PDA

View Full Version : Questions and opinions CZ70 vs. 85bb

mattw
07-23-2020, 08:19 PM
I own a very clean CZ70, I have done the load development work that I wanted to do for 32ACP. I enjoy the gun, but it also drives me nuts. The trigger is not great and I don't think it can be made great. The gun is super clean and does not have any importers marks. But, it is not a gun that I would carry or drag out just for the fun of it. Very seldom do I consider parting with a gun, but I have been known to do it from time to time.

Replacement? I am considering an 85BB. Better trigger, better ft/lbs, similar capacity. It would be a full size partner to my 911 as well.

Looking for opinions pro or con...

Thanks

onelight
07-23-2020, 08:39 PM
I have not had a cz85 BD but I have experience with the CZ75 b and they are wonderful guns the base models come with a fairly heavy military trigger but there are parts available to make them excellent . I think the main difference in the 85 and 75 is ambidextrous controls .

rking22
07-23-2020, 09:23 PM
Forgot about the CZ85, I assume you are talking about the Beretta 85 series guns showing up surplus. If I were you I would go with the 81 in 32 or 84 in 380, they are very slightly thicker in the grip and half the cost.
To answer directly, I have never had the CZ, but the ones I have handled did not call to me. I do have the Berettas 81BB,84BB, and an 86. I love the Berettas and for the current cost of a surplus 81 series gun , well that CZ would find another home if that’s what it took to get the Beretta. I saw 2 of the 85BB guns last week, both were best of 10 and both were in very nice condition. Like I said, I would spend less and get the double stack 81 or 84, but the 85 is a fine gun as well.

onelight
07-23-2020, 09:56 PM
I am not sure if he is asking about CZ 85 a double stack 9mm ,
or a beretta 85 he did not mention Beretta but that may be what he is asking about.

mattw
07-23-2020, 10:52 PM
I am asking about the Beretta 85BB in 380. I have found a very reasonable 85BB not far from me and am concerned about adding another not often used or purposed gun. I know, sacrilege.

onelight
07-23-2020, 10:53 PM
That helps CZ made a model 85 also

rintinglen
07-23-2020, 11:01 PM
Personally, I'd get the BERETTA 85BB and not look back. The trigger is far superior, and those open top Berettas are as reliable as a pistol can be. I have an 81. a Tomcat and an 84bb and they are excellent. Not pocket pistols, save maybe for the Tomcat but fun guns that have double-stack magazines that give you 4 or 5 rounds more than the CZ 70.

Just to be clear, the CZ70 (also known as VZ-70) is a compact, Walther PP wannabe, originally designed after WW II as a police service pistol as the CZ-50 and re-vamped in 1970 to improve it. It is in the same general class as the Beretta 85, in that it is a single stack, 8 shot DA/SA compact pistol, but the upside down safety--up is off, down is on--and the awful trigger make it a poor choice in my view, at least compared to the Beretta. That is, if you were contemplating using it as a personal defense weapon. If it's just a range toy, then you pays your money and takes your choice,

evort
08-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Personally, I'd get the BERETTA 85BB and not look back. The trigger is far superior, and those open top Berettas are as reliable as a pistol can be. I have an 81. a Tomcat and an 84bb and they are excellent. Not pocket pistols, save maybe for the Tomcat but fun guns that have double-stack magazines that give you 4 or 5 rounds more than the CZ 70.

Just to be clear, the CZ70 (also known as VZ-70) is a compact, Walther PP wannabe, originally designed after WW II as a police service pistol as the CZ-50 and re-vamped in 1970 to improve it. It is in the same general class as the Beretta 85, in that it is a single stack, 8 shot DA/SA compact pistol, but the upside down safety--up is off, down is on--and the awful trigger make it a poor choice in my view, at least compared to the Beretta. That is, if you were contemplating using it as a personal defense weapon. If it's just a range toy, then you pays your money and takes your choice,

Agreed.

Combat Diver
08-04-2020, 10:53 AM
I love the cz50s but the cz70 was supposed to be an improvement but I don't think so. My 1950 dated one is a great shooter. That said for OPs intent I think the Beretta 85BB would be a nice addition. As I type this I'm trying to blow thru 3000rds of 9x18mm out of a Bulgarian Makarov. Wish I had another Polish PM63 or Stechkin to shoot this up.

CD