PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating glued my Linear comp together??

lar45
07-24-2020, 03:30 PM
Hi everybody,
I have a Tomix Linear Comp on my Ruger AR 450 Bushmaster and have been very pleased with it so far.
Over the last few weeks I've been playing with powder coated bullets in it and a couple days ago I went to take it apart to clean and inspect it, but couldn't get the insert unscrewed.
I ended up taking the comp off, clamped it in a soft jawed vise and with a lot of force was finally able to break it free. When the insert unscrewed and came out there was alot of hard brittle flakes that look like they came off of the sides of the comp.

I'm wondering if the powder coating on the base of the bullets vaporized and stuck to the inside of the comp?

Has anyone else experienced a build up inside of their comps or supressors?

geslayton
07-24-2020, 03:40 PM
How many rounds did you shoot through it? I have been sporadically shooting powder coated boolits in my 300 BLK through suppressors and haven't noticed anything yet, but, my suppressors aren't serviceable, so haven't looked inside.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Gtek
07-24-2020, 04:37 PM
A good coating of silver anti-seize in threads and outside of baffles and contact areas may make your experiences a little more enjoyable.

popper
07-24-2020, 05:52 PM
I use a kaw valley comp on my BO pistol. Gets a lot of lead buildup on the muzzle But no evidence of PC. These are PB 170 gr so maybe some base cutting.

mto7464
07-24-2020, 06:04 PM
could be lead too. My suppressor got some lead it it using PC coated bullets. I have heard of a lot of comps getting leaded as well. No lead in the barrel.

cupajoe
07-25-2020, 02:41 AM
Well it sure could be pc or lead buildup in the comp. The powder gasses are no longer contained behind the bullet and free to blow by burning off pc and lead. Some recovered bullets would be nice to see.

lar45
07-25-2020, 01:48 PM
I've only shot maybe 30 rounds of PC bullets through it.
I'm using the MP 320gn Ruger Only mold, it's plain based, and Kawasaki Green, don't remember who I bought it from, I'll check. I did try a few lubed with Carnauba Blue, maybe 5 or 10 shots.
I have mostly just shot Jacketed with it and have not noticed anything other than powder fouling that gets cleaned with Ed's Red periodically.

lar45
07-26-2020, 04:38 PM
The Powder is from All Powder Paints, Kawasaki Green

I shot one into 4 jugs of water to collect it.

PJEagle
07-26-2020, 09:46 PM
After seeing the photo of the recovered boolit, I am wondering if the powder coating was really cured. Do other boolits from other firearms with this powder coating exhibit a lack of powder left on the recovered boolit?

DHDeal
07-28-2020, 12:34 PM
I don't pretend to know what can be causing your issue, but have had something similar that I attributed to fouling (either lead or carbon). A 327 FA97 would start to be hard to cock after 50 ish rounds and I found that I was getting some fouling on the cylinder pin area. Everything shot out of this revolver is cast bullets PC'd. Just for kicks, I lubed some of the bullets (MP GCHP Sledgehammer) with a lube called Carnuba Blue (wonder who makes it��������) and I could shoot as long as I pleased. I know I was getting a very small amount of lead fouling, but I never saw any build up in the barrel, only on the forcing cone area of the cylinder frame.

I still shoot a cylinder full of PC with lube bullets through that revolver occasionally and the problem seems to be in check due to the extra lubrication. It does add an extra step, but I'm sure you have the capability to lube some bullets after they've been PC'd.

By the way lar45, I am a huge PC fan but I still love your lubes!