once glue is mixed you can work as quickly as possible

Winger Ed.
08-02-2020, 12:18 AM
It doesn't look like it was very strong to start with.

I've got a JD D-130 and mow on a hill too.
It doesn't have a handle, but its pretty handy to grab it under the edge of the rear fender.

If that idea would work on yours, I'd sand the rough edges off the broken spots and let it go at that.

cp1969
08-02-2020, 12:46 AM
You might post your problem over on this website. It has guys who repair lawnmowers for a living over there.

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/

samari46
08-02-2020, 01:24 AM
Get some kydex the stuff they make holsters with. Rough up the damaged areas well. Heat the kydex with a heat gun and form it to the existing plastic. You want to have the kydex soft and kinda floppy. Trim the kydex with a sharp knife or use a dremel tool and either epoxy in place or use aluminum pop rivets with washers for the inside where the rivets expand. Or say the heck with it and leave it be. Frank

MrWolf
08-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Yeah, they would. My 'phone used to be able to send pictures right on over to my computer but I have spent the last two hours trying to get it to work. Both the computer and the 'phone are saying that they are paired up on Bluetooth but the pictures just won't transfer over. Maybe it will work on my laptop. I'll dig it out and see it it works there. Then I can send them from the laptop.

Send yourself an email from the phone with the pictures included. I do it all the time.

Scrounge
08-02-2020, 09:48 AM
Well shoot, nothing works. It appears that my bluetooth dongle May have a virus. Both computers are going down and I can just about manage to turn this phone on.

By golly, I got one to upload.
Gonna quit while I'm ahead.

I managed to get one computer to log back on before I take every thing down and reinstall an operating system.
At least I managed to get one photo uploaded.
As you can see I tried to mend it with some plastic epoxy. It lasted until the first time I mowed sideways on a slope, grabbed the handle, broke it off and nearly tipped the darn thing over.

All for a while. I can read this forum and slowly post from my cheapo mobile phone.

A lot of stuff made for cars and tools is made from ABS plastic. You can try acetone to glue it back together. It won't be any stronger than it was, so reinforcing the joints as country gent suggested is a really good idea.

ascast
08-02-2020, 09:53 AM
If these are the same ones in the side of mine I would guess something like gorilla glue epoxy would work.

https://postimg.cc/rRVpHSHH

I like the yellow one

skeettx
08-02-2020, 09:56 AM
I would not trust a glue job
Bolt on a brass handle

https://www.amazon.com/slp/brass-handle/grbrk7ootgvq43h

white eagle
08-02-2020, 10:27 AM
the only thing I use those for on mine is to use as tie downs for trailering
but I think that is all I have ever used them for
Is yours new?
I have had one for a few years now and have spent more time fixing it,
just put in my 3rd pto clutch not to mention other electrical problems,
than using it finally just got tired of it and replaced it with a John Deere zero turn
now I retiring it to more less used detail

Finster101
08-02-2020, 10:32 AM
I don't really even see a need for it but the simplest solution would to be get a new one from Cub Cadet. It can't cost that much.

Tom Myers
08-02-2020, 01:32 PM
A lot of stuff made for cars and tools is made from ABS plastic. You can try acetone to glue it back together. It won't be any stronger than it was, so reinforcing the joints as country gent suggested is a really good idea.

Does that really work? If it does then that is the way to go.

It was plenty strong before. I was mowing fairly fast and got too close to a leaning oak tree. It really jolted me and the machine when it broke.

All the ideas and responses I've received are good ones but this would be the simplest, if it works.

Scrounge
08-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Does that really work? If it does then that is the way to go.

It was plenty strong before. I was mowing fairly fast and got too close to a leaning oak tree. It really jolted me and the machine when it broke.

All the ideas and responses I've received are good ones but this would be the simplest, if it works.

It will work IF it's ABS. It's essentially chemical welding. If you have a 3D printer and some ABS filament, you can feed more material in to the joint to help fill gaps. Or get one the Harbor Freight plastic welders and try that. I doubt you have the ABS filament, as if you did you'd know about ABS and acetone. They do vapor smoothing of 3D printed objects made with ABS to get better strength and a smoother surface on 3D printed parts. The 3D printing process doesn't produce parts as strong as those that are injection molded. Acetone vapor smoothing can help with that.

Petrol & Powder
08-02-2020, 08:01 PM
I would fabricate a new handle. I don't believe you will ever achieve enough strength by re-attaching the broken section. Even with a good epoxy and some reinforcing the integrity is gone.
There are a lot of options to replace it, including a section of tubing or even a short length of polypropylene rope.

wv109323
08-02-2020, 08:40 PM
If the handle was stretched when it broke there will not be a complete contact between the broken handle and the base. I would see how the handle fits back on the base. An aftermarket handle may be stronger than gluing on the broken one. If you decide to re use the handle I would use some type of bolt or all thread to dowel berween the handle and base. I would fit the pieces up and glue the dowel into one side. I would let that dry. Then I would glue the pieces together and use some type of tape to hold the JB Weld in place. Use jb weld and tape to build up to original size and contour if a second application is needed. A few wraps of black electrical tape would not be that noticable when completed.

Tom Myers
08-03-2020, 08:32 PM
I don't really even see a need for it but the simplest solution would to be get a new one from Cub Cadet. It can't cost that much.

I just might do that as a last resort

Tom Myers
08-03-2020, 08:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and advice;

I finally got my computer back, up and running with Bluetooth operational so I can include a couple more photos.

If the handle was stretched when it broke there will not be a complete contact between the broken handle and the base. I would see how the handle fits back on the base. An aftermarket handle may be stronger than gluing on the broken one. If you decide to re use the handle I would use some type of bolt or all thread to dowel berween the handle and base. I would fit the pieces up and glue the dowel into one side. I would let that dry. Then I would glue the pieces together and use some type of tape to hold the JB Weld in place. Use jb weld and tape to build up to original size and contour if a second application is needed. A few wraps of black electrical tape would not be that noticable when completed.

This is pretty much what I have decided to try. I will probably first, use some epoxy to fix the handle in place and then diagonally drill holes through the glue joint, put some JB Weld in the holes and insert a steel rod in the holes. If that does not hold then I will break down and buy a new fender cover for it.

The reason for all this is that the mower was gifted to me by my daughter and S.I.L, is in really nice shape and I feel obligated to keep it that way. Besides it is the best mowing machine I have ever operated.

This what the good side looks like

265674 265675

By the way, I tried the acetone to see if it would soften the broken edges. It didn't do a thing. But it sure did a good job of cleaning off the epoxy putty that I tried first.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.
265677 265678