View Full Version : Stock making

abunaitoo
07-22-2020, 02:02 AM
It seems to be a dying art.
At least here.
Anyone still make stocks??????

Stephen Cohen
07-22-2020, 02:17 AM
I have made several, mainly for my Martini actions, I have modified many more though. I find the eyes are not what they once were so I would rather buy a semi finished stock these days. Regards Stephen

abunaitoo
07-22-2020, 02:53 AM
A few years ago, we had a very good stock maker here.
He took a little long, but his stocks were works of art.
He was also a great gunsmith.
His firearms are treasured here.
So far, no one here comes close to him.
Seems stock making just takes to much work.

StuBach
07-22-2020, 05:58 AM
Maybe it’s just my impression but seems like wood stocks in general are a dying breed. Everyone seems to want plastic or laminate now.

Give me a nice walnut stock any day.

LawrenceA
07-22-2020, 06:16 AM
Seems to be dying for modern guns but growing for those that prefer old school smoke poles.
Like Stubach I prefer wood.

Nothing nicer than a nice chunk of tree.

RU shooter
07-22-2020, 06:27 AM
Most want function over form . Plus add in the cost of what a custom stock maker would charge these days to make a profit and living . Can folks make them at home out of a plank sure lots still do for longrifles if they have the time , skills, patience and the right tools already on hand . If they don't have those is cheaper to buy a semi finished stock

quack1
07-22-2020, 07:32 AM
I made, repaired, refinished and checkered stocks as a side job for over 50 years. When a teenager, I was encouraged and given some pointers by a local gunsmith, mostly, I think, to keep me from hanging out in his shop and pestering him with constant questions. Made my first stock when I was 14 or 15. I enjoyed it, but had to gradually taper off over a few years and finally stop completely due to arthritis. I own quite a few guns that I bought for very little because they had broken or missing stocks. Bought, fixed up, and sold a bunch, too. Also built a few really nice custom Mausers for myself.

koehn,jim
07-22-2020, 08:38 AM
Go online and look up Richards Microfit stocks. They are in Sun Valley and sell semi inleted stocks for you to finish. They are reasonable depending on the wood you pick.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-22-2020, 09:12 AM
It seems to be a dying art.
At least here.
Anyone still make stocks??????

My friend (local to me) still makes them.
I posted some years ago, two stocks he made that I now own.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?195360-Mauser-WOWser&p=2168275#post2168275

Handloader109
07-24-2020, 10:09 PM
.30carbnut has been making a few. I've done a bit of engraving for him and he's done up several really nice stocks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

country gent
07-24-2020, 10:53 PM
What Im learning is with the new people price is it. They seldom care about looks or craftsmanship. As long as its cheap and functional. Stock making is dying out because people can buy the pre fit and fiberglass jobs cheaper and faster then that nice slab of walnut and wait a few months for it to come back. One of the most enjoyable aspects when I bought my cpa rifle was looking thru the available blanks they had available. I finally realized that on screen wasnt the best so told Paul to pick me a nice matching set. When ever I uncase that rifle it gets looks and comments the wood is gorgeous. Most come and say you arnt really going to shoot that one are you. The black rifles and tacti cool have really hurt the fine walnut and stock makers.

Both my NM M1as have bishop heavy walnut stocks on them. Actions bedded in and many coats of tru oil. Nice grain coloring and sealed up well enough they are very accurate regardless of weather. Both of my stocks were heavy M14 with the selector cut out. Both vame with little inserts that matched the stock good and were epoxied in for M1As.