PDA

View Full Version : safe primer storage

buggybuilder
07-31-2020, 06:35 PM
Is a 50 cal. military ammo can a safe way to store primers? I do not want to create a bomb! Probably will put them in the backyard storage shed.
I need a waterproof type storage container.

1hole
07-31-2020, 06:46 PM
A LOT of us keep our caps safe and dry in GI ammo cans. Some folk will always say don't do it but military ammo cans are made to rupture easily to vent excessive internal pressure. Keep your primers in the original container trays and everything should be fine.

Winger Ed.
07-31-2020, 06:48 PM
Should be fine.
When ammo cans go off, the primers-- are like loaded ammo-- they won't go off all at once.
Its like pop corn, a few will pop, then a progression of the others.

If that happens if there was a fire or something, the lid would spring open after the first few.
The rest will just hop around as they pop out in the open.

When loaded ammo is in a fire, I think the primers go off first, then the powder ignites.
Ammo cans are made to a spec. to not explode in that situation.
It'd be pretty exciting to see one pop open, but they won't fragment like a hand grenade.

If you have serious concerns, store them in good stout plastic bags, maybe doubled, and put those in a cardboard box or plastic tub.

A fire is the big concern.
I've been shooting, and ammo laying out got so hot, it was uncomfortable to handle. But none ever popped.
The temp. over in the sandbox often goes over 110, and the GIs over there don't seem to have a problem with cook offs.
Up there in the unexplored regions of North Texas--- you shouldn't either.

Shawlerbrook
07-31-2020, 06:48 PM
Probably would be safe but for powder you want something that is loosely put together. If for some reason they are set off, you don’t want something that will hold together under enormous pressure. You may want to look at something like a watertight Tupperware plastic container or even heavyweight ziplock bags .

Nelsonholsters
07-31-2020, 06:49 PM
I store all the primers I can find in a brass case cover in gun powder then plugged with lead then in a ammo box with a few of those moisture wicking packets.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
07-31-2020, 06:58 PM
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Info-Doc-Primers.pdf

lightman
07-31-2020, 07:56 PM
Primers still in the original packaging stored in ammo cans should be perfectly safe. Try to find a controlled environment for that ammo can. Somewhere without big temp swings.

poppy42
07-31-2020, 08:27 PM
If you wanted to be sure for insurance purposes I suggest that you look up the specific codes regarding primers and powder store for your municipality. Personally I wouldn’t store them in an outside shed unless it was in a temperature and moisture controlled environment. Storing them in an outside shed I’d be more concerned about them Corroding and going bad than I would be about them exploding or anything of such a nature.

megasupermagnum
07-31-2020, 08:38 PM
An ammo can works great. Most of my primers are in an MTM ammo crate like this. http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/mtm-ammunition-crate.php

I don't remember the size I got, but they fit the primer boxes perfectly. I've looked up the code for storage, but most of us are well over the limit. Limits are something like 15,000 primers. I've never counted mine, but it's way more than that. I didn't see anything specifically on storage though. Powder on the other hand did have a specific storage requirement of something like a crate made with 1" thick wood, with no sealing. I store my own powder in two places. One in cabinet made just for powder storage, I forget the brand. The other 1/2 I've got in a big plastic military surplus crate. Again powder limits were something like 20 pounds, and we are all way over that anyway.

Point being, don't fret the primers, an ammo can will work great. Powder, don't seal it, a wood crate may be the best option.

dragon813gt
07-31-2020, 09:40 PM
Storing them in an outside shed I’d be more concerned about them Corroding and going bad than I would be about them exploding or anything of such a nature.

Primers are one of the most stable things. I’m not promoting it, but you can get them wet then dry them out completely and they’re still going to fire. Storing them in an outside shed isn’t going to hurt them.

JimB..
07-31-2020, 09:58 PM
Primers are one of the most stable things. I’m not promoting it, but you can get them wet then dry them out completely and they’re still going to fire. Storing them in an outside shed isn’t going to hurt them.
Agree in part. With large temp swings you may get condensation which will collect in the cardboard packaging causing the primer cups to corrode. They’d probably still go bang, but working with them would not be easy or fun. Easily avoided with a sealed container and some desiccant. I also tend to seal things for storage in the winter when the humidity is naturally much lower.

Idaho45guy
07-31-2020, 10:32 PM
I can't have more than 10,000 primers stored in my home per Washington state law. Good thing I don't have more than that...

Mal Paso
07-31-2020, 11:14 PM
Old refrigerator, one with magnetic closure. The insulation moderates temperature and the door will open under pressure.

samari46
08-01-2020, 01:28 AM
I once bought a couple thousand virgin pull down 5.56 brass. They had advertised that the primers had been deactivated. Deprimed all of them and took a few out to the burn pile. Every one went bang. So dug a hole and buried them water jug and all. I had a gallon water jug all those primers went into full of water. The Lee Classic cast press has a barb you connect a hose to and I stick the hose in a water jug full of water. Dead or alive all goes into the jug. Frank

osteodoc08
08-01-2020, 01:56 AM
Ammo can in temp controlled part of house.

dverna
08-01-2020, 07:14 AM
Old refrigerator, one with magnetic closure. The insulation moderates temperature and the door will open under pressure.

Smart idea. I have been looking for a cheap fridge/freezer for a while.

I have well over the limit and used to store them in a heated outbuilding. It was costing too much to keep the space heated so thus the need for a change. I will likely vacuum pack my primers to reduce the risk of condensation. I may also add a 40 bulb to the fridge/freezer as our temperatures can drop to well below zero.

Good post dragon on the regs.

gwpercle
08-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Keep them in the original boxes / package
Ammo can storage is fine .
Keep them inside the house if you can ... I don't like keeping them in places that get hot ...100+ degree's ... then goes down to freezing in winter. I keep mine in house inside closet , on top shelf or ammo can on floor . Powder / primers and Wide temperature swings just doesn't seem like a great situation ... especially high heat .
Gary

Huskerguy
08-01-2020, 10:01 AM
If I read the linked article, thanks Dragon, putting primers in a "sealed container" is not recommended. My ammo cans are sealed, that is the point of them, to seal the ammo in.

Then, the ammo can would not be an acceptable storage device?

bedbugbilly
08-01-2020, 10:23 AM
I store my primers/percussion caps in ammo cans and have for years. I also have some stored in some of the plastic ammo cans from Harbor Freight and those containers have given no issues at all.

I don't like to keep a lot of powders in my cabinets above my loading bench so I usually may have three 1# containers of the powders I use most there - usually RD, BE and Unique. The rest are in their original containers inside of plastic "coolers" with tops that seal. Powders and primer are kept in my basement where it is cool and very little change in temperature during the change of seasons.

Mal Paso
08-01-2020, 10:30 AM
I had a fire, all the components were in original factory packaging including 5K boxes of primers. No explosion, everything in the shop was where it should be only burned. I think the rice, beans, flour and sugar I had stored did more damage. They warped the iron wheels of the bandsaw and melted a fridge down to the height of a stove.

About 800 Loaded, mostly full house 44Mag rounds cooked off in the car and there was not so much as a dent in the sheet metal. They were in 100 round plastic boxes. If it isn't confined it isn't a problem.

(The fire was Arson, illegal campfire, abandoned, still a real problem here right now.)

Dapaki
08-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Ammo cans for me, if I have a structure fire, I have vehicles with bug tanks of gas that will burst and engulf the space, the primers are a secondary worry.

shaune509
08-01-2020, 04:29 PM
The NFPA rule of 20k in personal auto and 10k in residence, what the f ?
Were these regs written when we all drove 6000+# cads and lived in 800 ft2 apartments? Right its from areas like Boston and NYC that require the use copper DWV over PVC as used in the free-re places like fly over USA. My primers are probly a total of over 20k with SP, LP, SR, LR, +magnums and 209 and some older 151SG along with 5-7 different sizes of berdan. Add to that <15# black, <5# BP sub, >45# smokeless powders and >35k loaded ammo of all types I must be living on a bomb. Its all stored inside in a locked area with an fire extinguisher at the door. Add to that the fuel, paint, solvents and welding supplies in the shop along with the wood pile behind the shop and the wheat field my life is gone according to the safety nazi's.
Shaune509
Edit I have had a fire marshal inspection within the past 5 years and pasted.

dragon813gt
08-01-2020, 05:20 PM
The NFPA came about because people were doing unsafe things. It’s the same reason for building code. Everyone thinks they know what they’re doing when in reality the majority don’t. Just ask any general contractor about all the screw ups they’ve had to fix over the years due to homeowners pretending they are contractors.

Not saying the codes don’t go to far. Because they certainly do. And they’ve been corrupted by corporations that get the use of their products mandated. But I’ve seen enough bad things when it comes to construction to appreciate the codes at a certain level.

bangerjim
08-01-2020, 06:15 PM
I keep the many thousand I have as "spares" in a bunch of 50cal METAL ammo cans in a spare room on the 2nd floor. Air tight, watertight so the are fresh.

JimB..
08-01-2020, 08:33 PM
The NFPA came about because people were doing unsafe things

I very strongly suspect it was because builders and general contractors were intentionally doing unsafe but not illegal things to make a buck.

You’re right that homeowners do some whacky stuff, but then so do a lot of GCs.

tominboise
08-01-2020, 08:44 PM
I store mine in the basement gun room in the original packaging, in a wooden cabinet I built years ago. Ammo is in a separate room in a metal locker. The humidity is low where I live and the basement stays pretty consistent in temp.

dragon813gt
08-01-2020, 08:44 PM
I very strongly suspect it was because builders and general contractors were intentionally doing unsafe but not illegal things to make a buck.

You’re right that homeowners do some whacky stuff, but then so do a lot of GCs.

Absolutely on both parts. Not all General Contractors can be trusted. There are plenty that will make it look pretty but if you look under the hood every corner possible has been cut.

The previous owner of my house thought they were a contractor. They did so much shoddy work. The topper is them cutting joist back 3’ from a supporting wall and just letting them “float”. The supporting wall is three courses of brick. They knocked out a 1’x10’ section and “supported” the wall above w a staggered setup of two by lumber. It started out as a two by that was cut to fit the hole completely. As they went in they stepped the lumber down. So it started at a 2x12 and ended at a 2x4. Needless to say this didn’t support anything. The windows above dipped six inches from one side the other. I have no clue how the wall didn’t fall completely. Same for the floor that the joists “supported”. There’s a reason I paid well below market value for my house. And after opening walls I still over paid by tens of thousands.

JimB..
08-01-2020, 08:52 PM
Absolutely on both parts. Not all General Contractors can be trusted. There are plenty that will make it look pretty but if you look under the hood every corner possible has been cut.

The previous owner of my house thought they were a contractor. They did so much shoddy work. The topper is them cutting joist back 3’ from a supporting wall and just letting them “float”. The supporting wall is three courses of brick. They knocked out a 1’x10’ section and “supported” the wall above w a staggered setup of two by lumber. It started out as a two by that was cut to fit the hole completely. As they went in they stepped the lumber down. So it started at a 2x12 and ended at a 2x4. Needless to say this didn’t support anything. The windows above dipped six inches from one side the other. I have no clue how the wall didn’t fall completely. Same for the floor that the joists “supported”. There’s a reason I paid well below market value for my house. And after opening walls I still over paid by tens of thousands.
Previous owner of mine knocked the joists out of a load bearing wall to make it “open floorplan.” Getting a new header in was no fun.

Another house the builder used the wrong joists throughout, homeowners didn’t realize it until after the statute had run. That place had sags everywhere after 10 years.

fecmech
08-04-2020, 02:08 PM
A friend who was a commercial reloader had a fire in his shop. The employee died and the place where 50k recently delivered primers had been stacked was a hole in the concrete floor. Don't get your panties in a wad over dampness in regards to primers. I came back from a cruise to find water in my basement and in my wooden magazine. Powder was no problem with plastic and metal containers but approx 600 sp and 500 209 shotshell primers were under water. After drying on top of my boiler for a couple weeks I tested some and they all fired. I then loaded them keeping them segregated from my other reloads and used them up. I had 0 problems with the sp reloads and 1 or 2 "poofers" with the shotshells. Those primers were under water for 5-6 days!