PDA

View Full Version : Size of 1000 yard target????

August
12-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Am I correct that a proper 1000 yard target is a 6 foot by 6 foot square with a five foot diameter '7' ring inside it????

If that is correct, any suggestions about a source for steel that size -- in other words, where would a scrounger look for such a thing.

I think I have the manpower part of this figured out.

Thanks for your help.

Kenny Wasserburger
12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
6x6 is correct that aming black is 44 inches (8) ring.

The Lunger

PS a salvage yard or steel dealer. Mine or 1/4 inch T1 with the bull of 36 inches (original Creedmoor bull size) and made of 1/2 AR500

NickSS
12-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I have shot at this target at 1200 yards and it is small at that range. Did it up in Canada at a match in BC and my long range sight was just barley long enough on my Shiloh Sharps 45-70 to get the boolit to the target. The only problem I had was getting my short neck high enough to see through the sight. I ended up digging a hole for the butt in the birm so I could see throug the sight. Oh forget about cheak weld as I was nowhere near the butt with my face.

RMulhern
12-05-2008, 06:17 PM
I have shot at this target at 1200 yards and it is small at that range. Did it up in Canada at a match in BC and my long range sight was just barley long enough on my Shiloh Sharps 45-70 to get the boolit to the target. The only problem I had was getting my short neck high enough to see through the sight. I ended up digging a hole for the butt in the birm so I could see throug the sight. Oh forget about cheak weld as I was nowhere near the butt with my face.

NickSS

Put you a strap on cheek pad available from Creedmoor Sports and rest ya chin atop the comb! Works well!!:drinks::castmine:[smilie=1:

Don McDowell
12-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Not a very good look, but here's a pic of Kenny's range.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/LanceCreek.jpg

montana_charlie
12-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I was nowhere near the butt with my face.I can put my cheek on my butt if I bend over and stick my head between my legs.
But, my knees get in the way of my elbows, and my wallet gouges my ear...so I certainly can't shoot when rolled up like that.

About the only thing I can do is kiss my ass good-bye, just before a fart blows my brains out.
CM

KYCaster
12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I can put my cheek on my butt if I bend over and stick my head between my legs.
But, my knees get in the way of my elbows, and my wallet gouges my ear...so I certainly can't shoot when rolled up like that.

About the only thing I can do is kiss my ass good-bye, just before a fart blows my brains out.
CM

Now there's a mental picture I could do without....thanks Charlie!! :roll:

Jerry

twotrees
12-05-2008, 10:33 PM
I've seen some folks at the range and to me it looks exactly what you described.

Then they drag out the Blow Tubes................ Naw I ain't goin' there.

Thanks for the Laugh

John Boy
12-06-2008, 03:59 PM
August - these are the target dimensions from the NRA Black Powder Target Rifle Rules book:

800-900-1000 Yard Target
NRA No LR

Aiming Black - inches
X Ring - 10
10 ring - 20
9 ring - 30
8 ring - 44

Rings in White
7 ring - 60
6 area - 72" x 72" square