PDA

View Full Version : eBay PayPal catch 22

farmbif
07-22-2020, 10:28 AM
I know its been discussed before the problems we have with PayPal.
was reading through the swapping and selling section how account was frozen because "gun parts" was in the memo line of a PayPal transaction.
lots and lots of gun parts, scopes, shooting accessories and reloading tools are sold on eBay every day and last I knew eBay insists that payments should be made through PayPal
Its disgusting that PayPal wants to discriminate and push their anti gun agenda through a financial tool.
I guess I'm just venting frustration. I used to do a lot of eBay selling having up to 100 ads going at any given time, selling everything from pipe fittings to motor graders all over the world, but times and circumstances have changed.

dverna
07-22-2020, 10:44 AM
Used to buy bullets on eBay too. But it seems only Democrats are smart enough to do things like eBay, Amazon, PayPal, etc etc. You know, things that people will actually use in their daily lives. These are privately held companies and have the right to control their content.

Just like the Redskins...or whatever they will become.

Do I like it? NO!!! But I use them anyway because they provide a service I need/want at a competitive price and in some cases there is not reasonable option.

Wisest.fool
07-22-2020, 10:44 AM
I just put machine parts in the description. And thats what i say to the post office ladies. I mean they are parts of a machine....

Scrounge
07-22-2020, 10:48 AM
I just put machine parts in the description. And thats what i say to the post office ladies. I mean they are parts of a machine....

I say "sporting goods." They are that, too! ;) Unless it's Linotype #2, then I give them a spiel about amateur typesetters. :bigsmyl2:

bedbugbilly
07-22-2020, 11:22 AM
OP - agree with you 100%.

I don't like it either . . . so work around it and put as little in the memo as possible. Kind of hypocritical though . . . funny how fleabay allows gun parts, reloading tools, etc. and have no problems requiring payment through PP. It's all about the money they can make off of it . . . and in turn, push their Leftist agenda. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they not headquartered i the Republik of Kalifornia?

bakerjw
07-22-2020, 12:59 PM
I sold 2 lots of 500 38 special brass on EBay. I put the ad up, sold it in an hour, got paid. Several hours later I was informed that I violated their terms and they pulled my auctions. AFTER I had been paid.

BigAlofPa.
07-22-2020, 01:10 PM
I ordered from Walther with my paypal card. The billed my order as business supplies.

beechbum444
07-22-2020, 01:43 PM
As Yuri said in Lord of War label it as “ farm equipment “ so, you’re a lead farmer....right

dragon813gt
07-22-2020, 02:50 PM
But it seems only Democrats are smart enough to do things like eBay, Amazon, PayPal, etc etc. You know, things that people will actually use in their daily lives.

This has been driving me nuts for many years now. For all the complaining that conservatives do they do not put their money where their mouth is. I realize it’s hard to create a product that many people will use. Especially against established competition. But they don’t do anything to help their causes. I do not have the money or expertise to attempt an endeavor like this. If I did I would attempt to do so.

gwpercle
07-22-2020, 03:30 PM
Some banks in Louisiana came out with a directive to not make bank loans to any gun dealers or gunsmith operations , perfectly legal , no laws against it .... The State Of Louisiana then barred said banks from doing any and all business with the State .
It's not just PayPal ...the banking industry is tied with the left in pushing an anti-gun agenda .
What happens when you or I go to get a new car loan and we're denied a loan because we are gun owners ... think it can't happen ...watch , keep your eyes open it is happening and nobody seems aware .
Gary

higgins
07-22-2020, 04:44 PM
I closed my Paypal account about a year ago because I didn't want an account I seldom (never) used out there available for hacking. Seems like most of the Ebay vendors will take a credit card, and anything I've wanted to buy from an individual can be done with a usps money order or personal check, and I will accept a usps money order or a personal check if the buyer is willing to wait for it to clear. I just haven't felt at a disadvantage since I closed my Paypal account.

Bazoo
07-22-2020, 04:55 PM
I have bought and sold gun stuff on ebay with no issues. If a seller offers to accept any payment other than paypal in your add they won't post it. You get a message saying that's not allowed. At least they did when I tried it. Often times ebay is the only place to find some gun parts, so it has some value there.

Mal Paso
07-22-2020, 05:54 PM
I thought PayPal was eBay but it was spun off in 2015 as a separately traded company and the original transition agreements with eBay ended this month.

Alvarez Kelly
07-22-2020, 06:15 PM
I have used my credit card to pay for ALL my eBay purchases for several years now. This got a lot easier after eBay sold off PayPal.

Guess what? As an occasion seller on eBay, I am required to link a bank account to my seller account by the end of this month, or I can no longer sell anything. After reading everything I could in the subject, it looks to me like they are taking PayPal out of the payment process completely. And the fees are going up. They’ll be getting 12 percent, plus 30 cents per transaction on the final price charged the customer. That includes the sale price, the shipping, AND the sales tax! I think they are trying to drive the occasional seller away.

StuBach
07-22-2020, 07:57 PM
I think eBay is going to end up disappearing if they are trying to drive away their “occasional seller”. I’ve been selling on eBay for 20 years and have always had great luck cause I charge fair prices and am honest in descriptions. If these fees go up than I’ll find other avenues to off load my trash/treasures. There are a ton of upstart alternatives coming out that can take its place and I’ve noticed more vendors on amazon doing one off items now too.

Sucks to have to change but eBay has been trending worse and worse and is mostly vendors pawning foreign cheap knockoffs now. Great price but usually junk in my experience.

Markopolo
07-22-2020, 08:03 PM
how long for folks to be able to buy pot on ebay???

bakerjw
07-22-2020, 08:12 PM
I've had poor luck lately selling industrial automation items on EBay for the last year or so. It seems that it is more of a storefront for bigger sellers than anything else these days.

dtknowles
07-22-2020, 11:46 PM
There is an opening for someone to replace e-bay for the occasional seller. Kind of like how GunBroker came to be when e-bay stopped allowing gun stuff.

Is there a "garage sale . com" or virtual flea market?

Tim

William Yanda
07-23-2020, 08:00 AM
Facebook marketplace and Letgo are a couple that come to mind. And Craigslist too.

Bazoo
07-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Ebay still allows gun stuff.

dtknowles
07-23-2020, 07:48 PM
Ebay still allows gun stuff.

I used to sell brass on ebay, I don't think you can anymore. I don't think you can sell bullets or other reloading components either and definitely you can't sell guns but I guess there is a lot of gun stuff you can sell on ebay but I don't look for it there.

Tim