PDA

View Full Version : Which Would You Choose for a Home Defense Long Gun?

ohiochuck
07-31-2020, 03:00 PM
Pump Shotgun or a Lever Action Rifle such as the Winchester Model 1892?
Thanks!
Jim

Der Gebirgsjager
07-31-2020, 03:09 PM
Definitely a 12 Ga. pump shotgun. Very reliable. Wide choice of ammo to include slugs, buckshot, birdshot-- all lethal at close ranges.

FredBuddy
07-31-2020, 03:15 PM
20 ga pump, and/or 10/22.
(wife operates the 10/22 quite well)

38 spl for backup.

rking22
07-31-2020, 03:26 PM
“Home defense” unless you live in a mansion means 20 to 30 feet is long a shot as possiable, more like 10 feet in reality. 20 or 12 ga pump, no contest and no doubt.

MrWolf
07-31-2020, 03:28 PM
Could also get an ar15 in 410. They are fun. I have a Charles Daly.

cwtebay
07-31-2020, 03:31 PM
+1 on the shotgun - although my wife prefers her Taurus Judge for that, and nothing wrong with a 410 Henry lever either. For me it's not the hitting them part, it's the kids on the other side of the house part. So even a loaded down '92 in whatever caliber you choose is still going through drywall and remains deadly. Check out Lucky Gunner on YouTube. He has some really good videos (the one channel that uses actual scientific data to arrive at a conclusion) that speak to exactly your query.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Texas by God
07-31-2020, 03:35 PM
Remington 870 pump 12 gauge. Helping keep my house since 1979 when I got an apartment at age 21. Empty chamber, action closed with safety on. A 20 gauge would work just as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2A-Jay
07-31-2020, 03:48 PM
My Stevens (Savage) 320 Security 12ga pump gun with 00buck. any of my handguns to get me to the shotgun.

c0wb0y84
07-31-2020, 04:21 PM
How about a lever action shotgun? Best of both worlds!

The only reason a 12 ga would be chosen over a 20 ga is if it can run the mini shells for more rounds in the tube, other wise a 20 with buck and or slugs will be the better option.

Win94ae
07-31-2020, 04:21 PM
Just in case of a hostage situation, a lever-gun.

poppy42
07-31-2020, 04:22 PM
12 and 20 gauge shotguns make great home defense weapons. Here’s the exception. People tend to believe the hype about shotguns. That hype being “ a shotguns are great because you don’t have to aim them, just point and pull the trigger” They don’t bother to practice and become familiar with their weapons. They buy a shotgun load it and by put it in a corner and it sits there. Until, God forbid, it’s needed. If you decide to go with a shotgun you need to make sure that everyone in the household that has a potential or possibility to use that shotgun is proficient with the use and operation of that particular shotgun. Don’t forget if you should have to use your weapon to defend you and yours it’s probably going to occur at night where you’re possibly awoken from a sound sleep with adrenaline pumping through your system. the last thing you want is an inexperienced person grabbing a loaded shotgun, or rifle for that matter, when they’re really not that sure of how to use it. Rifles have there place But let’s not forget the tendency for a rifle to over penetrate depending on the particular round that it’s chambered for. A rifle is usually longer, harder to swing around, maneuver, and bring to aim in tight spaces such as hallways and smaller rooms. Generally in urban or suburban environments I personally don’t believe a rifle is a good choice. If you can hit your neighbors house with a rock without any effort you’re probably too close to your neighbors to be thinking about using a rifle for home defense. And as far as I’m concerned unless it’s absolutely the only weapon you have I don’t recommend a 22 lr of any sort as a home defense weapon. Although it certainly hurts to be shot with anything and the 22 is more than capable of stopping a threat bullet placement is the key. It is far more likely in the dark, in a stressful situation, awoken from a sound sleep, Statistically you are far more likely to miss the 10 ring with a 22. I am a big proponent of carrying a gun chambered for the largest round you can shoot proficiently. Those same principles I apply to a home defense weapon. If that does happen to be a 22 caliber long rifle it is certainly better than a brick. I know this doesn’t really answer your question these are only opinions, my opinions for what they’re worth. Only you can decide what’s right for you and yours in your particular situation. Whatever you decide on I would strongly suggest that you have every person that has the potential of using that weapon practice with it! For someone not willing to put the effort in I would suggest that a better option then a firearm would be a can of oven spray or wasp killer sitting on a nightstand. Most will shoot out a stream of at least 20 feet. It’s someone in the face you’re probably going to blind them cause lung burns and at the very least an awful lot of pain and discourage them from doing anything else but running and looking for water or something to flush themselves off with. Just don’t make the mistake of caring either one of those products out in public. In your own home no one can possibly say that you purchased it for anything more than its intended use. Carrying it in public he’s gonna turn you from the good guy and a victim into a bad guy real quick even if you don’t use it. Good luck with your decision and be safe

country gent
07-31-2020, 04:38 PM
I have been thinking about replacing the old 12 gauge riot gun with a 20 gauge riot model not because I think it better or more effective but the 12 is getting harder to handle recoil from the chair.

A friend and I tested several shotguns gauges and configurations with several buckshot loads. At realistic in house distances the charge expanded very little in size and the wad usually hit the target close to shot charge. effective yes but not the point and shoot people think.

Winger Ed.
07-31-2020, 04:56 PM
12 ga. Pump riot shotgun, and a ugly one too.

The bigger and uglier of a gun you point at someone---- the less chance you'll need to use it.

Budzilla 19
07-31-2020, 04:59 PM
OP, in my opinion,only,( this is my set-up) Rem. 870 12 gauge with a 24" cylinder bore barrel, extended magazine, 7 rounds in the tube, one in the chamber, all 1 1/4 oz. #6 birdshot. Old house with wooden walls, but still not going to use buckshot in the house. Empty chamber?????????????? Not on your life, pal, i want it ready for action and the safety off!! Racking a shotgun in the dark just lets your intruder know where you are now. Defensive shotgun classes are worth the money! Just my opinion only. As long as you are armed, it will tilt the odds in your favor........ every time!

Be safe , guys. ( it's a little nuts out there right now)

DougGuy
07-31-2020, 05:00 PM
12Ga with 2oz goose loads is exactly what I keep here, of course that is backed up with an AR in 300AAC, a couple 1911s, and a Kahr CW45. Once the goose loads are expended, it gets to 00 buck and ends with slugs.

tankgunner59
07-31-2020, 05:08 PM
Mine is a 12 Gauge shotgun.

Budzilla 19
07-31-2020, 05:13 PM
Dang, Doug!! I LIKE IT!!!!! Hahahaha!! Off subject, i know, but, WOWW!!

bangerjim
07-31-2020, 05:26 PM
Shotguns are good....................until you have to repair the walls, doors, floors, windows, and furniture that were behind the target you shot at with, in the panic of the moment, 5 or six rounds! Shotguns make a total mess of the target AND everything and around behind the target.

They make a great universal "church key" for SWAT entering a room. They just blow the hinges off the doors in three easy shots.

I have had several law enforcement friends of mine tell me to use a shotgun ONLY as a last ditch protection. Sure, thinking of guts and brains of an evil invader of your home blasted into oblivion is cool talk sitting around with your gun buddies, but when real logic kicks in, a shotgun is NOT for inside use in any way!

So if you are REEEEEELY into home repair (and lots of it), go for the shotgun. I prefer my 357MAG or 44MAG for pure accurate stopping power. And my 40 S&W XDM for quick action and dead-on targeting.

Just pray you never need any of them! I sure do!

banger

smkummer
07-31-2020, 05:29 PM
Use what you have but cycling a lever gun may be a disadvantage to a compact AR. Hard to wrestle a 2” revolver from you. The bigger the shotgun barrel, the better. There are low recoil 12 ga. shells. Have options, know where they are fast but safe from those who shouldn’t be touching guns.

Baltimoreed
07-31-2020, 05:41 PM
Neither one, a .45 DA revolver or 1911 with a weak hand tactical light would be my choice. Can shoot it one handed while holding the light away from my body or to defend myself if surprised by an attacker. Don’t have to worry about him getting between me and the muzzle. Either the pump or lever is basically a single shot if your weak hand or arm is involved in doing something else or injured, not a good thing. And finally the .45s make a nice big hole.

rking22
07-31-2020, 05:48 PM
Under any situation that forced me to use a gun in the house, repairing the Sheetrock and slopping up the mess is just a nonissue. Something inside my home intent on harming my family, I want the most power I have available that I can use proficiently, and I am most proficient with an 870. There’s a handgun beside the bed but I will grab the 870 if I have time. Lever guns are fine to hunt or play with but not my cup of tea when evil is about. Too much motion of my trigger hand and things(like a bolt) emerging and needing to return, then a hammer and in some cases these stupid new safety thingies, nope not a good plan. I hunt and compete with 870s, I know them inside out and trust them to work every time, based on firing 10s of thousands of rounds thru them over my life time. The dispersion, at household distance, is just not a bunch different than a single bullet, but the terminal effect of that .720 bore is notably more and my time to deliver a 2nd if needed is quite short.

Rick Hodges
07-31-2020, 06:19 PM
12ga. pump shotgun with cyl. bore loaded with 2 3/4" #4 BUCK. My first choice for wet work inside of 30 yds.

dverna
07-31-2020, 06:23 PM
I live in a very rural area. I have both a Mossy 500 shotgun and AR 5.56. I currently use low recoil stuff in the 12 ga and can reload soft shooting 12 ga if need be. With either gun, it would be wise to wear hearing protection if fired indoors. If someone busts through the door wall or window a Glock and Kahr are next to the bed.

I have a Universal clone of the .30 cal military M-1 and think it would be a dandy choice. Short and light weight and little recoil. Just need to get off my butt and work up some SP loads. Too bad the originals are so expensive.

c0wb0y84
07-31-2020, 10:07 PM
Neither one, a .45 DA revolver or 1911 with a weak hand tactical light would be my choice. Can shoot it one handed while holding the light away from my body or to defend myself if surprised by an attacker.

If that’s how you train and are proficient then great but I wouldn’t recommend this to someone seeking advice on self defense with a firearm. You would be better off with a weapon mounted light and a strong hand supported position than an oddly balanced strong hand unsupported position as accuracy suffers as well as recoil control and you’re not gaining much by moving the point of focus of an attacker up and to the left two feet vs hitting the attacker in the face with a really bright light. You only have to worry about aiming the light and firearm as a unit as opposed to aiming a firearm with one hand and separately aiming a light with the other.

c0wb0y84
07-31-2020, 10:15 PM
With either gun, it would be wise to wear hearing protection if fired indoors.

This is very valid and often overlooked. If your home defense plan includes a 12 ga then you should find someway to experience the sound and shockwave of one going off in a narrow hallway or bedroom. It’s not the same as firing one in an indoor gun range.

c0wb0y84
07-31-2020, 10:25 PM
Shotguns are good....................until you have to repair the walls, doors, floors, windows, and furniture that were behind the target you shot at with, in the panic of the moment, 5 or six rounds! Shotguns make a total mess of the target AND everything and around behind the target.

I have had several law enforcement friends of mine tell me to use a shotgun ONLY as a last ditch protection.

Neither one of these comments correlate with my experience. At 15 yds with 00 buck I have usually only one at most three pellets off silhouette out of a 14” barreled 12ga 870 after firing 15 rounds rapid firing sets of 5.

Against soft targets within 30 yards, a sbs with buckshot or slugs would be my first choice followed by an ar style carbine with red dot and a handgun last as last ditch protection.

Baltimoreed
07-31-2020, 10:41 PM
‘ If that’s how you train and are proficient then great but I wouldn’t recommend this to someone seeking advice on self defense with a firearm.’
I’ll agree with you that one handed shooting of a big calber handgun is not for a newbe so a .38 would be much more appropriate but my comment was what I would use. I shoot 100% of my cas and Wild Bunch shoots as a duelist. And other combat pistol matches though not as often as a duelist.

kens
07-31-2020, 10:48 PM
There was such a conversation around the campfire some years ago.
Seems the best gun is the one you got the most ammo for.....
Seems the easiest one to use in a backup situation where a lesser experienced person needs to cover your butt, is a long barreled lever gun.
Imagine a gun as simple as a lever gun, and it holds approx 15 rounds of .44mag.
Anybody on your side of the fight can use it, and umpteen rounds of .44mag is a no-joke

TNsailorman
08-01-2020, 10:13 AM
I have a .357 within 18 inches of my pillow, a tomahawk 12 inches from my hand(between the mattress and the bed rail), and a 12 gauge Remington 870 with a 19 inch barrel about 3 feet away from me in the corner. I and most of my law enforcement friends have always considered the 12 gauge shotgun(pump or SbyS) to be the ultimate defense weapon at anything 50 feet or under. The alarm is set every night and the doors locked with all lights out. If someone comes into my house at night, he will have more trouble than he could ever imagine. I have lived in this house 49 years and I can walk thru my house with all the lights out without having to feel my way thru. I would recommend everyone try this a few times as a practice so that if the worst comes to worst, they will have an advantage. Oh by the way, my wife has a .38 S&W model 15 about 12 inches from her head also. I am between her and the entrance door to the bedroom(which is locked also at night). I pray that I will never have to use these weapons on another human being but I would if I had to. If I go down, I go down fighting, james

pietro
08-01-2020, 10:27 AM

Definitely a shotgun, given a rifle projectile's possibility of passing through a human, carrying on to other rooms and people inside or outside the home.

Since, IMO, "home" defense means somebody's actually trying to directly enter the home, ergo the distances involved inside a dwelling would make ANY gauge shotgun very effective - as within those short distances the shot charge will effectively act like a solid mass (slug).

I elected for a self-modified 20ga pump, YMMV.

https://i.imgur.com/dAy7EGTl.jpg

Dapaki
08-01-2020, 10:59 AM
HOLY_RUN_ON_SENTENCE!!! Sorry, didn't tread it, couldn't.

12 and 20 gauge shotguns make great home defense weapons. Here’s the exception. People tend to believe the hype about shotguns. That hype being “ a shotguns are great because you don’t have to aim them, just point and pull the trigger” They don’t bother to practice and become familiar with their weapons. They buy a shotgun load it and by put it in a corner and it sits there. Until, God forbid, it’s needed. If you decide to go with a shotgun you need to make sure that everyone in the household that has a potential or possibility to use that shotgun is proficient with the use and operation of that particular shotgun. Don’t forget if you should have to use your weapon to defend you and yours it’s probably going to occur at night where you’re possibly awoken from a sound sleep with adrenaline pumping through your system. the last thing you want is an inexperienced person grabbing a loaded shotgun, or rifle for that matter, when they’re really not that sure of how to use it. Rifles have there place But let’s not forget the tendency for a rifle to over penetrate depending on the particular round that it’s chambered for. A rifle is usually longer, harder to swing around, maneuver, and bring to aim in tight spaces such as hallways and smaller rooms. Generally in urban or suburban environments I personally don’t believe a rifle is a good choice. If you can hit your neighbors house with a rock without any effort you’re probably too close to your neighbors to be thinking about using a rifle for home defense. And as far as I’m concerned unless it’s absolutely the only weapon you have I don’t recommend a 22 lr of any sort as a home defense weapon. Although it certainly hurts to be shot with anything and the 22 is more than capable of stopping a threat bullet placement is the key. It is far more likely in the dark, in a stressful situation, awoken from a sound sleep, Statistically you are far more likely to miss the 10 ring with a 22. I am a big proponent of carrying a gun chambered for the largest round you can shoot proficiently. Those same principles I apply to a home defense weapon. If that does happen to be a 22 caliber long rifle it is certainly better than a brick. I know this doesn’t really answer your question these are only opinions, my opinions for what they’re worth. Only you can decide what’s right for you and yours in your particular situation. Whatever you decide on I would strongly suggest that you have every person that has the potential of using that weapon practice with it! For someone not willing to put the effort in I would suggest that a better option then a firearm would be a can of oven spray or wasp killer sitting on a nightstand. Most will shoot out a stream of at least 20 feet. It’s someone in the face you’re probably going to blind them cause lung burns and at the very least an awful lot of pain and discourage them from doing anything else but running and looking for water or something to flush themselves off with. Just don’t make the mistake of caring either one of those products out in public. In your own home no one can possibly say that you purchased it for anything more than its intended use. Carrying it in public he’s gonna turn you from the good guy and a victim into a bad guy real quick even if you don’t use it. Good luck with your decision and be safe

Dapaki
08-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Not telling, the baddies will just have to find out.

Drm50
08-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Worked with a master machinist one time that was a functional alkey. He was divorced in his 50s and lived in a nice little cottage he had built in younger years as summer camp on a nice creek. Well he had to leave his truck at garage for repairs and they rode him home. With no vehicle and no lights on some no goods broke in. Waking him up, in half drunken stupor he commenced shooting with a deer rifle. He didn’t hit any of them but did all kind of damage to his house. His deer rifle was a 401 Win with custom 9 shot magazine he had made. You ought to see damage a 401 does going through kitchen cabinets full of dishes.

dragon813gt
08-01-2020, 01:17 PM

The post has punctuation for sentences. It’s just not broken into paragraphs. The wall of text is a turn off.

DougGuy
08-01-2020, 01:27 PM
12ga. pump shotgun with cyl. bore loaded with 2 3/4" #4 BUCK. My first choice for wet work inside of 30 yds.

This load USED to be the defacto standard issue to the PD in Norfolk, VA, until the crack and meth epidemics, and it failed to stop several subjects hopped up on chemicals, leaving the officers vulnerable to the continuing menace of the thugs.

I have fired some of the NPD #4 buck reloads in my 500, and they are HOT. They went to 00 buck last I knew.

ShooterAZ
08-01-2020, 02:34 PM
12 Ga 870 lives behind the bedroom door, and a 2" S&W Model 10 lives on the nightstand.

toallmy
08-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Sliding my hand under the pillow knowing right where that 1911 is , is a very comforting feeling . But the Mossberg loaded isn't to bad either if you hear someone banging around the house at night . Be safe

Shawlerbrook
08-01-2020, 02:57 PM
Shotgun !

mikeingeorgia
08-02-2020, 03:19 AM
I keep a 12 ga handy in the event I have uninvited "guests". I added a light called iProtec that I believe I found on Amazon. It is a very bright red light, and the width of the beam is adjustable. The really cool feature is the button that activates the light. It's a spring loaded button, and there's a coiled wire, similar to a tabletop phone handset, that connects the button to the light. That way, your hand can maintain it's natural grip while you're working the pump. If that doesn't dissuade the rapscallions, then the 300 Blackout will have to come out to play.

Good Cheer
08-02-2020, 09:01 AM
If a shotgun is all you have then you're just one weapon away from a panic attack like Evil Roy Slade suffered in the psychiatrist's office.
:bigsmyl2:

And yeah, I like a 12 gauge but hey, a one hand snub nose double action no-think-'em* of some sort (stainless because pillows can cause rust) is almost as good as melatonin. Seems to me that .41 is the Goldilocks zone.

*Duh, did I rack one into the chamber? And where'd that safety go?

Baltimoreed
08-02-2020, 10:24 AM
While a long gun would be appropriate to have with your family if you are barricaded in your safe room I don’t see any advantage of 16-20 inches of bbl [with a light on the bbl] if you decide to investigate something suspicious in the middle of the night. Unless you have mirrors all over your house to see around all the blind corners most homes have your long bbl is a liability. I’d rather have a 4-5 inch bbl handgun held close with a tactical light in my weak hand. If the sound turns into my 20 year old grandson I’ve not swept him with a loaded gun in an adrenaline fueled state. My handgun can always be extended with support from my weak hand for a more accurate shot. I personally like the Harries method. Just my .02.

c0wb0y84
08-02-2020, 02:23 PM
And yeah, I like a 12 gauge but hey, a one hand snub nose double action no-think-'em* of some sort (stainless because pillows can cause rust) is almost as good as melatonin. Seems to me that .41 is the Goldilocks zone.

On a good day with low stress most of the people I’ve trained on the range are only good to about 5 yds firing strong or weak hand unsupported. Add in a real life adrenaline dump and that would decrease their accuracy. I realize that the people on this forum are most likely much better shooters than what I’m dealing with but still LEOs that carry weapons on the daily. Although I also know that just bc one carries a gun every day doesn’t mean they’re what I would consider proficient with it.

Also to clarify my earlier post, I was advocating short barreled shotguns and rifles. Not full length as that would be very cumbersome in close quarters as others have mentioned. I also wouldn’t try to persuade someone from changing something that they already know works for them. You can’t argue against proven results regardless of what theory or textbooks say.

Lastly if someone is at the level of not knowing whether a round is in the chamber or how to manipulate the safety by muscle memory then they need to buy a lot more training ammo or invest in a quality Louisville slugger instead.

Texas by God
08-02-2020, 02:45 PM
If a shotgun is all you have then you're just one weapon away from a panic attack like Evil Roy Slade suffered in the psychiatrist's office.
:bigsmyl2:

Evil Roy Slade! John Aston and Dom Deluise! That bit was hilarious- he had so many weapons on him.

Baltimoreed
08-02-2020, 03:41 PM
When I first got married my dad, who lived wiith us, would travel and leave my new wife home alone with our infant son. No problem when I was on days or 4-12 but she was very anxious when I was on 12-8s so I bought her a baseball bat. It lived in the corner next to the bed for 20-30 years, never needed it but it gave her peace of mind. I tried to make her into a shooter and she tried, even shot a couple of cas shoots, but she wasn’t a gun person. But she loved the Baltimore Orioles and wouldn’t have minded swinging that bat.

BFJ
08-02-2020, 05:37 PM
12 ga. shotgun for me.

dolfinwriter
08-02-2020, 07:11 PM
This is very valid and often overlooked. If your home defense plan includes a 12 ga then you should find someway to experience the sound and shockwave of one going off in a narrow hallway or bedroom. It’s not the same as firing one in an indoor gun range.

I don't know if this is a good facsimile, but I once shot at a range in Denver while on travel working in Co. Springs for a couple of weeks. The ceiling and walls were really close and even though just a 9mm because we were breaking in a coworker who never used a handgun before, every report basically reverberated in my head. I was actually glad to leave there after shooting a couple boxes of ammo. Maybe that would get somebody the idea anyway.

GBertolet
08-02-2020, 07:14 PM
I have yet to see anyone here recommend a 12ga semi auto. Many folks tend to short stroke a pump while under duress, especially the less experienced gun handlers. A semi auto eliminates this possibility. Maybe you won't short stroke a pump, but maybe a family member might, at the worst possible moment.

Just throwing this possibility out there for thought.

dolfinwriter
08-02-2020, 07:15 PM
The post has punctuation for sentences. It’s just not broken into paragraphs. The wall of text is a turn off.

Yes, a little white space once in a while does wonders. Kinda like coming up for air...

stubshaft
08-03-2020, 01:29 AM
Pistol gripped short barrel 12 gauge pump like the model 870 sitting next to me.

Drew P
08-03-2020, 01:39 AM
Moss berg 12ga and various pistols. Flashlight on the shotty and one pistol

samari46
08-03-2020, 01:47 AM
I bought two rem 870 pump riot guns at a local gun show few years back. One cost $190 and the other was $220. Covered in rust. Was but the work of a few hours and some motor oil and 4/0 steel wool to remove all the rust. Best part there was no pitting. Only had to work on one to get it up to speed. Some fool shot it with not having the mag tube cap not fully snugged down. So where the back end of the barrel extension touches the receiver it raised a big burr. Filed and stoned down that burr and lightly polished it with my dremel tool. Said so in Jerry Knuhausens book on the 879 shotguns. Best part is that both came with mag extensions. One has a 18" barrel and the other is a 20" barrel. #4 buckshot shoots great in both shotguns. Took both out to the range and asked the R/O where it would be best for me to check the operation. I just wanted to check the operation and make sure they would go bang. He stuck me on one of the target frames way at the end. Both guns performed perfectly and put about 40 rounds through each gun. Since the recoil pads had ossified from rubber to hard as a rock I pulled the old pads and installed two limb saver slip om pads. What a difference, actual felt recoil reduced dramatically. Redid the stock on one and have to check my stash of 870 riot gun wood and pick out the best for the other one. You just don't slap on a different forend on a pump shotgun. Too much to one side and you'll either scar the receiver and crack the wood. Install the new one leaving the mag tube lock ring loose so you can rotate it left or right and get it well centered before you snug down on the nut. Frank

okietwolf
08-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Home defense here starts with 100 pound Great Pyrenees female and a 140 pound South African Boerboel (Mastiff). So, the shotgun option is low here. Don't want a bigger risk of hitting puppers. So I do have a Marlin cowboy 45 Colt, 300 grain lead semi wad cutters over HP38, with an unfortunate light attached, on a quick mount to slip off to weak hand, followed up with a Smith mountain gun in Colt also. If I have to get to the single action Dragoon.....it has 45 Colt hunting loads in it. 300 grain xtp hollows with 16.5 grains of Lilgun.

derek45
08-03-2020, 09:24 PM
choose the one you have the most experience, confidence, and muscle memory with

Pete44mag
08-03-2020, 09:50 PM
I like my 12 gauge 3" magnum 870 loaded with #4 buckshot. My 90 pound Chesapeake Bay Retriever will slow them down long enough to get a good bead on them.

W.R.Buchanan
08-03-2020, 11:17 PM
If you haven't noticed by now it would appear that the majority of guys here prefer the 12 ga Shotgun. So do I!!! and my 5 shotgun classes at Front Sight made me very confident using it.

You need a light on it so you can see what you are shooting at. 00 Buck is the load of choice. I prefer Rifle Sights on my guns as they get used beyond home defense distances and I want to be able to place a slug accurately, like in the rear window of the car that is speeding away after a Home Invasion.

Home Invasion is serious business and thinking they are there for fun is not conducive to Optimum Survival. Dealing with it you want the maximum amount of power you can "Accurately" apply to the subject. Just like shooting a Game Animal 1 shot is the best way to dispatch it. This is why a pistol is not the best Idea, most people can't shoot a pistol well enough under no stress to be effective,,, let alone in a full blown Incident. I shoot a pistol pretty well but in a hostage situation I'd much rather have my shotgun. My Shotguns all have Vang Comped barrels and they put 00 buck into <7" at 25 yards, at <10 yards it is about 1.5"

And I would highly recommend that you have all your doubts about Killing someone settled long before you need it, because when it happens you won't have time to ponder the meaning of life. You will only have time to Act.

Your "willingness" to act decisively and without hesitation is what will save you and yours.

Here's mine

Randy

Ozark mike
08-04-2020, 12:39 AM
Shotgun but mine has to be a sxs not pump

fecmech
08-04-2020, 02:40 PM
I have yet to see anyone here recommend a 12ga semi auto. Many folks tend to short stroke a pump while under duress, especially the less experienced gun handlers. A semi auto eliminates this possibility. Maybe you won't short stroke a pump, but maybe a family member might, at the worst possible moment.
I agree. I have watched many shooters come to shoot sporting clays with pumps either forget to pump for a second shot or short stroke the gun. That is only with the pressure of a second target, not after a home invasion adrenaline dump! If you have a pump you had better practice with it.

kaiser
08-04-2020, 07:08 PM
I agree with those that say to use the weapon you are confident in, competent using, and mentally prepared to pull the trigger on. If you're worried bout the damage to the inside of your home over the damage the "perp", or perps are going to inflict on you or your loved ones - get on your cell phone and call 911 and wait for your law enforcement to come to your rescue (sarc). You are responsible for your safety! the "mess" you will have to deal with after you have fired your weapon at an assailant, and the cost of the lawyer fees you will pay will make the destruction of a door or wall seem inconsequential.

Buy and use what you can handle, not necessarily what is recommended by people who live daily with weapons; and practice as if your life depends on it. Furnishings can be repaired or replaced, your body has a limited warranty when it comes to survival of an event by a criminal with intent to harm you or yours.

I personally chose the shotgun for its deadly "looking" defense, big bore barrel (20ga or larger), resulting sound when fired, and because it is a firearm more feared by most "hoodlums" than a pistol or rifle waved around in their face. They also know what is associated with the sound of a "slide action" being worked, if that is your choice. Most civilian fire fights are short events, according to Law Enforcement "stats". You and your dwelling is picked as a "target" because they think the occupants are vulnerable or easy prey. Once they hear or see gunfire by an occupant who is intent on surviving, they usually seek other targets or another occupation that is of less risk. My .02. BTW, I always have a pistol near by, but that is just to insure I can get to my primary weapon of choice!

poppy42
08-04-2020, 11:43 PM

Your loss

shdwlkr
08-05-2020, 08:53 AM
Just curious how many of you have a shotgun or any firearm within reach 24/7/365 and when you are taking a shower or cooking as examples do you do so with a firearm at hand?

GhostHawk
08-05-2020, 09:12 AM
12 ga Shotgun for me, I prefer pump. Mine are all older Rem 870 Wingmasters.

Part of the reason I prefer shotgun is that with small shot there is a vastly decreased chance of a projectile going through both sides of a wall and killing a family member (Or uninvolved civilian) in the next room.

Lever guns are fine but a full power .30-30 round is not going to be stopped by 2 pieces of 5/8ths Sheet rock.
When you plan for in house defense you need to take into account who could be there.
You do not want to trigger a .30-30 round at a bad guy, miss, and end up killing your grand daughter a room over. You dont want to do that.
So the smart man eliminates that as a possibility. He takes the .30-30 out of play. Put it in the same room as your family would retreat to. Teach your wife, son, daughter, SOMEONE to use it effectively, and super carefull.

And all this is what I figured out, YMMV.

Ohh and once they are out and running, let em go. They are no longer a threat. Shoot them and you become the bad guy. So let them go.
Go love your family, they are scared.

Baltimoreed
08-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Just curious how many of you have a shotgun or any firearm within reach 24/7/365 and when you are taking a shower or cooking as examples do you do so with a firearm at hand?
If I have my pants on or my bath robe on there is a lightweight .38 spcl or .380 in a pocket.

Texas by God
08-05-2020, 07:12 PM
Just curious how many of you have a shotgun or any firearm within reach 24/7/365 and when you are taking a shower or cooking as examples do you do so with a firearm at hand?That reminds me. I need to get a Hi-Point pistol for the master shower! You know, hanging from the shower head. Empty Chamber Of course.

Baltimoreed
08-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Keep your bullets in the shampoo bottle. Wouldn’t want the church ladies or in-laws to think you're ‘odd’. Just safe.

GhostHawk
08-05-2020, 09:19 PM
No, don't have one in the shower. Could be done though. I have a cabinet next to the shower I could hang a pistol in a gallon zip lock bag on. Out of sight of the average person. Water proof. Yeah that would work.

I have 2 at my recliner, a whole series of shotguns and a RIA .38 special 4" barrel next to the bed.
Basement the Yugo SKS sits with a full mag and the bolt locked open. Take less than 2 seconds to get into action. And a box just below it with 100 rounds in stripper clips.

Kitchen door has a stun gun, a crossbow, and a whole slew of knives close.

The Hipoint Carbines and a Win 94ae .30-30 are centrally located out of sight but in easy reach.
And yes they are loaded, action locked open. Extra mags in clip on the stock.

I'm ready.

bangerjim
08-06-2020, 12:08 PM
This thread lets all the bad guys know where all our hideout guns are.

4given
08-06-2020, 01:25 PM
870 18.5" BBL 12 ga 00 buck

Three44s
08-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Since this thread is about long guns, my top pick is my Police 870 12 ga. (Wingmaster)

Next is my 16” M4 carbine, third is my 1894 Marlin in 357 (44 Mag if I had one)

But my first pick is not a long gun but rather a 4” barreled double action revolver because I do not want to end up with an intruder controlling my muzzle. They may reach for my revolver but I have a much better chance to still fire a decapacitating round because I can fend off the advance with one hand and fire point blank with the other.

But as these discussions go we gun owners start with “the gun” and that is wrong. If the incident starts with a gun we have nearly lost the engagement before it has started.

There are a lot of resources available so I will not belabor the issue but the fact that is over looked all too often is that we need rings of security. Waking up to an intruder violating your private space is a disaster about to be written.

An item you probably have not considered about lights is a remote control on a light away from your sleeping area with the control on your night stand. We have a lamp in the greater part of our house controlled by a small wireless portable controller.

Three44s

Ozark mike
08-08-2020, 08:17 PM
The thing about a shotgun is low penetration for those who are saying ya need a 44mag sure go ahead butcher your family or neighbors if ya live in town while you are at it. Seen a 44 go through a 10 inch post oak then continue through the deer out of a ruger 44 auto my mom was hunting with. Great for shooting heavy game a lil to much for stopping a 180lb crackhead a .22lr could deal with. My dad shot a drunk with a .30 carbine the fella almost bled to death before he got to the hospital but the bullit continued on thru 3 2x4s and that was with kids in the house. So if ya ask me shoot em with some bird shot or small buckshot and preserve your family and neighbors cause you may not like the next ones

Thunder Stick
08-08-2020, 08:49 PM
I choose the lever. Because in a hostage situation where a bad guy has latched onto a loved one, that bullet will go exactly where I put it.

LtFrankDrebbin
08-09-2020, 06:25 AM
Just speed reading through this thread at what hardware some of you have on stand by highlights what a sad world we live in today.
I don't blame anyone one bit and I totally understand.
Unfortunately in my world if I shot an intruder I would be the criminal and get locked up. So all I have is a shovel or the fire poker or just the plain old fists backed up with berserk attitude.

If it were legal here any gun is better than none.

Good Cheer
08-09-2020, 08:58 AM
"Lastly if someone is at the level of not knowing whether a round is in the chamber or how to manipulate the safety by muscle memory then they need to buy a lot more training ammo or invest in a quality Louisville slugger instead."

Yeah, I knew that comment was coming and wasn't disappointed. The truth of the matter is that for my household waking up out of a sound sleep in your bedroom with seconds to get your stuff in one bag isn't the time to wonder about the status of a semi-auto or for a flesh and blood being to be reacting on automatic responses. That's why we have revolvers rather than pistols, a matter of selecting the proper tool for the application.

veeman
08-09-2020, 09:36 AM
For long gun, my Stoeger Double Barrel Cowboy coach gun will be sufficient. But I keep various 1911's about the place for home protection, loaded with home defense ammo.

bedbugbilly
08-09-2020, 11:41 AM
shot barreled 20 gauge pump would be my 1st choice

Rick R
08-09-2020, 01:57 PM
I live alone (with dog), nearest neighbor is over 100 yards away with a hill between our homes.
I always have the pistol d'jour near to hand.
1st choice is a Recce style M4 with light and red dot sight. Chamber empty, 20 round magazine in place.
2nd choice would be my 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag with an empty chamber, loaded magazine.
3rd choice would be a Stoeger M3K semiauto 12ga with 00 Buckshot, probably with chamber loaded, full magazine, safety on.

It is what it is.

Eddie Southgate
08-09-2020, 02:31 PM
My choice has always been a 1917 Winchester m1912 with 20" barrel as my first line of defense backed up by an M1 Carbine . The 12 ga for inside and the rifle gets the nod if the trouble moves outdoors . Always have a handgun to back either one .

bangerjim
08-09-2020, 02:44 PM
The thing about a shotgun is low penetration for those who are saying ya need a 44mag sure go ahead butcher your family or neighbors if ya live in town while you are at it. Seen a 44 go through a 10 inch post oak then continue through the deer out of a ruger 44 auto my mom was hunting with. Great for shooting heavy game a lil to much for stopping a 180lb crackhead a .22lr could deal with. My dad shot a drunk with a .30 carbine the fella almost bled to death before he got to the hospital but the bullit continued on thru 3 2x4s and that was with kids in the house. So if ya ask me shoot em with some bird shot or small buckshot and preserve your family and neighbors cause you may not like the next ones

It's called LIGHT loading. I load all my 44M and 357M "protection rounds" to perform similar to a 45LC in velocity and kick-back. Excellent stopping power with minimal penetration. And those are all hollow points, too!

banger

W.R.Buchanan
08-09-2020, 03:11 PM
As far as forgetting to rack the gun after firing,, That has to be learned and drilled until it is second nature.

I tried shooting skeet with my M37 and was fine on singles but as soon as the doubles came in I was not racking the slide fast enough to make the second shot. That was about 3 years ago.

After 5 Tactical Shotgun Classes at Front Sight it is second nature now. Actually I was pretty much good to go after the third class, but that was literally after hundreds of rounds down range. I am a slow learner when it comes to Muscle Memory type things . This is a Muscle Memory type thing.

The term that applies is "Riding the Recoil." This means as soon as the Shot Breaks the Slide is unlocked and can be Racked. The slide/bolt is released for movement as soon as the hammer falls, so theoretically you can move the slide rearwards as soon as the primer is struck.

Fortunately your reflexes aren't that Quick, but still, I can have the gun ready to fire before it comes out of Recoil It takes me about 10-15 dummy rounds in practice to keep this skill alive, but it took a few hundred rounds of training to get it down pat.

If you can shoot skeet with a pump you're good to go.

Randy

derek45
08-09-2020, 04:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/b0kIQw2.jpg

Kraschenbirn
08-09-2020, 06:48 PM
'Nother vote for a Rem 870...same one I used for all those years in shotgun side-matches. 18" cylinder-bore w/fiber optic sights, extended mag, and #2 buckshot.

Bill

pocketace
08-09-2020, 09:45 PM
semi automatic. .308 bullet hornady 110 grain half jacket soft point.

c0wb0y84
08-09-2020, 10:56 PM
The term that applies is "Riding the Recoil." This means as soon as the Shot Breaks the Slide is unlocked and can be Racked. The slide/bolt is released for movement as soon as the hammer falls, so theoretically you can move the slide rearwards as soon as the primer is struck.
Randy

Most pump action shotgunners don't know this and even fewer train to shoot this way. I know of at least one guy that trained to the point that he was racking the action faster than shells could be released by the shell latches in order to chamber. He had to re-time his action bars to release consistently in time with his racking. It was quite impressive to watch.

rking22
08-09-2020, 11:23 PM
As far as pump shotguns, most people have no idea how to shoot one. If riding the recoil means holding rearward pressure on the forend, don’t try that with a M12. It has a lock that requires foreword movement of the slide to unlock. That is seemlessly provided by the recoil when using a firm lead hand. Was shooting my WS1 M12 today on skeet doubles, 48/50 and breakpoints the same as when I use an overunder. Have no trouble breaking international skeet doubles with it either, plenty fast if you actually learn to shoot one. Cycling a quality pump gun becomes second nature when you shoot one a while. My son ran the round the very first time he shot the M12, almost forgot to cycle for the Sta 1 double but got it and has been seamless ever since. He grew up shooting skeet with an OU, but with me shooting an 870 or M12. He knew what it was supposed to look like and picked it up quickly.

farmbif
08-10-2020, 12:59 AM
my 1100 with 16" barrel has never failed to feed or fire

farmbif
08-10-2020, 01:05 AM
most rooms in most houses are 10 to 20 feet , take some 1/2 or 3/4 plywood outside and shoot it with a 12 gauge loaded with even just a 1 1/8 oz skeet load at 15 feet
if shot someone with that same load center mass its not likely they will ever be able to do anyone any harm.

Sc0
08-10-2020, 06:59 AM
The Winchester 1200/1300/SXP and FN P12 all had the speed-pump feature. You maintain rearward pressure on the pump handle, and as soon as the weapon fires you use the recoil to assist you in chambering the next round. A relatively nice feature to have compared to other shotguns... As far as a long gun for home defense, they are in the safe but do have my carry pistol at hand...

Texas by God
08-10-2020, 07:20 AM
my 1100 with 16" barrel has never failed to feed or fire18" maybe I hope?

Thunder Stick
08-10-2020, 07:56 AM
The Winchester 1200/1300/SXP and FN P12 all had the speed-pump feature. You maintain rearward pressure on the pump handle, and as soon as the weapon fires you use the recoil to assist you in chambering the next round. A relatively nice feature to have compared to other shotguns... As far as a long gun for home defense, they are in the safe but do have my carry pistol at hand...

I have a Win 1300 and it is a great gun. Very fast follow up shots on missed clays. (Don't ask.) My friends who own Remingtons and Mossbergs want a 1300 after shooting mine.

Toots McGrubbner
08-10-2020, 03:52 PM
M1 Carbine loaded with Winchester X30M1 110 grain HSP loads in two 15 round mags taped together like Audie Murphy did.

375supermag
08-11-2020, 11:51 AM
Hi...
For home defense, I always have my 1911 in .45ACP close at hand
12ga. Winchester autoloader is my backup and an SKS in .7.62x39 is my last resort.
My son has two loaded semi auto pistols in his bedroom as well as a 12ga. tactical pump shotgun and an AR15 in .223.

Very little will sneak up on our house. The Distant Early Warning system is on full alert 24/7(two noisy Labrador Retrievers).

mickbr
08-12-2020, 06:13 AM
Been a while since we could have auto shotguns here. I used to own a Franchi Spas-12 in the day though with the semi-auto/pump selector. And a USAS-12 semi with the 20 shot drum, like a scaled up AR-15. Was never a fan of shotguns to be honest. Heavy recoil, shot column is a single projectile anyway at close quarters and I found pumping actions to be a lot less intuitive than working a lever.

Bad Ass Wallace
08-12-2020, 08:16 AM
Down Under ?? with so many jerks making stupid rules , no semi-auto's, pumps, tight pistol controls etc. etc. the best defence would be a large zuccini from the freezer to hit the felon over the head!:kidding:

mickbr
08-12-2020, 03:52 PM
Down Under ?? with so many jerks making stupid rules , no semi-auto's, pumps, tight pistol controls etc. etc. the best defence would be a large zuccini from the freezer to hit the felon over the head!:kidding:

It's 'zucchini'.

indian joe
08-19-2020, 11:07 PM
Been a while since we could have auto shotguns here. I used to own a Franchi Spas-12 in the day though with the semi-auto/pump selector. And a USAS-12 semi with the 20 shot drum, like a scaled up AR-15. Was never a fan of shotguns to be honest. Heavy recoil, shot column is a single projectile anyway at close quarters and I found pumping actions to be a lot less intuitive than working a lever.

my brother had a winchester 62 pump 22lr - it took 21 shorts in the magazine and we could empty it into a strainer post at ten yards in seven seconds flat - hold the trigger down and pump - the last little bit of action movement freed the trigger and it fired - I was told remington made a pump 44/40 that worked the same, and was a very popular piece with prison guards - when I was a teen we saw these in the magazines imported to Australia by a feller name of Naughton (I think) sold as the Remy/naughton 14and a half? that would be 1960's ish - something like that would be handy
Alas downunder we are not allowed to defend ourselves - cop told us (at a community watch meeting) that so long as you go at em from the front and use one level of force LESS than the crim you MIGHT survive the court case so Wallace's frozen Zucchini is too close to the truth - that could get interesting to though cuz by time the fuzz arrive the thing will be thawed out. Difficult to do a demo of the crime scene with a floppy fruit.

Bad Ass Wallace
08-19-2020, 11:25 PM
I'd choose my Martini .577 Snider, that way the felan could see the size of the hole in semi-darkness!

W.R.Buchanan
08-20-2020, 06:35 PM
I like the vegetable idea. Can you shoot one out of a shotgun?

Randy

Drm50
08-20-2020, 07:10 PM
I’d go with pump shotgun. For people who have hunted all there life pump shotguns are second nature. Most could use them in the dark. I’m not a believer in lights in a HD situation. Your mission is to protect yourself and family. It’s not to move around looking for the bad actor. Besides moving around house with long gun is taking a chance. To easy for bad gun to grab barrel coming through a door or around corner. No light in any circumstance, it’s your house you should be able to navigate it in the dark, bad guy will be at disadvantage. Squat and wait, let him come to you, just like stump hunting.