PDA

View Full Version : Buying a cat...

bakerjw
07-29-2020, 10:24 AM
My granddaughter, soon to turn 5, loves cats. For her birthday last year, I picked up a little trinket cat at Tractor Supply and gave it to her. It is black with white feet so I told her that it looked like it had mittens on it's feet. She immediately named it Mitten Kitty. On the shelf of honored relics that my granddaughter keeps, Mitten Kitty stands guard over the hockey puck that she got when I took her to her first hockey game. That game was also the first time that she got he face painted. Back story out of the way.

I came home from work for lunch yesterday and my wife asked if I saw a cat out beside the house. I had not, but I found her when I went to the upstairs of the garage shortly thereafter. It was a small cat, almost a kitten still, and was skin and bones with a hurt leg. It was black with white feet so it was a true to life "Mitten Kitty".

It was afraid of me at first but when I put down a towel with food on it, it came right up to me and ate everything. I saw a sore on the injured leg and could tell that there was a break. With a little more food, I was able to wrap her in a towel, put her in a carrier and off to the vet we go. Mind you, this is not my cat and I had no ideas of who might be the owner but there was no way that I could let this little creature suffer this way.

surprisingly, she had been chipped and was registered to a person at the apartment complex half a block away. The person had gotten her from the local shelter, THEN found out she was allergic and put her outside. As the vet found, she'd not seen the cat, who is now 4 months old, for 3 weeks. The original owner is financially unable or unwilling to provide for Mitten Kitty's treatment so they relinquished ownership to yours truly.

Yesterday, some predator almost got one of our chickens that gets out of the run. I am assuming that it got a hold of Mitten Kitty too. So Mitten Kitty has a spiral fracture of the femur which is not an easy thing to fix. The vet said that she was shaken so violently that her leg was pretty much amputated and only held to her body with the muscle and skin. I look at this little creature who was brought into a home, then cast out like she was, only to be attacked in such a violent manner. She then trusted that my wife and I were willing to help and take care of her.

Now, comes the expensive part. The options are to euthanize her which the vet will not do. She told me that they will keep her themselves because she is so gentle and loving. Amputate the leg which, to me, is the last resort. Or have an orthopedic vet put a small plate in to hold the femur together. The vet is sending x-rays to a local vet who does orthopedic surgery as well as to the UT veterinary college. I should have an idea of costs later today but it won't be cheap. It is a lot for a cat but there is an attachment and my wife who has said "No more animals ever" is the one who wants her the most. With everything going on in the world, a bright spot is relished.

TLDR... A hurt cat showed up. I have a soft spot for animals in need. I am paying money...

A couple of years ago a dog got into one of our runs and killed 20 laying hens. Loose dogs are not tolerated on our property. Passing through get shooed away in no uncertain terms. Harassing our livestock??? Well, state law says what it says.

Nelsonholsters
07-29-2020, 10:39 AM
God bless you for taking care of the little fellow.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

mattw
07-29-2020, 10:47 AM
Wow, stepping up in a big way for a stray! We have several that are outside cats, but they are still pets and love the kids to death. Many years ago, we had a in/out cat that would take walks with us, he got spooked once and bounced by a car on a walk. Same kind of injury... the outside part healed, bone really did not heal right. He learned to chase rabbits and win, walk fences with 3 legs and could still jump like a healthy cat. He lived for many more years, very happily.

reddog81
07-29-2020, 10:52 AM
If it's going to be an indoor cat an amputated leg is of little concern. They can still run, jump, and do everything else a normal cat can do. Invasive surgeries are just asking for more problems down the road.

Even as an outdoor cat it'd probably be fine assuming it doesn't have to catch all it's food.

Shawlerbrook
07-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Yes, we had a beagle that got caught in a trap and had one front leg amputated at the shoulder. That dog still ran rabbits and if it ran by you with the leg side you would never know it had three legs. Good on you for taking care of that little critter.

country gent
07-29-2020, 11:09 AM
we had an old Buff farm tomcat that got caught in a leg hold trap one winter and lost its right front let mid ankle knee joint. We brought him in the house and he recovered with little help from us. He ran jumped played same as always. He was a unlucky cat as he later lost part of his tail in a door, then he had crawled up on the back differential of the car and took a ride to town between shock and tail pipe. This really burnt him bad in a couple spots ( it was raining so that probably saved him). But thru it all he always did good a great mouser. ( and when in the house fisher as he caught one of my Siamese fighting fish out of the aquarium). The leg being amputated will only be a hindrance for a very short time. He could still climb up on the old tractor to lay on the seat in the sun even. Ive seen a couple 3 legged deer over the years and they move as fast or faster than the 4 legged it seems. Animals can adapt to a lot of things.

CastingFool
07-29-2020, 02:03 PM
Good for you, for taking care of that hurt kitten. We once took in a cat that someone had just left out to fend on its own. Poor thing had a bad ear infection. Vet said the cat needed an operation, we said yes even though it was $500. 2 weeks later, the cat had not improved. Vet recommended going to the MSU vet dept, but the fee would be around 1k. We simply could not afford that, so euthanasia was the next option. With a very heavy heart, we agreed. The vet did not charge us for that, plus he wrote off the remainder of what we owed

richhodg66
07-29-2020, 02:14 PM
We're cat people. I'd have done the same thing. So sad that someone treated her that way.

Petrol & Powder
07-29-2020, 02:25 PM
Many years ago I spotted a dog hanging around my house. I checked with the neighbors, no luck.
I started feeding it, and we all know what happened next. A week or so later he was on the back deck and I opened the door. He came right in the house like he owned the place and CLEARLY was getting along with my other dogs. (I suspect there was some collusion between my dogs and the new dog long before that event).
He was tame, well behaved, housebroken, about a year old and obviously was a domesticated pet. Someone had dropped him off.
Took him to the vet. No chip, no tattoo, no idea who he had belonged to. He was sick and required some medical care. I paid for it and he recovered completely. After that, he was part of the family until he died many years later.

bakerjw
07-29-2020, 08:15 PM
Well, I brought Mittens home today. The vet bill was almost $600.00 mainly for blood work and x-rays. About what I expected all things considered. She has to be kept quiet because of the break and other injuries, but it is a hard thing to do. She wants nothing more than to be petted and rub on everyone. In the past, my wife has said "No more animals. Period." Well, that went out the door real quick when she saw the kitty and she renamed Mitten Kitty to Mittens after the cat in the movie Bolt.

Friday morning I am taking her to the University of Tennessee School of Veterinary Medicine for a Stackpin fixation of the femur. It is not cheap but will give her more mobility in the long run. I'm going to start a GoFundMe page and see if I can get some help with half of the expenses.

edp2k
07-29-2020, 08:26 PM
And make sure to wack that coyote or whatever that got to her.

farmbif
07-29-2020, 08:27 PM
I had a cat that was attacked by very large feral cat back in the winter. two trips to the vet and more than $600 later and a coyote got him about 5 weeks ago, but he and the momma cat I have had some offspring just after he recovered from being attacked, 4 kittens, 3 are left now and pretty well grown up, a large hawk got one not long after Sylvester was eaten by the coyote. I know how you can get attached.

cp1969
07-29-2020, 08:34 PM
Let us know how to find the GoFundMe page.

Scrounge
07-29-2020, 08:38 PM
Well, I brought Mittens home today. The vet bill was almost $600.00 mainly for blood work and x-rays. About what I expected all things considered. She has to be kept quiet because of the break and other injuries, but it is a hard thing to do. She wants nothing more than to be petted and rub on everyone. In the past, my wife has said "No more animals. Period." Well, that went out the door real quick when she saw the kitty and she renamed Mitten Kitty to Mittens after the cat in the movie Bolt.

Friday morning I am taking her to the University of Tennessee School of Veterinary Medicine for a Stackpin fixation of the femur. It is not cheap but will give her more mobility in the long run. I'm going to start a GoFundMe page and see if I can get some help with half of the expenses.

Post the link when you have it set up, and I'll kick in a fiver, anyway. I've been telling my wife for several years now, no more pets. We have 3 kitties and a doggie. The kitty that was my favorite had to go over the Rainbow Bridge about 8 months ago. Got her for my oldest daughter's 13th birthday, and she was an older feral pure white w/blue eyes. My autistic son was the only one who could pick her up and hold her. Daughters loved her, and socialized her. Flurry was her name. She liked to sit up high, and watch what was going on, or sit next to the water bowl. Leopard waiting for prey, I think. I'd walk by and give her a gentle pet. For a while she'd get up and run away. Then she'd tolerate it if I didn't keep it up. Then one day I noticed she leaned into the pet. Both girls moved out, and she became my kitty. When she couldn't get up to the high places, or back down either, and started losing so much weight, and she wasn't large anyway, I took her to the vet. She got in the carrier herself, and rubbed up against the doc, too. Hadn't ever done that before. And I miss her so much. The other three kitties are my wife's kitties. One of them likes me, one is still terrified of me except when it's treat time. Then he's my best buddy until the treats stop coming. The third one is definitely my wife's kittie. Velcro kittie, she is. Stuck to my wife's chest whenever she can catch her sitting. It was cute when she was about half a cup. She's probably 12 lbs now. And wife is getting wistful for a kitten again.

rking22
07-29-2020, 08:51 PM
We are a cat family too, the ones that adopt us tend to be particularly special. Seems you have been adopted, thanks for taking care of the little one! I hope all goes well and you granddaughter gets to spend lots of time with mittens, and you:)

lightman
07-29-2020, 10:32 PM
Good on you for taking care of the Kitty. Please post a link to the go-fund-me page or PM me with an address and I'll chip in.

edler7
07-29-2020, 10:51 PM
I have to ask...

Did the vet do a cat scan?

abunaitoo
07-29-2020, 11:12 PM
In this state now, if a stray is found, and has a chip, the owner is still responsible for it.
Unless they reported it missing.
That lady would be on the hook for doctor bills, and a big fine
People who treat animals badly, will have no problem treating people the same.

Mk42gunner
07-29-2020, 11:47 PM
I can't stand to see a dog or cat suffer, so good on you for taking care of the kitten.

However, I have never had good luck taking a cat to the vet. It seems like every time I spend money on a feline, it dies within a month or two. Usually the death isn't related to the original problem; there are a heck of a lot of coyotes, coons and possums around here, plus bobcats and foxes. Not to mention idiots that drive 50mph on gravel.

Robert

MaLar
07-30-2020, 12:04 AM
We had a cat long time ago. He was just a kitten when he climbed under the hood of my old car (69 Plymouth Fury).
Well he got caught up in the belts. I had to put on a Levi Jacket and leather gloves to get him out. He fell out when the tension was loosened on the belts and ran off. I was going to put him down when I had him out. The step daughter found him and scooped him up and when mom got home off to the vet he went. Lost his rear right leg at the hip. One would think he would be a handicap but no! He was the meanest little s++t in the neighbourhood. Whip any cat around.

Your cat will be just fine.

sigep1764
07-30-2020, 01:12 AM
Fiance and I's first date was adopting a cat for her. He has since been a wonderful addition to the family. Never been a cat guy, my family animal is an English Bulldog. They don't exactly get along, but they tolerate each other. Love them both. Spent what I had saved for a down payment on a used Corvette to save the fat cat a couple of years ago. Worth it to see the wife happy and to have him snuggle on me. Just love other lives and keep them going if you can. At times, they will keep you going.

osteodoc08
07-30-2020, 03:45 AM
Any pictures of your cat? Love pet pictures.

clum553946
07-30-2020, 04:41 AM
Kudos to you for saving Mittens. My calico, Molly, was found living in the parking lot of a fast food burger joint 8 years ago as a very young cat. She goes everywhere with me now! Post your gfm info & I’ll help out!

ddixie884
07-30-2020, 04:55 AM
She would have been cheap at 1/2 the price...........

bakerjw
07-30-2020, 10:29 AM
I called the vet yesterday and was able to bring her home. We have to keep her as inactive as possible but as soon as she sees people, she is meowing and attacking them with head butts. She adores people. Hope that this picture loads. You can see the outer puncture on her leg.

ETA... She has an appointment at the University of Tennessee Center for Veterinary Medicine at 9:00 AM tentatively for a stackpin fixation.

I greatly appreciate everyone's generous nature.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mitten-kitty-vet-bill-fund

salty dog
07-30-2020, 12:37 PM
Thanks for taking care of one of God's creatures. Has your granddaughter seen the live Mittens?

MaryB
07-30-2020, 01:19 PM
Nice of you to save her! Keep us updated!

mattw
07-30-2020, 01:52 PM
Such a cute kitty. My youngest adopts stray kittens, they end up in the house. I did put my foot down at the last one, made 7 of various ages from about 8 years to 9 months. We have this old stray that lives on our porch and roams with the kids when they walk, hangs out a little bit at every house that will feed him. He was an inside cat, loves to sneak in and cuddle the kids when he can get away with it. He is a huge tom that catsnap fixed for us, I guess he is about 9 years old and starting to look rough, but still a good cat.

gwpercle
07-30-2020, 02:00 PM
ATTABOY !!!

Your story makes me feel better .
The neighbor's son's cat was rarely fed , came over to our house to eat whatever food our two cats left , he had gotten sick and they didn't seem interested in running up a vet bill .... I just couldn't stand there and watch the poor thing die a slow death on my back porch ...
So dumb old me blow's $300.00 on the vet bill to get the cat well ...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does stuff like that !
Gary
The rest of the story ... After recovering the neighbor's cat moved in with us ... the son got a new girlfriend and lost interest in that ...kitty !

richhodg66
07-30-2020, 02:01 PM
I called the vet yesterday and was able to bring her home. We have to keep her as inactive as possible but as soon as she sees people, she is meowing and attacking them with head butts. She adores people. Hope that this picture loads. You can see the outer puncture on her leg.

ETA... She has an appointment at the University of Tennessee Center for Veterinary Medicine at 9:00 AM tentatively for a stackpin fixation.

I greatly appreciate everyone's generous nature.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mitten-kitty-vet-bill-fund

Beatiful little kitten. Always nice when they are real friendly like that too. Looks like you have a friend for life.

bakerjw
07-31-2020, 02:44 PM
Well, we made the 90 mile trek to Knoxville this morning. My son, James, was kind enough to go with me on his day off. Mitten Kitty, AKA Mittens, was hungry and let us know but settled in for the trip and was very well behaved. We got her checked in and waited for the staff to do an assessment before getting back to us.
The break was very bad and an uphill climb but certainly worth trying. When they did the neurological assessment, they found no pain response in the foot or leg and no reflex action. With as severe of a injury as she had sustained, they said that there was a very high likelihood that nerves had been damaged and that there would be no recovery from them. Their advised course of action was to amputate which is what they did in surgery around noon our time.
Although the outcome wasn't what we had hoped to achieve, she did get the best care in the entire region. I spoke with the doctor about half an hour ago and he said that when they went in, they found that the sciatic nerve had been hit by the initial punctures and it reaffirmed their diagnosis.
She is a young cat and really still a kitten. In a few weeks, it will be hard to keep her down and I am sure that she will devil our other cats to no end.
We will go get her tomorrow and she will wear a cone of shame for a week and we have to watch for infections. It will be a good time to let our 1 cats get used to another presence in the house too.

To all that have passed along the GoFundMe link or chipped in some money to help, all I can say is that my wife and I are very grateful. With the world these days, we all need a bright spot here or there.
John and Beth

bakerjw
07-31-2020, 02:47 PM
To add....

A couple of years ago, a dog got into one of our chicken runs and killed 20 laying hens. Loose dogs are not tolerated here. They day that Mitten Kitty was attacked,we also had a hen who likes to get out and follow my wife around also lost feathers.

In the chicken community, there is a thing called the 3 S's
Shoot...
Shovel...
Shut up...

rking22
07-31-2020, 03:31 PM
Sorry to hear she will be a tripod tuxedo but glad she gets the chance to amaze everyone with her adaptability! Please keep us updated, we like upbeat stories.
Our youngest lived at the gun club, until one day when my wife and son found he was too sick to move. A trip to the vet and 600 or so later we were all so attached he came to live with us. Guys at the club always ask about him and I show them pictures of “his fatness” living the hi life! He came away from one fight with a coyote at the club with only some cuts, when first home with us and feeling his oats he was staring down a grown bob cat at our driveway! When I crashed out the door and the bob cat took off, you should have seen him strut back to the house! Knowing he considers himself such a Chuck Norris, we keep him in at night. He is a 20 pound lap cat now! He loves his people, and our other furry kids accept him. Our other Tom is a Tux like mittens, pretty mischievous and very loving. Mittens will be a joy!

farmbif
07-31-2020, 04:06 PM
I'm glad your cat is in best of care, the folks at UTK are super, I know when I had to go to the med center there everything was about the best there is.

sav300
07-31-2020, 08:37 PM
Bakerjw. Sir,do you have a paypal account or any other way safe for me to donate to kitty`s care?

mtnman31
07-31-2020, 10:43 PM
We're a pet family. My wife spent many years as a vet tech. I can say with certainty, cats (and dogs) that have had a leg amputated do very well and are usually pretty much fully-functional, especially if they had the amputation when they were young.

Kudos to you for taking in the cat and best of luck with her.

Springfield
07-31-2020, 11:31 PM
We only have 7 cats, a dog, 3 chickens, a rat, and a goldfish my son won at the fair 7 years ago. I think that goldfish may outlive me. Here is a pic of my own version of your cat. She likes to bug me when I do leatherwork or sit at the computer. Please post your Go Fund Me link.

rking22
08-01-2020, 12:06 AM

Our tuxedo, Murf, he came to us from the Walmart parking lot. The tuxedos are full of personality and seem to love their humans.

osteodoc08
08-01-2020, 12:50 AM
Donation sent. Would love to see Mittens recover fully and live life fully.

Had a neighborhood dog I always called Tripod. Had lost one of its front legs somehow. You’d never known it as he was always running around. I imagine mittens will adapt similarly

samari46
08-01-2020, 01:18 AM
We always had a couple cats here. One went out one night and never came home. The other was a feral cat who stayed inside and occasionally would let me pet her. Well she got a taste of the nightlife and spent two weeks out on her own,then came back with her boyfriend now named Romeo. Then another female showed up and got preganant and had 6 kittens. She lost 3 to critters and they started having their own litters. Last one litter we found home for 4 of the 5 she had. Now another litter mate had two that we know of and one died and the last one may go to a good home. For awhile we were knee deep in cats and was kinda hard to figure out who belonged to who. Feed and water out each day. My pit bull has a buddy and they go nose to nose like they were old buddies. He ignores the rest and they ignore him. Frank

bakerjw
08-01-2020, 07:46 AM
I will PM my PayPal account information to anyone who desires it.

Poygan
08-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Kindly PM the info to me... is this the GoFundMe account?

gwpercle
08-01-2020, 09:09 AM
My Mom would call Mittens a " Mathematical Kitty " ... she puts down three and carries one ..."

Don't worry mathematical kittens adapt and get along just fine ... in a few months neither you nor she will even notice the math .
Gary

bakerjw
08-01-2020, 01:08 PM
Update... Mittens came home from the UTCVM this morning. She looks so frail with an empty hip. But as soon as she got out of the cat carrier, she decided that the pettings must commence and not end... She is weak and sore but has such a bright spirit. Give her a few weeks and she'll be hard to stop.

@Poygan, there is a GoFundMe link on page 2 I believe. I can PM my PayPal address too if needed.

Someone mentioned the longevity of pets. We have 1 pet that will likely outlive both me and my wife. My wife loves turtles so back in 2005, I picker up a yellow belly slider turtle named Terri/Terry. He was about the size of a half dollar back then but is fully grown now. We have a pond built into our atrium for him with a ledge to look out and sun himself. A couple of years ago, there was snow on the ground and we took a picture of him in the window looking out at the snow

edp2k
08-02-2020, 02:29 AM
So the cat had it's leg amputated?
Or did it get a pin/plate put in to reinforce the fractured area?

bakerjw
08-02-2020, 08:39 AM
When they did a neurological assessment, they found nor pain response or other reflexes in her leg so they amputated it. When thy did the surgery, they found that one of bites had tore through the sciatic nerve. There was nothing that could be done. The young veterinarian that brought her out to us yesterday explained that if there had been anything that could have been done, they'd have done it.
As I have said before, we just wanted to get her the best care that money can buy.

We had to put up a 4' barrier in her little alcove as she was scaling anything else in an effort to get out to be with us.

uscra112
08-02-2020, 09:38 AM
Good on you bakerjw. I would do, (and have done) the same. She pays me back by being the best mouser in the family. She's so proud of herself when she gets one that she'll bring it to wherever I am, yowling her triumph for all to hear. Shes been a hard luck kitty. Years before she lost her leg, she lost her tail. No idea what happened in either case, but as long as she's so dedicated to our welfare we'll be dedicated to hers.

A tip from my vet, to reduce chances for infection: Replace the kitty litter with shredded paper until her wound heals. An even better option IMHO is the pine pellets they sell for horse bedding. Tractor Supply is where I get them.

fiberoptik
08-02-2020, 01:55 PM
My 22 year old cat walked under my feet [emoji3097] while carrying in all the bags of groceries and got stepped on. Heard a snap. Off to the vet. Very kind hearted vet said put him down. I offered to put her down instead. She directed me to an orthopedic vet. He asked how old & I told him. Said he was the oldest cat he’d ever seen. Did blood work and said also the healthiest! He pinned his leg. $1,750. Just before the stitches came out Moonie was dragging his back leg again. In we go. The bone fractured just below the knee. Vet said I can’t fix that. Now what?? I said 3/4 of a cat is better than no cat. So.… off with the leg [emoji3091]. Now we’re up to $3,500! Moonie lasted 2 more years. Didn’t sloppy him down much, he just couldn’t jump in my lap anymore. We got 22 years out of that stray we took in. Still paying off the bill, but I would do it again! Loved that cat something fierce. He buried a vet & helped me keep my sanity!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200802/33c4fa0b7d15a652ded18f365faa2ee0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscra112
08-02-2020, 02:15 PM
Cats do quite well on three. Friend out west has a feral cat on the place that has survived an attack by a mountain lion. Right on her porch, no less - she assumed cat was dead, but lo-and-behold a month+ later it's back. One front leg dragging, lot of scar tissue, but moving smartly, able to hunt voles, which are abundant in her enclosed yard. Not a cat person, but she's leaving kibble out for it, and worrying now how it'll manage the winter, since it gets mighty cold in that part of Idaho. We may have a convert! We're both 75, but never too late!

bakerjw
08-02-2020, 05:32 PM
Very heart warming stories.
Thanks to all for sharing.

cp1969
08-02-2020, 07:40 PM
God bless you, bakerjw. Contribution sent via GoFundMe.

bakerjw
08-03-2020, 08:08 AM
I suspect that the original owner was not supposed to have pets in the apartments. My sister in law wants to go beat her half to death. I tell her to let it go.
FWIW, I hate the use of the term owner when referring to our pets. We are responsible for them, but do not own them. They are family members.

Just an uplifting update to start the week.
Mittens is proving very difficult to keep under control. She does not like her kitty prison and wants to see what is going on outside of the walls. I ended up putting a 4'x6' sheet of 1.5" pink Styrofoam board along one side to keep her in a small area with her litter box, water, food, bed and towels.
This morning, she was crying for more food and I went and turned on the dim light in the room. With one leg, that little bugger jumped and got her front legs over the top of the 4' wall and clambered over and onto the floor to come get to us. She now has full run of the room and remains quiet in her bed if left undisturbed.
She is going to be a holy terror once she is turned loose in the house and on our other cats.

richhodg66
08-03-2020, 08:17 AM
"She is going to be a holy terror once she is turned loose in the house and on our other cats."

Sounds like a typical kitten. Glad she is recovering well, seems she is a lucky kitty to have found you.

rockrat
08-03-2020, 11:22 AM
Good for you!!

My Daughter has a "tuxedo" cat also. He also likes to hunt and bring his trophies home and bring them in the house to show everyone. That cat puts up with things from my Granddaughter that I would not have thought a cat would do. They are best buds.

dverna
08-03-2020, 12:03 PM
I went to the GoFundMe page and was shocked. $3000 to save a kitten. WOW.

We were not rich, so cannot fathom spending that to save a kitten. I know people at the other end of the spectrum. One guy killed a litter of kittens to get rid of them...and I could never do that. I have had to put down two old dogs and was lucky I never had to face the decision to spend thousands to save them when they were pups.

That kitty was lucky to find you.

uscra112
08-03-2020, 12:11 PM
DOGS have owners. Cats have STAFF.

Scrounge
08-03-2020, 12:24 PM
You know it's really over when you're allergic to cats and she goes out and gets one.

Buy a bottle of benadryl and carry on, or pack your stuff and git, depending on what you think your chances are. Personally, I won't live in a house without a harmless necessary cat. Or more. My 90lb dog identifies as a cat. I keep telling him he's a dog, that the non-retractile claws are a dead giveaway. He says he's a cheetah.

Scrounge
08-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Good for you!!

My Daughter has a "tuxedo" cat also. He also likes to hunt and bring his trophies home and bring them in the house to show everyone. That cat puts up with things from my Granddaughter that I would not have thought a cat would do. They are best buds.

Two tuxedo cats and a dog, who claims he's a cat, too. And one orange dreamcicle cat. Four guys, three girls, and the guys are outnumbered.

rking22
08-03-2020, 02:19 PM

MaryB
08-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Tuxedo kitties are very loving and outgoing. They need to be with their human(she will pick one of you) and will have to be in whatever room you are. Oreo is that way, my 18 year old Tuxedo Kitty. He hangs out on the chair behind me in the office all day...

https://i.imgur.com/fi88yFb.jpg

bakerjw
08-03-2020, 05:43 PM
I went to the GoFundMe page and was shocked. $3000 to save a kitten. WOW.
We were not rich, so cannot fathom spending that to save a kitten. I know people at the other end of the spectrum. One guy killed a litter of kittens to get rid of them...and I could never do that. I have had to put down two old dogs and was lucky I never had to face the decision to spend thousands to save them when they were pups.
That kitty was lucky to find you.

Somehow in life we've gotten to the point where we are relatively debt free. The fact that I gave my granddaughter a Schleich cat like this.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/schleich-standing-cat-figure
Was a large factor. She calls me "John Dad" and now her John Dad has a mitten kitty just like the one that she has on her shelf. Well, minus one leg.

shooterg
08-03-2020, 07:20 PM
Not a cat person. BUT grandson "tamed" a half feral white cat with one blue eye and one green eye , so I let it hang out . Named it Snowball, then found out it was male, so now he's Snowballs . Picked a fight with a dog, lost . Wife said put him down , I said he'd heal up like all the "barn cats" useta, but she was adamant about "stopping his suffering" (he was still eating fine, if slowly) so off to the vet for $524 because I wasn't gonna shoot my grandboy's cat.
I'll chip in on yours too - can't disappoint the grandkids !

richhodg66
08-03-2020, 08:37 PM
My tuxedo buddy keeping me company when I was sick one weekend and lying around watching a Walk265673ing Dead marathon. I think he's my favorite cat of all the ones I've known in my life, he's 13 now and has the sweetest personality. When my wife worked for the city, one of the grounds keepers found him, he was maybe six weeks old, eye infections, ear mites, flea infested and the guy asked somebody to call the shelter. What he didn't know was we had to put down our tuxedo we picked out about the time we got married the day his eyes opened and had him for 17 years almost to the day one year before this little guy. Needless to say, there was no way my wife was gonna let them take this little guy to the shelter, a few hours later, he was flea free, had eye and ear drops and was getting constant cuddles. I hope he lives to be 24 years old or older.

contender1
08-03-2020, 08:51 PM
I'm usually too busy to visit the "Our Town" section here. Yet,, today,, something made me visit here & I find this thread.

First off,,, I want to say "KUDOS" for being a caring, compassionate animal lover. Especially when it comes to cats. I can echo many of the above comments about the rewards you shall reap from this. Mittens has a good home now,, and it'll be worth it. BTW; You aren't too far from me as I'm over the mountain across Sam's Gap just SE of Trashville,,,, eerr,,, Asheville.

We too are cat people here. We normally adopt strays,, found on my property,, and have had as many as 6,, but currently stand at 4. All are spayed, and live indoors 24/7. We had one live over 17 years that was born in my wife's lap, and died in her arms in bed. He never knew the dangers or trials of living outdoors. I have owned cats all my life. We don't actively seek them out,, but instead,, when God decides there is a cat in need of a good home,, he sends one our way. Over the years,, I've had 2 Tuxedos,, and both were great companions.
Reading the trials of your new companion,, made me cry. I'm not ashamed to say it either. Yet,, I also smiled & even laughed at how loving she appears to be. She KNOWS you are a good person to love & trust. God bless you!

And on a bit of a different note,, I want to say I have truly enjoyed reading all the good posts here,, WITHOUT seeing any of them discussing how "bad" cats are. No bad posts,, no cat bashing,,, and just genuine good comments. SOME people do not care for cats at all,,, which is their right. But seeing the good folks here all support this thread, and your compassion,, makes me PROUD to be a member here.
There isn't anything wrong with dogs,, or other pets,, but usually when a thread about cats appear on other places,, we get some negative posts about cats.

KUDOS to the members here!

EDG
08-03-2020, 11:39 PM
When I lived with my grandparents we had a grey and white cat named Frenchy that followed my grandfather around like a dog. He had a large impact on my attitude towards cats though I am really a dog person.
Because I live in town I choose not to have a dog since he would not be able to run free in the country side like they can on a farm.
I have been owned by cats since 1988. I am on my 4th cat now. Cat number 1 was a tough guy who was partly crippled on 2 legs on the same side of his body. Cat number 2 was given to my daughter and I took him over for 13 years. Cat number 3 died of cancer after I owned him for 8 years. I am on my 3rd gray Russian blue cat now. Considering my age etc it will be a contest to see who out lives the other.

clum553946
08-04-2020, 07:27 PM
How is Mittens doing today?

bakerjw
08-04-2020, 09:49 PM
Thanks for asking. She is doing great. Always hungry. We have a small bed that she loves and we use it to calms her down before returning her to a cage that keeps her a bit more under control. I put it in my lap and she jumps in for the ritualistic "petting of the cat". she is such a sweet little animal.

On other fronts...
I walked into our office after putting Mittens to bed for the evening and out 2 cats, who are sisters, held an intervention.
They said, verbatim... "John, we have to talk..."
They never sit this close to each other without food being involved.

richhodg66
08-05-2020, 07:55 AM
The older ones will come around to the kitten, but it'll take a while.

fiberoptik
08-05-2020, 07:39 PM
I took in an all black female stray and named her Baby. She regularly caught mice. When I would wake up and roll over, there would be Baby sitting next to my bed at attention, staring intently at me. Between her paws would be a dead mouse. I would scratch her ears and say good Baby! Then she would carry off breakfast. She made sure I knew she earned her keep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

contender1
08-05-2020, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the update on Mittens! Makes me smile!

2A-Jay
08-06-2020, 12:10 AM
Tuxedo kitties are very loving and outgoing. They need to be with their human(she will pick one of you) and will have to be in whatever room you are. Oreo is that way, my 18 year old Tuxedo Kitty. He hangs out on the chair behind me in the office all day...

https://i.imgur.com/fi88yFb.jpg

I had a TuxedoCat that adopted me His name was Oreo, he suffered a Spinal Stroke and it broke my heart when I had to have him put down.

cat-mechanic
08-06-2020, 01:55 AM
They never sit this close to each other without food being involved.

Sounds like a lot of family members of mine. The further they are from me, the better we get along.

MaryB
08-06-2020, 02:06 PM
I had a TuxedoCat that adopted me His name was Oreo, he suffered a Spinal Stroke and it broke my heart when I had to have him put down.

Oreo is having issues, fat tumors all over his body... He has no pain form it but it is a matter of time before it kills him. He has had a couple seizures from it. So I spoil him!

bakerjw
08-06-2020, 10:11 PM
Well... I introduced the girls, Libby and Lilly Bug, to Mittens this evening.Mittens has been given the run of our exercise room in the afternoons. she stays in the cage all morning but after the lunch time lovin we let her stretch her legs.
so, this evening after her night feeding, I picked up Lilly Big and took her back to see Mittens in the room.
OMFG... Massive hissing fit... Growling... Feline Drama...
I then took Libby back to show her the room. Hissing. Gnashing of teeth. Wailing... Etc... Fat cat drama. Libby is a tubby tabby.

sow, my wife and I got Mittens to sit on her bed and took her to the living room where she sat nicely and we watched an episode of Farscape. Mittens seemed to be watching too. It was all peaceful and calm with the kitty getting rubbing until Lilly Bug showed up... More hissing and cat drama....

Why can't animals use logic... SMH....

richhodg66
08-07-2020, 08:12 AM
When my wife and I were young, we had three cats. Brought a new baby into the family, cats were moderately curious about him, but quickly became indifferent. Got an old Bassett hound, cats went into the arched back hissing mode, dog looked and said "whatever", cats realized he was low threat and went back to normal.

Found a kitten outside in the snow and had to keep it for the weekend until the vet shelter opened back up. You'd have thought the world ended for thos cats, they NEVER calmed down about it for those three days or so. Seems to be harder for them to accept a new cat than just about anything else, but they will eventually come around. Some cats like each other better than others do, but I think they will at least tolerate her soon enough.

contender1
08-07-2020, 08:42 AM
Every time we have gotten a new cat,, we use a large cage to acclimate it to the house, AND to the other occupants. It's one of those large dog cages. I have a place for a litter box, food, water & a ledge I built for them to get up on. Some cats adapt quicker & easier,, others take a few more days. But,, once they get the idea there is a new occupant,, and the "pecking order" is figured out,,, things settle down. BUT,, occasionally, we have had a few that "tolerate" each other, as long as each one has plenty of space, and love is given to all. Currently,, we have 2 that do fine if not too close together. If both get crowded into a small space,, (other than feeding times,) or try to occupy the same spot,, there is a little tift.
Use patience, love & lots of petting all around.

bakerjw
08-07-2020, 11:11 AM
They'll all get loving. What will break the impasse is when we watch TV as the girls are always up there with us. They'll have to decide tolerate or go without.

Mr_Sheesh
08-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Site swapping (have new kitty in bedroom for a few hours then put her back in her area and let the other cats in the bedroom, etc.) will help as cats will become more accustomed to each others' scent, if you can feed them on opposite sides of a child gate that helps too (start them getting used to sight of new kitty without them being too close) and there usually will be hisspits etc. as kitten is rambunctious and pesters the older cats, just let them work it out once they get somewhat used to each other.

Very glad you're taking good care of your new owner :)

Rescue cats are often "the best" cats, because they know you saved their bacon; I just wish they didn't have to go through such trauma!

Francine approves:

As does Linda:

bakerjw
08-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Great cat pictures and stories.

Some friends came over last night and brought their little dog, Miso. Miso is content to sit, let the world pass by and take little notice. He is very much like a stuffed animal. Libby, our big tabby, came right up to him and sniffed him. It was like WTH??? It's a dog. You should be throwing a hissing fit. Nope. She was fine with him.

richhodg66
08-08-2020, 09:10 AM
It's been my experience that most cats and dogs do Ok with each other. The cats become pretty indifferent to the dog, especially if it's not an active dog.

Our Shih Tzu we had for years was middle aged when we got a kitten that grew to be a big cat and when he was about half grown, he was close in size to the dog and would lie in wait and pounce on him. The dog never initiated it, but it was game on when the cat did and I think they both enjoyed the little wrestling matches. Neither ever bit the other or really tried to hurt as near as I could tell.

Other than one sweet female cat who used to face nuzzle a sweet old basset hound we had, I have never had cats and dogs that really liked each other and sought one another's company.

Scrounge
08-08-2020, 11:28 AM
It's been my experience that most cats and dogs do Ok with each other. The cats become pretty indifferent to the dog, especially if it's not an active dog.

Our Shih Tzu we had for years was middle aged when we got a kitten that grew to be a big cat and when he was about half grown, he was close in size to the dog and would lie in wait and pounce on him. The dog never initiated it, but it was game on when the cat did and I think they both enjoyed the little wrestling matches. Neither ever bit the other or really tried to hurt as near as I could tell.

Other than one sweet female cat who used to face nuzzle a sweet old basset hound we had, I have never had cats and dogs that really liked each other and sought one another's company.

My big oaf of a dog, Orca, wants to play with the cats, but they don't want to play with him. Only game he knows is tug-o-war. He's about 90 lbs. The biggest cat is about 12 lbs. OTH, when he's laying down, there's often a cat snuggled up to him. He was raised by cats, and taught that cats rule, and dogs drool. We also use the phrase "Women and Cats." Translated for the slow, that is "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs might as well relax and live with it."

uscra112
08-08-2020, 12:33 PM
The hissing and spitting is just them establishing pecking order. I have four girls (including poor hapless tripod Smudge). Mother cat and three from her first (and only) litter. Five years or so on they still do it to each other. (Mom is still the top boss!) What's interesting is that the sole remaining male (neutered) in the family gets a free pass. It's only the females that snipe at each other. I've been extra kind to Cozy, who is the runt, because of all the bullying she gets.

rking22
08-08-2020, 12:53 PM
3 girls and 2 guys here and all fixed. All different ages and joined the family at different times. Funny how the girls do the hissin and growling while the guys just go about their important cat business without fuss. Has been that way as long as I remember with all our cats over the years. They are just furry little humans, ore maybe we are just bald cats????

richhodg66
08-09-2020, 12:00 AM
3 girls and 2 guys here and all fixed. All different ages and joined the family at different times. Funny how the girls do the hissin and growling while the guys just go about their important cat business without fuss. Has been that way as long as I remember with all our cats over the years. They are just furry little humans, ore maybe we are just bald cats????

It's been my experience on average that male cats make better pets than female cats and the exact opposite is true with dogs.

uscra112
08-09-2020, 12:22 AM
As long as they're neutered.

Mr_Sheesh
08-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Years ago a girlfriend didn't tell me she was bringing her favorite dog over;'Stray' (a rescue) was on the kitchen table, as allowed, when her Irish Setter came in. Stray alerted and sat up ready to respond; Her dog looked at him, looked like she said "Ah, a cat" and went on to explore the rest of the place. Stray settled right back down into his usual position, curled up comfy on his side.

Dog and cat I used to know would play "Chase me, chase you!" and had great fun doing it - 6-7 pound cat and 130 pound dog, they'd alternate chasing, dog chases cat from bedroom to living room and cat chases dog back. I found it hilarious, especially as the dog was clowning around with a facial expression of "Oh noooo if that cat catches me she'll eat me!" Best buds :)

And a neighbor's little dog got loose and made a beeline to me (My front door was open) for pets, I collected her dog and waited for her to collect him. Francine's only response was to give me a dirty look, something like "Oh, GREAT, now we have a Dog here, too? Meh."

Dogs and cats can get along very well, definitely. It just depends on their temperaments.

blackthorn
08-09-2020, 12:05 PM
Years ago I was on watchman duty at the mill where I worked. I found a kitten that was just old enough to eat solid food, crying in obvious distress, with a hard, distended belly from being constipated. At the end of my shift I took the kitten home, squirted some mineral oil down its throat and stuck it in a box till the problem solved itself. I then let the kitten out on the floor and he promptly sort of waddled his way into the front room where my German short-hair was sleeping on the floor. Dog spots cat---cat spots dog (never saw one of those before)---dog growls, cat hisses. Kitten walks up to dog and whacks him across the muzzle and then curls up between the dogs front paws and promptly goes to sleep. Dog sort of looks puzzled, holds that position for a couple of seconds an then goes back to sleep with his head along side the kitten. hey were great friends for the next ten years the cat lived.

rockrat
08-09-2020, 12:20 PM
I had a female cat and wife had an Akita/shar-pei mix. They kind of ignored each other till one day the dog got in trouble and wife and I both yelled at him. He sat in the yard looking mistreated till the cat went over and growled/hissed at him, then swatted him on the nose. Cat turned around and with tail in the air, walked away. Poor dog just looked at us really feeling sorry for himself. We just laughed, which made it worse. Dog got up and went somewhere in the yard/down by the sheds and didn't show up till dark. Off sulking I guess

blackthorn
08-09-2020, 05:50 PM
In the late 1990’s we had a big tom cat show up at our house. He had been in some sort of altercation and had about two inches of raw bone sticking out of a much-shortened tail. He carried his head at an odd angle and had one claw that would not retract. He was sort of uncoordinated in some of his movements. He was living on dog food he stole out of my dog’s dish by reaching through the wire of our chain link fence. We started feeding him cat food but it took me quite awhile to coax him close enough to get a hold of him, but when I did, we took him to the vet who checked for a chip. No chip so the vet said if we wanted to give that cat a home, he would give me a good deal on fixing him up. So, for $200 the vet shortened his tail, neutered him, gave him his shots and we named him Bubba and took him home. He could not live inside as he had a problem of throwing up a lot of what he ate so he lived outside with the dog. When we moved to Kamloops in 2004, we brought him and another outside cat (also a stray) along and they lived outside in summer and in the shop during the winter. We had him here for another five or six years until a Coyote (or something) got him. After that we moved the other cat indoors where she lived happily until she had to be put down.

mickbr
08-10-2020, 04:50 AM
I like animals but put a limit on care. They are not kids. With the world the way it is I think we will be back at the 1980's level care for pets which is "poor puss in boots is just too sick to live kids and mom and dad cant afford two weeks salary to fix a cat like we used to, so its goodbye to puss" Add a reminder about mother nature, the cycle of life, the law of the jungle, and get a new cat to love.

Butzbach
08-10-2020, 08:05 AM
I like animals but put a limit on care. They are not kids. With the world the way it is I think we will be back at the 1980's level care for pets which is "poor puss in boots is just too sick to live kids and mom and dad cant afford two weeks salary to fix a cat like we used to, so its goodbye to puss" Add a reminder about mother nature, the cycle of life, the law of the jungle, and get a new cat to love.

Sometimes it’s hard but you make a great point. For an $800 vet bill you could probably pull 10 spayed / neutered / vaccinated cats out of a kill shelter.

clum553946
08-10-2020, 02:55 PM
How’s Mittens doing, still well?

richhodg66
08-10-2020, 05:01 PM
We kenneled my son's dog at our vet this weekend. That office is a happy place and they usually have a couple of adult cats that are very friendly and have run of the place, this morning, a big siamese I hadn't met before jumped up on the corner before I even got up to it to purr and get petted. There were two others I had met before, seems they live out their lives in that situation.

What I did notice (missed) was a little female boxer they used to have. When we first saw her, she was a puppy and her hind legs were so twisted, it was amazing she could get around at all, most people would have put her down, and it was apparently not correctable. Anyway, she was sweet, got along with the cats and they had a bed for her there in the office, she didn't move around much, but we watched her grow up and always saw her when we went to the vet. When I asked one of the girls, she told me the little boxer had passed. I hadn't realized it, but we'd seen her for what is pretty much the life expectancy of a boxer. It made me sad, but those folks are truly special to have given that dog as good a quality of life as she ever could have had with the disability she had.

bakerjw
08-10-2020, 08:09 PM
How’s Mittens doing, still well?

She's doing very well. I am amazed how she can run and jump with only one back leg.
She now gets the run of the living room during the day. The other cats really have no interest on what goes on in there.

She is certainly taken up with us. I get a little more attention but I was the one who held her the most for the first few rough days.

I'll post some pics here soon. my bakerjw.org website has a gallery with all kinds of our activities, vacations, kids and animals. She'll get her own sub folder there.

rking22
08-10-2020, 09:49 PM
So glad to hear she’s doing well! Can’t wait for pictures, since our 2 legged kids left home, we take lots of cat pictures.

contender1
08-11-2020, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the update on Mittens.

I rarely visited the "Our Town" section,, but when I found this thread,, I have been following it. It's making me smile when I see the positive posts about her.
She has found a home that God chose for her. She will reward you 10 fold.

bakerjw
08-11-2020, 10:37 AM
This morning, she came galloping into the side room when I put out some dried food. She had already eaten all of the wet food that we put down. She slid and bumped something that hurt and started crying and hissing. We try to keep her calm and subdued, but she embraces her "Inner Kitten" quite vociferously.

richhodg66
08-11-2020, 03:29 PM
I don't think there's anything in the world with a stronger life force than a puppy or kitten. They just live to live. We could all take a lesson.

oldred
08-11-2020, 03:56 PM
Like everyone else I was very touched by what I read here, the OP's story is heartwarming to say the least and I also want to say kudos to all the others here who have so unselfishly opened their hearts and their pocket books to help the little critters. I know how you all feel and I have been there myself, those here that know me know I have many cats here on the farm, 15, at the moment and almost all of them were abandoned at a popular "dumping off" spot on a secluded section of road near our farm, we too are not strangers at the local Vet's office. Those of you who have spent big bucks on their little friends deserve a special reward and I know there are others here who would also if the need should arise, this is money well spent and not at all wasted.

Some folks think of cats as being aloof and selfish but they just don't understand the little critters, cats can be very loving but they tend to be independent at the same time. They DO care about their owners (or rather their subjects since they think THEY are the owners!) and often look to us for help when the need arises, this can all too often go unnoticed since they are usually quite subtle about it. A case in point is our little cross-eyed Siamese, Cocoa, who managed to fall into a bucket of motor oil I had drained from my dozer. I normally am a real stickler about not leaving such things around for the nosy little buggers to get into but I had taken a lunch break and had not finished the job I was doing, however a couple of minutes of neglect is all it takes! I was eating lunch when he came to the door and started meowing which was a very strange thing for him to do, sensing something was wrong I opened the door to see him standing there with a hopeless look on his face and completely dripping in old dirty black diesel engine oil! Normally he would not let anyone even pick him up but this time he was just limp and not complain at all. It took three tries of soaping and rinsing in the bath tub after first rubbing him down with Go-Jo hand cleaner and all the while there was not a whimper out of him, he just stood there and let me do anything I wanted to do to him. Any other time trying to put him in a tub of water would have been a huge mistake likely resulting in fatal lacerations, after all this is a Siamese I am taking about! The little fella realized he had made a big mistake and instinct told him he was in serious trouble and needed help so he came straight to me and let me do what was needed, no one is going to convince me that cats are not close to their owners (or rather their subjects as the case may be).

richhodg66
08-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Like everyone else I was very touched by what I read here, the OP's story is heartwarming to say the least and I also want to say kudos to all the others here who have so unselfishly opened their hearts and their pocket books to help the little critters. I know how you all feel and I have been there myself, those here that know me know I have many cats here on the farm, 15, at the moment and almost all of them were abandoned at a popular "dumping off" spot on a secluded section of road near our farm, we too are not strangers at the local Vet's office. Those of you who have spent big bucks on their little friends deserve a special reward and I know there are others here who would also if the need should arise, this is money well spent and not at all wasted.

Some folks think of cats as being aloof and selfish but they just don't understand the little critters, cats can be very loving but they tend to be independent at the same time. They DO care about their owners (or rather their subjects since they think THEY are the owners!) and often look to us for help when the need arises, this can all too often go unnoticed since they are usually quite subtle about it. A case in point is our little cross-eyed Siamese, Cocoa, who managed to fall into a bucket of motor oil I had drained from my dozer. I normally am a real stickler about not leaving such things around for the nosy little buggers to get into but I had taken a lunch break and had not finished the job I was doing, however a couple of minutes of neglect is all it takes! I was eating lunch when he came to the door and started meowing which was a very strange thing for him to do, sensing something was wrong I opened the door to see him standing there with a hopeless look on his face and completely dripping in old dirty black diesel engine oil! Normally he would not let anyone even pick him up but this time he was just limp and not complain at all. It took three tries of soaping and rinsing in the bath tub after first rubbing him down with Go-Jo hand cleaner and all the while there was not a whimper out of him, he just stood there and let me do anything I wanted to do to him. Any other time trying to put him in a tub of water would have been a huge mistake likely resulting in fatal lacerations, after all this is a Siamese I am taking about! The little fella realized he had made a big mistake and instinct told him he was in serious trouble and needed help so he came straight to me and let me do what was needed, no one is going to convince me that cats are not close to their owners (or rather their subjects as the case may be).

People who don't like cats tend to be very insecure in my experience. They need something that is extremely needy and subservient like a dog. Most all of the cats I've had in my life are affectionate and enjoy human attention, but they're not as demanding of it as dogs are. I like both but doubt I'll get another dog until I'm full time retired and am around all the time.

contender1
08-12-2020, 09:15 AM
The motor oil story made me chuckle a bit. But I can also relate a bit.
Long ago, my wife wanted a cat of her own. She found a Himalayan for free,, that the young girl who owned it couldn't keep it. (Long story there.) It was love at first sight, and that cat was my wife's cat. Sadly, when we got him, he was infested with fleas, and we didn't know right away. Well, all our cats are indoors & such,, so it affected all the others. He was miserable due to the fleas,, and my wife (who had limited experience with cats at the time,) decided to give him a bath. My comment was; "You'll regret it!" Well, when I came home, she was sitting in the floor with him, he was on a damp towel. She had politely drew some warm water in pitchers, set him in a sink, and gently poured the water on him a little at a time,, all while scrubbing his fur & skin with flea soap. She said it was so bad,, the water turned red with blood. He never fought her,, and she gave him his bath, and THEN,, used a hair dryer to dry him. When I came in, he was sitting there,, allowing her to gently blow dry him. She had to give him a few baths,, but he was always great about it. We figured he was just grateful as it likely felt very good to him.

As mentioned by many above,, folks usually feel like a cat is aloof, or doesn't seek human companionship, easily or maybe in a needy way like dogs.
Well, I will say that we have 4 of them, as well as having owned several over the years. Many of them DO seek our attention & will want to be petted & lay in our laps. We can be in the living room, and all 4 will be around us or in our laps. If we move to the "happy room" all will move out there as well. And they also know who is the Alpha, and will obey me over my wife. I can speak, and they will pay attention. And they also know which one is "in trouble" if I speak a certain way. They are also jealous of attention by the Alpha,, (me) in general.
I could spin stories all day about such stuff.
Basically, you give love & will receive it back 10 fold.

uscra112
08-12-2020, 10:04 AM
It's a known fact that cats can understand several hundred English words. They just don't want to admit it.

From early in her life my Smudge (now the tripod) has always come running whenever I get out of bed, or get up from a chair, or go out to the porch, just to see what I am going to do. Hopefully something interesting. Still does it. Blocks the hallway to the kitchen to collect a toll in pats.

Little Cozy, the rabbit-catching runt, is even worse about that. I can't go up a flight of stairs without giving her at least 30 seconds of my undivided attention. Which I do so the others will know that I don't play favorites. (Much)

MaryB
08-12-2020, 03:44 PM
I try to divide petting and attention time or one or the other gets jealous. Oliver gets fur mats despite daily brushing(his under fur is so dense and fine it tangles easy) and he will lay and let me cut them out because they hurt after awhile and irritate the skin.

Mr_Sheesh
08-12-2020, 11:31 PM
Years ago on a trip to Alaska the other person I was with wanted to stop at a bar in a reservation, I didn't feel like going in so I stayed in the truck. Dog chained with a choke collar in the back of someone else's pickup barked at me if I got near, guarding his master's tools etc., which is fine with me. (Not so much the choke collar part.)

Sat a while and a goose came out and was intentionally trolling the dog, "Oh I don't see that dog, it'd be terrible if a dog jumped down and ate me!" and eventually convinced the dog to try for it. Dog jumped out, came to the end of its' chain, flipped and was hanging on the choke chain with 6" at least of air under its' rear paws.

I jumped out, ran over and picked the dog up enough to relieve the pressure on its' neck, said "OK, I am going to put you up in the pickup bed, I'd prefer that you not bite me for saving your life, OK?" and put him up into safety.

Rest of the time I was there that dog wagged his tail every time he looked at me, had I been larcenous I could have hauled tools & dog off & that dog would have been OK with it...

Dogs and cats who've been saved REMEMBER, they know what you did just because you're a good person :)

bakerjw
08-13-2020, 09:26 AM
Mittens as we call her is slowly acclimating to the house. We had kept her in our exercise room but have since opened the living room to her and keep it blocked off from the rest of the house. She has slipped a bit back to feral ways. i.e. hiding behind and under furniture and being reluctant to come out to anyone other than me. I can coax her out and she is fine but she still doesn't want to come out for my wife which makes her feel left out and disheartened. From now on, my wife will be the one to feed her.

Last night I coaxed her out and she laid across my arms as we watched TV and fell asleep with my wife petting her. She is sweet and is overcoming the fear of the last month or so but it will be an uphill battle.

Our 2 other cats have taken over the office and established it as their base of resistance. With mittens in the back room, I got "Lilly Bug" to chase the laser dot which she loves doing. She will chase it up the stairs and wall, back and forth across the kitchen and into the living room.... Typically... She ran after it into the living room, got half way across the large rug in the center and stopped. After sniffing around for a bit, she wouldn't have anything to do with the living room. "Libby" won't even go to that end of the dining room now.

We're taking it slowly. The next step in the next week or so is to block the girls in the office and let Mittens have free run of the kitchen for a while. The girls will eventually get used to it. We hope...

LOL... Cat Drama....

contender1
08-13-2020, 10:07 AM
You are doing fine. When you consider how short a time it has been for Mittens from lost, to injury, to surgery, to a loving home,, things are doing quite well. In 6 months, a year or so,, you'll be able to look back & see the changes quite easily. The other girls will get used to things,, and a set of boundaries & such will be established, and acceptance will be comfortable or at least tolerated by all.

Yesterday,, I went to work at a house,, (bats) and the older gentleman that lives there has 4 dogs & one cat. When I did my inspection about a month ago,,, I saw the cat through a window. Very small,, about the size of a normal 2 month old kitten. Well, yesterday,, the daughter of the gentleman was there,, to feed & visit the dogs & cat. Apparently, the gentleman is in the hospital. The "kitten" I found out was actually about a year old. Just a VERY small cat. All of the dogs are 20-40 lb critters. Guess who's the boss? Yep,, that "kitten!" I saw her whack one dog right across the face,, grab another ones wagging tail, and none of the dogs even growled. That little girl made me just laugh. She was bold, and friendly. I was petting her & she just loved the attention. Then a dog came over,, & that was when the face whack happened.
But even the cat didn't like the coon I had in a cage sitting about 20 ft away. (I had to pick up a coon before I did my bat work.) She heard it,, went to investigate,, saw it, Arched & hissed,, and backed away until she felt safe in turning back to the house.

Mr_Sheesh
08-13-2020, 11:03 AM
bakerjw - You could try having SWMBO (the wife IOW) feed kitty cat treats, or even a teaspoon of tuna or the like. Kitties remember who treated them, and "stay bought" LOL

I used that with Linda, when I first got her she was scared of everyone but me, I had my mom and friends who visited feed her treats and she went from running and hiding when others came over, to padding over to see if they had treats. (I put a treats bottle by the front door, to help.)

bakerjw
08-13-2020, 12:03 PM
I told my wife this morning, that we need to start eating tuna on crackers for snacks. There is no way that Mittens will stay away when she smells the tuna. We're going to cut back on food for a bit and my wife, Beth, will be doing the feedings. Mittens will come around for sure.

We have a thing in our house. Whenever we open a can of anything, Lilly Bug is at our feet meowing like crazy. So in our best Arnold Schwarznegger voice, we say "It's not tuna." ala Kindergarten Cop... "It's not a tumor."

Mr_Sheesh
08-14-2020, 05:34 AM
Humor helps LOL :)

contender1
08-16-2020, 08:51 AM
So,, how is Mittens & the girls?

oldred
08-16-2020, 09:23 AM
I have really enjoyed reading this thread, it's nice to know there are a lot more "cat people" around and I am not alone!

Another funny one happened again yesterday, we have four (yep FOUR!) indoor cats with two that always stay inside and never go out and two that go out every morning into our fenced yard. Well yesterday it was raining quite hard and when I opened the door for Doc and Sterling who were both begging to go out they both started lunging for the door as always but abruptly stopped in their tracks! Both of them were walking around me, meowing and pawing at my legs obviously asking me to stop that rain! I laughed at them because I have seen this so many times before when it was wet outside and since we do about everything else for them I suppose the little critters look up to us and think we can do anything, even stop the rain!

Ya just got to love the little buggers and I would be just lost without mine!

bakerjw
08-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Things are progressing well with some rough spots along the way for Mittens. She is still relegated to the living room for now and is settling in to day to day activity. She hides and runs back and forth along an area behind the loveseats. They are recliners so we have to keep them a foot or so away from the wall and that has become her back alley. She is also still overcoming her fears of people and the new surroundings and is starting to chase balls and little fuzzy mice toys. There is little doubt that I am her preferred person as she will be on my lap or next to me constantly when we watch TV. She has been putting on a little weight, is no longer skin and bones and her coat looks very good now.

Before

Now

Today, she is being introduced to the vacuum cleaner. Upholstery cleaner to be exact. When she first arrived, we kept her in our exercise room. She avoids that room completely as that was where she was confined as she healed. Her litter box is in there and we used some of the recycled paper litter as it is a bit more sanitary. Well, she doesn't like the room or the litter and opted to use one of our loveseats instead. We had changed the litter and even though it was for her own good, we had not thought of everything. So, the litter was replaced with the normal clay kind and we moved it out of the exercise room to the living room. I showed it to her and she has been using it ever since. Any cat owner can attest to how fickle these little creatures can be. For now, whenever we are not in the living room, we have sheets of plastic on all furniture.

The girls, Libby and LillyBug had been acting really strangely as would be expected. The new scent in the house kept them on guard for several days but things are going back to normal. i.e. they have mostly abandoned their fire base in our office. They're sleeping upstairs with us again. For a while they were content to stay in the office or escape to the basement.
The other night, we left the foam barrier open a bit and were petting Mittens and Lillybug walked into the room. She took one look, hissed and trotted back out before looking back to see what was in there.
We're going to replace the foam board that we use as a barrier with a chicken wire gate so that both sides can see through and we will take it from there. We will also likely banish the girls from the kitchen today and let Mittens have free reign of the room to get her scent out there and get her used to the girls too.

Photo gallery link
http://www.bakerjw.org/PhotoGallery/index.php?/category/877

contender1
08-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the update. As I type this,, one of my 4 is being nosy around my desk stuff,, trying to get my attention.

It sounds as if things are progressing quite well for the time being. I like the pics too.

oldred
08-16-2020, 03:32 PM
Photo gallery link
http://www.bakerjw.org/PhotoGallery/index.php?/category/877

I see a very lucky and special cat with a very kind and special owner (or actually the other way around for who owns who?)!

My wife and I really enjoyed those pics and the story behind them.

clum553946
08-21-2020, 05:55 AM
How’s our cat Mittens doing these days?