PDA

View Full Version : Did we miss the boat?

44Blam
07-26-2020, 11:18 PM
It seems like a great time to be a primer maker... Only thing I see available is Large Rifle and Shot Shell...

Anyone have any thought on how long it'll take before we start seeing primers again?

Winger Ed.
07-26-2020, 11:23 PM
It seems like a great time to be a primer maker...

Just a wild guess, but I'd figure they're busier than a cat in the sand box.

With all the factory ammo being so picked over and sold out, most of them are probably going to the ammo factories,
since selling loaded ammo is way more profitable than just primers.

When the loaded ammo is back on the store shelves, primers should be right on along behind it.

I'd keep an eye on your local shops.
Sometimes it seems they get restocked first.

dale2242
07-27-2020, 07:22 AM
When the panic buying is over....dale

Green Frog
07-27-2020, 07:58 AM
Part of this is the panic derived from the political situation, and I believe another part of it derives from the opportunity a lot of us have to be doing some delayed or neglected reloading since we are at home more. How many of you have ramped up your reloading a little (or a lot) during this enforced “staycation?” Reloading requires work, so the casual shooter or the panic buyer will leave the components on the shelf as soon as the “spike” in buying everything passes. JMHO, and I’ve been wrong before, but that’s how it looks to me.

Froggie

country gent
07-27-2020, 08:34 AM
The shortages of factory ammo means the primers are going to contracted buyers. The ammo companies contract for their supplies and these are filled before going to reloading components.

the hoarders can really tie things up with panic buying.

And the last to consider, as mentioned above components bring more in loaded ammo so it amazing ammo companies sell any components to the public for reloading. Stop reloading and they get the whole shebang for ammo.

GhostHawk
07-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Chuckles as he thinks of all the primers stored in his basement in .50 cal ammo cans.
Large and small rifle, Large and Small Pistol in thousands. Shotgun 209 primers even.

When times are good and componants plentiful, that is the time to stack up your money and pile up componants.
Stack them deep, wide, and high. We never know which one of these will be our last chance.

sutherpride59
07-27-2020, 09:41 AM
Just one of those things bud

PNW_Steve
07-27-2020, 10:34 AM
What irritates me are the Gunbroker and Craigslist ads offering primers for $125 a thousand.

reddog81
07-27-2020, 12:04 PM
What irritates me are the Gunbroker and Craigslist ads offering primers for $125 a thousand.

I can understand people selling primers for $125 per 1,000... What doesn't makes sense to me is people paying $125. If I was at LGS and someone was looking for primers and willing to pay $100 for 1,000 I'd oblige.

Conditor22
07-27-2020, 12:38 PM
Lesson to learn.

For those of you who went throught the last reloading supply shortage and did stock up ---- I don't feel sorry for you.

Many of us had to scale back on our reloading/shooting then.

Besides checking LGS check farm supply stores and some hardware stores.

Diligence and persistence in your search is the key

Burnt Fingers
07-27-2020, 01:44 PM

You can ask whatever you want. If people are going to be stupid enough to pay that price it's not your fault.

The end of the current silly season will be dependent on what happens in November. If one party ends we should see things coming back to normal in about six months.

If the other party wins we'll be lucky to be able to own most firearms.

FLINTNFIRE
07-27-2020, 02:11 PM
I always buy when available at at a normal price or the rebates and sales , hence even with all the loading I do I have extras for the future and to keep loading or shooting , I remember saying in several threads last year to buy then as prices were normal and supply was available

I wish luck to those who did not learn the lessons of past election years and or other unforeseen circumstances , but it always is a good thing to prepare ahead.

Even with having a stash this recent set of events that are ongoing is only going to prolong the shortage .

gwpercle
07-27-2020, 02:36 PM
The last time (2013) I would say I started finding them on dealer's shelves , at a higher price of course but not E-Bay High , after about one year , by the second year primers could be found in several sizes and occasionally ...On Sale ! That's when I became a Primer and Powder Addict and started buying hoarding everything I could possibly use . After this panic I'll probably buy more , just to have ... I hope the children don't mind their inheritance being in primers and gunpowder ...

By the way ...the panic's are induced , social media can spook the herd to make a run on toilet paper , bottled water ...just about anything ...so this isn't going to be the last .
My advice is stock up when the goods are available ... the panic will happen again ... and again ... and again...
Gary

blikseme300
07-27-2020, 08:14 PM
I can understand people selling primers for $125 per 1,000... What doesn't makes sense to me is people paying $125. If I was at LGS and someone was looking for primers and willing to pay $100 for 1,000 I'd oblige.

Yep, a few years ago I facetiously told a guy at the range I would sell him some 30-round AR mags at $100 a pop when he asked. He dropped 10 Benjamins right there. I sold him the $10 STANNAG cheapo mags right there. Idiot.

GhostHawk
07-27-2020, 09:03 PM
"My advice is stock up when the goods are available ... the panic will happen again ... and again ... and again..."

Agree totally.

Save your money now, wait for supply's to come back and prices to come back down. Then buy LOTS. Stack them deep, wide, and high.
Learn to look at the trends. Buy when supplys are ample and prices are low. Ride on your stock when they can't be found or prices are high.
When it turns around, restock, and add more.

Same is true for TP, paper towels, food, water, all the essentials of life.
Moderation in all things, yes even in moderation.

bedbugbilly
07-27-2020, 09:14 PM
a lot of contributing factors . . . . Covid 19 may have affected productivity . . . . current political outlook . . . . those who remember other times of shortages who tend to buy and hoard . . . .

No different than people who would never have considered buying a firearm now buying them for protection - as well as normal gun consumers equals bare shelves mixed with production shutdowns during Covid crisis

Powder is also in short supply in many locations . . I put in an order a Monday morning to Grqfs a few weeks ago and was amazed at how many different powders were marked out of stock as compared to what I had seen the previous evening . . . I just wanted to get a few 1 pound containers of my most use powders . . . I ended up having to buy 2 different 8 pound jugs of powders i use as nothing else was available . . . but, at least I was able to get it

Not just primers . . . percussion caps are in short supply as well and you see "out of stock" much, much more than "in stock" . . . .

Like anything else . . . supply and demand will set the prices as well . . . . .

I saw the same as the OP when it comes to primers . . . I could find no small pistol primers wherever I looked . . . I put in a primer order to Grafs and within a day or so . . . . all could see were some shotgun primers and Large Rifle Primers . . . .

Personally .. . . . I think supplies are going to be hit or miss for a while . . . .

JWFilips
07-27-2020, 09:18 PM
"Only thing I see available is Large Rifle and Shot Shell..."

You found those Please tell were?

rancher1913
07-27-2020, 10:49 PM
powdervally had shotshell primers a week ago, I picked up some just because. brownells had shotgun primers this morning, but that was several hours ago. on a positive note, ran out of greendot for some buckshot loads I was doing up and could not find it anywhere, stopped at scheels today and they had it on the shelf.

44Blam
07-27-2020, 11:14 PM
"Only thing I see available is Large Rifle and Shot Shell..."

You found those Please tell were?

All the main online suspects: Midway, Powder Valley and Brownells all have shot shell and Large Rifle primers.

44Blam
07-27-2020, 11:15 PM
Anyway, I'm thinking we missed the boat on opening up a primer making company! ;)

Winger Ed.
07-27-2020, 11:22 PM
Anyway, I'm thinking we missed the boat on opening up a primer making company! ;)

Yeah, same story for me too.
Heck, I'm 65 and still trying to think up a better mouse trap so the world can beat a path to my door.:bigsmyl2:

RoyEllis
07-27-2020, 11:38 PM
Remember last spring all those primer & powder rebate deals? Yep, I spent a bunch then.....just had a feeling with election year coming up.

fredj338
07-28-2020, 02:59 PM
Yep, the boat has sailed. Everything started drying up in March. 2012-13 was very bad but this will be worse. In 2012-13, companies put on extra shifts to make ammo & components. The same companies are now running fewer people at their shifts. Throw in riots, pres election, it will get worse before it gets better imo. I don't expect anything that looks normal until next June or so. If Biden pulls a rabbit out of his butt & wins, it could change forever & what you have now may be all you have. Yes it could get that bad.

farmbif
07-28-2020, 03:28 PM
it seems there may be some primers left at smaller local sporting goods stores around the country even though the giant sellers are out. someone posted a link last week or so to a store in PA that had lots of all sizes from cci Winchester and Remington at real good prices too. as far as price gouging last big shortage people were advertising 500 22's for $150 and people were paying it. this year is very different though with election, if democrats get control things might be a whole lot different in the future, our 2A rights need to be not just for firearms but ammo and components too.

fcvan
07-28-2020, 04:24 PM
When things calmed down the last time, I bought 5k at a time, small/large pistol, small/large rifle, but no shot shell. Opps, my bad. I didn't have any hulls, didn't really load shot shell much. My intent was to start loading up so I bought some specialty wads for 69 RB, and wanted to get some hulls to load some 00 Buck and the RB as they were always on the shelf at Sportsman's. I didn't get to town for a while and Sportsman's didn't have any and stopped carrying such components. I guess it will be a while before said stock is available online.

Geezer in NH
07-28-2020, 07:08 PM
Seen the same primer shortage for the 4-5th time since the 80's.

Hey guys did you not learn or do you need a 2x4 across your heads EH!

or are you to cheap to stock up when available? No sorrow for those without.

Four-Sixty
07-28-2020, 08:59 PM
I see primers as a commodity, or good like gold. I hope to leave my kids with a bunch of them if they reload, or not.

Primers are the spark that ignites our freedom.

JWFilips
07-28-2020, 09:00 PM
if Biden is the one I'm taking up Knitting!

SierraHunter
07-28-2020, 09:16 PM
It’s the young guys like me that are really hurting. I was 15 when Obama got in and never had the opportunity to stock up before hand. Finally start to see a come back. Building a house so not a ton of money to invest but did as I could, now it’s gone again.

44Blam
07-28-2020, 11:59 PM
When things calmed down the last time, I bought 5k at a time, small/large pistol, small/large rifle, but no shot shell. Opps, my bad. I didn't have any hulls, didn't really load shot shell much. My intent was to start loading up so I bought some specialty wads for 69 RB, and wanted to get some hulls to load some 00 Buck and the RB as they were always on the shelf at Sportsman's. I didn't get to town for a while and Sportsman's didn't have any and stopped carrying such components. I guess it will be a while before said stock is available online.

You can start loading for shotgun now. I started looking for birdshot because I like to shoot trap - there is still birdshot out there btw...

Then got on to thinking "I only have about 100 buckshot rounds, let's see if there are any out there..." Nope. No buck, no slugs, none of those fancy slug with buckshot, no sabot, no nothing.

So, I looked and I bought a LEE shot press, 4lbs of Herco powder, some #4 birdshot, some wads and a bunch of pre-primed fiochi hulls. Then I also found shotshell primers, so got 5k of those... I have a OO buck shot mold, so I'm good for buckshot. But maybe I need a slug mold??? I just ordered all this crap a week ago.

fastdadio
07-29-2020, 05:46 AM
I didn't really get caught out. I stocked up last time the gettin was good. However, I had no use for small rifle primers at the time. Now, I have recently bought a 350 Legend and want to reload for it. Got the dies from Lee and two hundred rounds to start with......Boom!
No small primers to be found anywhere on the face of the planet. Story of my life. Ace-king-queen-jack-nine.

44Blam
07-29-2020, 11:18 AM
I didn't really get caught out. I stocked up last time the gettin was good. However, I had no use for small rifle primers at the time. Now, I have recently bought a 350 Legend and want to reload for it. Got the dies from Lee and two hundred rounds to start with......Boom!
No small primers to be found anywhere on the face of the planet. Story of my life. Ace-king-queen-jack-nine.

This is what happened to me... I decided a while back that I wasn't going to reload. 223 "unless I had to" and then came along the sweet deal on the 350 legend upper...

Drew P
08-01-2020, 11:26 AM
There’s a shortage? I hadn’t noticed. I’m wide, deep, and high

Drew P
08-01-2020, 11:28 AM
if Biden is the one I'm taking up Knitting!

Better get safety needles

mdi
08-01-2020, 01:25 PM
For those that didn't learn from the obumma administration, getting prepared is easy without panic hoarding. For a bunch of years whenever I went to a store that sold components I would buy an extra pound of powder or brick of primers or rimfires. Probably not every single time, but often enough to build up my personal inventory. I haven't purchased powder on line in several years (I get a stomach ache when I have to pay Has Mat rip off fees) but when some was on sale, or I had a bit of extra cash, I'd buy some (I got a good tax return one year and I bought an 8 lb jug of Universal and an 8 lb. jug of WC 820 a military surplus new powder). Today I am running short of large pistol primers because I've been reloading and shooting 45 ACP a lot and have maybe 400 primed cases waiting, but other sizes I have a minimum of 4,000 of each size, small, large, standard, magnum, and rifle and pistol. I probably have 40 lbs of various powders and a 5 gal bucket full of 22 lr bricks and maybe 40-50 loose boxes. My age has slowed my shooting/reloading down so if I cannot restock at all, I probably can shoot at my present rate for 4-5 more years...

Not bragging or patting myself on the back, but sharing how easy it is to not get caught short and not having to panic buy every thing in sight and costing a month's wages...

Hanzy4200
08-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Careful saying that! Last time I said something similar a few wanted to crucify me. They think everything should always be fair, for everyone. Selling for more than you paid? How obscene! How dare you take capitalist advantage of those poor people!

I don't think they are aware of their own stupidity. Vilifying a investment for your own personal gain? Sounds like communism to me.

Hanzy4200
08-02-2020, 11:32 AM
For those that didn't learn from the obumma administration, getting prepared is easy without panic hoarding. For a bunch of years whenever I went to a store that sold components I would buy an extra pound of powder or brick of primers or rimfires. Probably not every single time, but often enough to build up my personal inventory. I haven't purchased powder on line in several years (I get a stomach ache when I have to pay Has Mat rip off fees) but when some was on sale, or I had a bit of extra cash, I'd buy some (I got a good tax return one year and I bought an 8 lb jug of Universal and an 8 lb. jug of WC 820 a military surplus new powder). Today I am running short of large pistol primers because I've been reloading and shooting 45 ACP a lot and have maybe 400 primed cases waiting, but other sizes I have a minimum of 4,000 of each size, small, large, standard, magnum, and rifle and pistol. I probably have 40 lbs of various powders and a 5 gal bucket full of 22 lr bricks and maybe 40-50 loose boxes. My age has slowed my shooting/reloading down so if I cannot restock at all, I probably can shoot at my present rate for 4-5 more years...

Not bragging or patting myself on the back, but sharing how easy it is to not get caught short and not having to panic buy every thing in sight and costing a month's wages...

Smart guy. Exactly how I feel. This is only what, the 3rd panic in less than 10 years? Some people just never learn.

El Greco
08-03-2020, 12:29 AM
I made one promise to my self during the Obama years that I will never get caught with my pants down again when it comes to reloading components. I’m doing great.

rbuck351
08-03-2020, 09:48 AM
The first time I got caught by a shortage was a primer shortage in the late 70s IIRC. It hasn't happened since and I will not out live my current supply of primers, powder, lead, bullets or brass.
There is an auction place near me that frequently has guns and reloading supplies and I have bought quite a few primers between 1 and 2 cents each. I still buy more at those prices no matter whether I think I need them or not. Also I have got a few real deals on other reloading stuff. I got a box of stuff with a Bonanza co-ax and a loading scale for $40. Didn't need either one but the price was right.
Buy as much as you can when the price is right. Do not wait for a shortage to try to get something. I don't know when or what the next shortage will be about but I know more shortages are on the way. I would have never guessed TP but I had about 150 rolls when it started. Because of inflation prices will never get cheaper.

Russel A
08-03-2020, 02:34 PM
I picked up 25,000 small pistol, 25,000 small rifle, 15,000 large pistol, 15,000 large rifle years ago before Obama started the ammo contracts towards the end of his term.
Lesson learned. I should have bought more to replenish as I reloaded.

Hanzy4200
08-03-2020, 03:16 PM
The first time I got caught by a shortage was a primer shortage in the late 70s IIRC. It hasn't happened since and I will not out live my current supply of primers, powder, lead, bullets or brass.
There is an auction place near me that frequently has guns and reloading supplies and I have bought quite a few primers between 1 and 2 cents each. I still buy more at those prices no matter whether I think I need them or not. Also I have got a few real deals on other reloading stuff. I got a box of stuff with a Bonanza co-ax and a loading scale for $40. Didn't need either one but the price was right.
Buy as much as you can when the price is right. Do not wait for a shortage to try to get something. I don't know when or what the next shortage will be about but I know more shortages are on the way. I would have never guessed TP but I had about 150 rolls when it started. Because of inflation prices will never get cheaper.

That is awesome! I love a good deal. In my area, the few auctions that feature anything gun related get swarmed. We are a very firearm oriented community. More times than not I see stuff selling for more than new cost. A few weeks ago a auctioneer sold a bunch of regular Winchester #7 1/2 shells for $9 a box! They're in stock at Walmart for $5.75 apiece.

kevin c
08-04-2020, 11:42 AM

This is a relatively painless way of building a reserve, the cost being both less and spread out, but does take time, storage space, cash and foresight. It beats the miserable alternatives of no components = no ammo = no shooting, or the irritation of paying through the nose, by a mile.