PDA

View Full Version : G'day

Bushfire
07-27-2020, 07:30 PM
G'day all,

Wasn't sure where to post this but just wanted to introduce myself.

I live in Australia and been a hunter all my life. Hunt with bows a bit but open sight rifle and muzzleloader is my passion, enjoy the challenge after spending too much time shooting animals from ranges they could do nothing about.

Hunt a bit of everything but mainly deer, building points to hunt the states someday.

Interested to read what you folks get up to in this part of the world and hopefully contribute a little too.

Currently looking to get a new sidelock muzzleloader.

Cheers

Neverhome
07-27-2020, 07:42 PM
Welcome aboard!

Der Gebirgsjager
07-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the forum, Bushfire. :D There are several other Aussies that post here, perhaps one or two that live near you. I'm sure you'll meet them on the forum sooner or later.

GhostHawk
07-27-2020, 09:12 PM
Greetings Mate!

Lots of big deer up north. Minnesota, North Dakota.

Most tend to be close to farm lands that has some cover, water. Especially come fall, lots more to eat in a corn field that has not yet been picked than in a wheat or barley field that is plowed or worked.

Just as an FYI I harvested all my deer with 20 ga shotgun and slugs, max range I would shoot at was about 30 yards. So getting close helps. If they are coming at you, let them come. Learning to become one with the terrain helps a lot.

45workhorse
07-27-2020, 09:48 PM
Glad to have another smokepole shooter in the ranks.
Got to spend about three days in Townsville, looooong time ago, my uncle sent me down there. Wanted to get inland more just not enough time.
Fire up the coffee pot and enjoy the folks here, a wealth of knowledge, on just about anything!

pworley1
07-27-2020, 11:05 PM
Welcome, We look forward to hearing more from you.

Winger Ed.
07-27-2020, 11:57 PM
Welcome aboard.

Something I been meaning to ask-
Does the water really swirl in the other direction going down the drain over there?:bigsmyl2:

Bad Ass Wallace
07-28-2020, 12:41 AM
BA country up in Queensland near Kingaroy.

Bushfire
07-28-2020, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome gentlemen.

I'm currently building points to hunt WY, hoping to do it in 5 years or so when I can draw some good units. Keen on a decent elk but there is something about mule deer that gets me going!

I tried adding some pics but it kept failing, I mostly hunt red deer here, spend time hunting hog deer every year and the occasional fallow.

@Bad *** Wallace, that'd be red and rusa country up there wouldn't it?

smithnframe
07-28-2020, 05:50 AM
Welcome from Texas!

sav300
07-28-2020, 06:45 AM
Welcome Bushfire.

bedbugbilly
07-28-2020, 11:26 AM
Welcome!

Another one who has "smelled the black" is nice to have on board!

gwpercle
07-28-2020, 12:17 PM
Welcome from Baton Rouge , Louisiana !
Nice to have you on board . My very first firearm was a black powder rifle ... cap and ball and that wonderful cloud of real black powder smoke ! It's calling me again ....
Gary

brass410
07-28-2020, 12:35 PM
welcome aboard from ontario north

Geezer in NH
07-28-2020, 06:44 PM
Welcome why are you ashamed to put you location on your profile?

tankgunner59
07-28-2020, 11:10 PM
Welcome from Illinois, I too would love to get a chance to hunt in Wyoming or Montana. I would take Elk or Muleys. You will find folks with knowledge about just about every type of firearm here. And we always want folks who have info to share.