PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6-cavity Molds

ordway
12-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I would like to hear from others on the list concerning the experience you have had with the Lee 6-cavity Pistol Bullet Molds in regards to bullet quality, casting speed, mold durability, etc.
Thanks for your input, Ralph.
ordway@intergate.com.

Dale53
12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Used with loving care, Lee's six cavity moulds have done very well for me. I have 65-70 moulds of most of the prominent makers. Lee's have the advantage of much lighter weight than iron, and they are quire inexpensive. The only gripe I have is they do not always have the bullet designs I prefer.

I can run close to a 1000 match quality bullets in an hour and a half with a Lee.

My favorite mould is a H&G four cavity #103 - .45 ACP bullet but I use my Lee's regularly.

Proper treatment and lubrication (I use and endorse Bullshop's Sprue Plate lube) are important to the life expectancy of the Lee moulds. You can destroy a mould in ONE session or you can take care and they will last for thousands of bullets and many years of serious use.

Dale53

Catshooter
12-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Dale53 covered it as far as I can tell. I try to get the style/caliber I want in a 6 holer by watching the group buy forum closly, or, running buys of my own that are a boolit I want.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

Cat

mtgrs737
12-02-2008, 12:51 AM
+2 on what Dale said, Lee six cavities are good moulds but you must do your part, by lubing with bullplate and being gentle with them. They will produce a small mountain of boolits in very little time! Lube the alinement pins, top and bottom of the sprue plate including pivot pins, and the top of the mould blocks per the instructions that come with bullplate and you will be rewarded.

mold maker
12-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Ya can't use them for a hammer, but used properly, they sure make a pile of good shooting boolits in a hurry. The light weight doesnt wear you out either.
The savings in mold and handle price adds up to a fat wallet too.

Heavy lead
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I started casting with two Lee two cavities and two RCBS two cavities, after a bit I was conviced I never wanted another aluminum mould. Well I now have several iron moulds of different persuasions and love them, but I have recently stepped into a 6 cavity Lee, and after casting 66 perfect boolits all went wrong, tried to use them like an iron mould and they are NOT. Anyway after I lubed it properly (according to directions) I've casted 1500 hundred of the most beautiful boolits you ever did see. I would not hesitate to buy one, just take care of it and remember it is NOT an iron mould (not that there is anything wrong with that).

runfiverun
12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
i haven't seen a post yet. on the, you gotta run them hot.

Heavy lead
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
i haven't seen a post yet. on the, you gotta run them hot.

Hotter than Haiti's,

Crash_Corrigan
12-02-2008, 04:58 PM
+ 1 on what Dale 53 said. But I usually drill and tap a screw to hold the screw that holds down the sprue plate. Leementing the mold if needed is very important. I had a few 6 bangers which would require smacking with a hickory handle before giving up their boolits. Lee 6 bangers do not hold up under abuse so Leementing was required. It does not take too much work to make an excellent mold from these if you spend the time. I have also beagled a few of these to make fatter boolits for my 303 Brit. It works but the problem is getting a correct sizing mold later on.

Check out the search feature on this site and look up leementing and you will find an excellent article about the procedure which will make a Lee 6 banger one of your favorite molds. I have some for more than 13 years and they still perform very well. Kudos on the lack of diversity but if you need a .45 ACP 200 GR SWC you can make bunch real quick. Ditto on .38 SWC's or full WC's, 9 MM's or 44 Mag's. However on 6.5 x 55 MM, 303 Brits the selection is kinda sparse.

Dan

ordway
12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks to all of you that have replied to my inquiry concerning 6-cavity Lee Molds.
Where can I purchase Bullshop's Sprue Plate Lube??
My local vendors don't carry it.

I have been using Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant, but I am more than willing to try something new if I can find it.

Thanks...

Lloyd Smale
12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
dont like most of what lee makes and wouldnt own another 2 cavity but like most here said the 6 cavity molds are serviceable molds if you take it easy on them and will crank out tons of bullets fast.

timkelley
12-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Ordway, Look at the bottom of this page under "Bullshop", really good stuff!

osage
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Ordway,

I have not had any real problems with the two 6 cav. molds I have, mostly operator error. I've got one in 45acp, one 40 and another GB 45 coming. I sure do like the piles of boolits I can make.
I still have Lee SC BP molds from the late 70' or early 80's that work fine. So think the 6 bangers will be working for a long time if I do my part.

shooting on a shoestring
12-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Lees are cheap. Don't expect too much from them and you won't be disappointed.

The 6 cavity moulds are much better than the 2 cavity Lees.

You'll probably have to "fix" a few issues on the Lees, but then they'll run OK for a long time if you don't abuse them.

Good luck.

miestro_jerry
12-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I use many lead molds, haven't had any problems with them and I cast a lot. For the money they are a good buy. They need to get some more caliber in their line up and maybe some different weights for some of standard calibers in their product line.

I haven't worn any out and some of mine are bordering on 20 years old.

Jerry

Ghugly
12-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I would really like to see them offer 6 cavity molds for a lot more of their 2 cavity offerings. A prime example is their 9MM Makarov mold. It is a dandy design that I've had great luck with. I don't know anyone who uses that mold that wouldn't opt for a 6 cavity if it were available.

As to the original question, I love Lee's 6 cavity molds. My lead pot holds close to 50lbs and when I'm in the zone I will cast a small mountain of great looking boolits before someone rescues me by beating me off the molds (when it's all working right, I just can't quit).

canebreaker
12-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a .357 swc 158 gr. 6 cav Lee mold.
It's well abused, never lubed. Filled a metal
3 lb coffee can on first setting. Made first handles
and placed mold in vise for pouring. Now the
boolits have a flare on the base. It turns down
or breaks off when swaged. Still pouring boolits,
on my 12th can.
A few repairs and lube should bring it back to almost new.

Down South
12-30-2008, 11:35 PM
I have several of the Lee 6-bangers and they do very well. There's not much that I can add from what has already bben said.

Bret4207
12-31-2008, 08:23 AM
The guys pretty well covered it. They cast great boolits fast. Run 'em hot, lube them right and don't abuse them and they'll last longer than you will. My best advice is to take care of any problems NOW! A lead smear can turn into a galled area in a few casting cycles. Fix it NOW, not later.

TAWILDCATT
01-04-2009, 09:51 PM
if you think of them as discounted products to be tweeked you wont be disa pointed.I have them in 45/32/380/30/31/9mm/45/70/8 mm.all 6 caavity I have a few in 2 cavity that I am replacing with 6 cavity.:coffeecom [smilie=1:

Charlie Sometimes
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I've got a LEE six-cavity 45-200 Big Lube- had it a couple of years.
Works great, not too heavy to handle, functions good, makes bullets like they're going out of style (current political environment excluded).
Great VALUE.
I'd like to see them do something in 22 caliber for my Hornet.