PDA

View Full Version : Price Check S&W Aisle

Rich/WIS
07-31-2020, 08:23 AM
Have an S&W 4" 38 SPCL barrel need to sell but no idea as to asking price. This is a heavy barrel with a matte finish, old style cut for pin. Bore looks good, forcing cone has no cracks/damage, barrel threads clean and finish is maybe 80% or better. Has cylinder rod lock pin and spring in place. Odd size front sight integral with rib, seems too high for a HB M10, almost looks like the height on a M15 but have never heard of a HB M15. Have never figured out posting pics, but can send on my phone, so realize this is a tough question.

Petrol & Powder
07-31-2020, 08:49 AM
That sounds like a K38 Combat Masterpiece barrel. They didn't have a lot of taper to the barrel and had a stepped ramp for the front sight.
However, it should be blued not matte.

Does it have a lug for the ejector rod or a full shroud?

That matte finish is probably going to hurt the price a bit, without knowing exactly what it came off of, I would put a guess around $50.

Rich/WIS
07-31-2020, 12:56 PM
Used to have a M15 but barrel was definitely not this heavy, and front sight height has me confused as to what it might have been for. Only matte finished S&W I know of was the M28 Highway Patrolman and the barrel is marked 38 SPCL and does not have a shroud.

smithnframe
07-31-2020, 01:15 PM
Pot a pic for positive identification!

Buzz Krumhunger
07-31-2020, 02:25 PM
Might be a “Dayton Special” Model 15 barrel. S&W made a couple of limited runs of those for a police dept. in Ohio if memory serves.
An internet search will turn up pics you can use to compare your barrel to.

JimB..
07-31-2020, 02:41 PM
Tagged for interest

reddog81
07-31-2020, 10:08 PM
Fixed sight?
Serial Number?
And just to clarify - There's no model designation under the crane?
Either way the value is probably around $400 to $500 assuming 80% condition is an accurate assessment. Value might be higher under current conditions, but I'm not sure if older revolvers have moved up much in value.

osteodoc08
08-01-2020, 01:02 AM
Fixed sight?
Serial Number?
And just to clarify - There's no model designation under the crane?
Either way the value is probably around $400 to $500 assuming 80% condition is an accurate assessment. Value might be higher under current conditions, but I'm not sure if older revolvers have moved up much in value.

I think he’s talking about a barrel by itself?

reddog81
08-01-2020, 10:01 AM
I think he’s talking about a barrel by itself?

That makes more sense now.

A picture would be a big help.