PDA

View Full Version : Axis action /barrel question

wonderwolf
07-27-2020, 09:12 AM
I have a savage long action and a 6.5 cm barrel someone gave me I'm wanting to try. Any reason the 6.5cm shouldnt go on the long action? Nose diving rounds or?

I'm thinking nothing weird will happen but I wanted to ask here before I tried it. As always thanks for the help!

Willbird
07-27-2020, 11:47 AM
I have a savage long action and a 6.5 cm barrel someone gave me I'm wanting to try. Any reason the 6.5cm shouldnt go on the long action? Nose diving rounds or?

I'm thinking nothing weird will happen but I wanted to ask here before I tried it. As always thanks for the help!

Quick google is showing me that they make different length magazines, and offer different stocks to fit them.

https://www.savageshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-32400.html

wonderwolf
07-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Oh so they use the same action across the board but different magazines and stocks for the various calibers. I was thinking of that all wrong I guess.

NC_JEFF
07-27-2020, 03:49 PM
All the Axis rifles I've seen were long action if I remember correct

CastingFool
07-28-2020, 12:33 PM
I think they use the same magazine, with different inserts, but the only one I have seen is the one for. 223

BS2
07-28-2020, 09:25 PM
All you need is the short action trigger guard and short magazine.

You still have the long throw.

Rick Hodges
08-04-2020, 07:28 AM
I have an old Savage 110 long action in 223Rem. The factory put a spacer in the rear of the magazine and it feeds fine.

beemer
08-04-2020, 01:33 PM
I have an old 110 with a long action with the staggered feed , it was a 270 that has been traded around the extended family for years. I rebarreled it with a Shaw heavy barrel in 308 Win. I tried several 308 rounds to see if it would feed before I changed the barrel and it worked fine. After the change I found that rounds loaded with a short bullet popped out of the mag lips before lining up with the chamber. The 168 Match Kings loaded as long as possible work fine.

Your Axis probably has a center feed so I don't know how it will react. I would at least try some round to see what happens. Could be a mag change would solve any problems if you have any.