PDA

View Full Version : case lube

luober
12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
if this question has been asked before please refer me to the proper thread.

what are the proportions of lanolin and isopropyl alcohol in the various manufacturers spray case lubes? i've been thinking of mixing up my own rather than pay almost $1 an ounce for the stuff. thanks for any help

DLCTEX
12-02-2008, 05:39 AM
www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm has this and many other handy formulas. 1 part pure liquid lanolin to 4 or 5 parts 99% isorphyl alcohol. Warming both to 105 degrees in water baths before mixing helps. Do not use open flame, very flamable!

runfiverun
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
you could just use anhydrous lanolin on your fingers too.
i have seen numbers of 1-5 up to 1-10 for the mix.

1hole
12-02-2008, 04:37 PM
"i've been thinking of mixing up my own rather than pay almost $1 an ounce for the stuff."

Save money and trouble. Go to Wallmart's shoe department and get a can of Kiwi "Mink Oil" OR "Sno-Seal" boot and shoe treatment. Both are soft waxes that duplicate the effect of "Imperial Die Wax", which is the very best commercial sizing lube.

Apply any of the waxes with your finger tips, keep the coating very thin and it will work fine. And it's much easier to wipe off later than lanolin.

Echo
12-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I use Alemite CD-2 (like STP). Put a small dollop (bean-size) in a 1-lb coffee can, smear it around some, put cases in, close up, roll around for a while. One can will lube thousands of cases.

But. I think I am going to try liquid soap next time. Will come off easier, methinks. And soap makes sense... cheaper, too.

STP22
12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
You`d be hard pressed to empty a tin of Imperial Die Wax anytime soon, unless your using non-carbide dies for straight wall pistol and/or rifle brass in tremendous volumes on a progressive press.

rockrat
12-03-2008, 12:11 AM
The 1-4 mix is a little too much lanolin. Mixed some today and worked well. think I will try a 1-6 ratio instead.

Sprue
12-05-2008, 08:57 PM
The 1-4 mix is a little too much lanolin. Mixed some today and worked well. think I will try a 1-6 ratio instead.

I prefer 1 to 5 parts of the Red Bottle Iso-Heet. Just be choosy about the type of bottle you use. Mine is in a heavier type 4 oz plastic spray bottle.

It will eat some plastics up.

I do use caution when sizing large cal rifle brass. Depending on the feel of things, I just may use plain lanolin.

I don't know what you are using for alcohol but I could never find the 99% stuff. I tried 91% though I was not satisfied by the separation. Someone on here advised the use of Iso-Heet. I like it best.

ddeaton
12-08-2008, 02:26 PM
I use car wax and alcohol. It works great, never had a problem. Small amount of wax, large amount of alcohol in a spray bottle. 20 or 30 cases in a gallon size freezer bag, with a couple quick squirts, roll around and dump out onto paper towel till dry. works great