PDA

View Full Version : Custom build 1903a1

straight_shooter
07-23-2020, 11:16 AM
1903a1 #3,###,### +
Action bedded, floating barrel,

RedlegEd
07-23-2020, 09:53 PM
Nice! Welcome to CB. Original barrel? Two or four grove? Please provide a range report when you get a chance.
Ed

Der Gebirgsjager
07-24-2020, 12:42 PM
Very interesting rifle, straight shooter. I've never seen anything exactly like it. A couple of questions: Apparently the stock separates at the approximate mid-point of the receiver? I can understand the butt half being held on by the rear tang screw, and the front half by the front trigger guard/floor plate screw, but is there any other connection, or do the two halves of the stock just butt together? Looks like sandpaper on the wrist, but maybe something else? An interesting alternative to checkering-- I've never seen that before. Last question, for now, the picture of the muzzle shows a flat at 1-3 o'clock. What is that for?

DG

Baltimoreed
07-24-2020, 03:01 PM
The flats are to unscrew the break, not one piece of bbl there. Is it cerakoted? Looks sharp. I’ve always liked a laminate stock for something unusual. Bipods are neat too.

swheeler
07-24-2020, 03:16 PM
Looks very nice, what is the finish on barreled receiver, bolt appears a different color?

Texas by God
07-24-2020, 04:06 PM
More info would be nice. The bolt looks like original parkerizing- the rest is paint - or Cerakote?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

koger
07-24-2020, 05:49 PM
I just refinished the wifes .270, in that same color, using Brownells Aluma Hyde 2, which they tell me is the same as duracoat and have fount it to wear about the same. I also sprayed 2 coats of Matte sealer on it, and that darkened it up, an made it look even better. I recently did a 1903 and gave it a flat black finish, per the owner.

swheeler
07-27-2020, 09:28 AM
I just refinished the wifes .270, in that same color, using Brownells Aluma Hyde 2, which they tell me is the same as duracoat and have fount it to wear about the same. I also sprayed 2 coats of Matte sealer on it, and that darkened it up, an made it look even better. I recently did a 1903 and gave it a flat black finish, per the owner.

What does it wear like, can you use it on a bolt, does it chip or scratch easily? I think the only "painted" guns I've dealt with are the Hi Point models and what ever they use is pretty tough stuff.

WILCO
07-28-2020, 10:34 AM
Looks great!

edp2k
07-29-2020, 01:36 AM
What stock is that?

swheeler
07-29-2020, 09:35 AM
It looks like Boyds classic JRS or what ever they call it? The OP will be back with some answers, hope.:-)

beltfed
07-29-2020, 01:54 PM
THIS is a REAL, Original Springfield M1903A1/M1941 Marine Corps Sniper Rifle.
beltfed/arnie

straight_shooter
07-29-2020, 03:22 PM
thanks..
Built this 10+yrs ago,. the original furniture was long gone.
Stock is a pepper-laminated . action fully bedded , the grip is just a rough tan color non-slip paint
Bolt is polish of all the original parkerization and the lever machined to clear. there is alot of the original parkerization on it but i did paint it with ZINC-CHROMATE primer ..tough stuff ,!!and easy to touch up.
On the end of the barrel is not flash suppressor but a muzzle break/recoil reducer.
The muzzle break is a one of a kind design by a good frd who gunsmiths as a hobby is a machinist by trade. took him a few yrs of data to come up with the 2 cuts, curtain angles and length of best performance..i i say it doesnt jump as 1/2 as i1 used to upon firing .
the flat were to screw it on..nothing to do with performance..so it can be changed out .

beltfed
07-29-2020, 03:29 PM
My days of HI Power shooting are long gone,
Nowadays, I only shoot the M1941 in CBA Vin Mil cast bullet matches.
It has shot a 100/6X on the 600 reduced at 200yds with 311299 bullet
I have had this rifle since 1963. Cost me $45 then.
beltfed/arnie

straight_shooter
07-29-2020, 03:53 PM
beltfed

I understand,,my shoulder isnt what it used to be either.
.I'm casting w/w lead into 180 for lighter shots, but i do have some heavy hitters loads
200gr spizter boat tails to reach out and lighter 125gr spitzers ,, with a tin or two of GREEK M2 BALL from CMP.
The M2 ball is my fun shooting plinking rds to i can have the brass to reload .

my eyes arent as good either .so i also have 50mm scope hardmounted

edp2k
07-29-2020, 06:56 PM
>>What stock is that?
> Stock is a pepper-laminated
Straight_shhoter, thanks for the reply :)

That said, pepper-laminated is the type of wood, I would really appreciate it if you
let me know the name of the company that made the stock and the name of that style of stock.

I really like the looks of yours so much that I want to buy that stock myself :)

straight_shooter
07-29-2020, 09:35 PM
adpk2
honestly i wish i didnt know the manu... but looks like a boyds.
I bought it online ( like mentione 10+ yrs ago) whom was doing the same project, but i gues he wanted to go original furniture ..
It originall looked grey until i stained and coated it with a marine -varnish.
( did the same varnish on my russian sks . laminated stock )