PDA

View Full Version : I have about 30 suspect 45 ACP cartridges and I want instant gratification

guy_with_boolits
07-21-2020, 11:49 PM
About 15 are a batch I reloaded where I realized there was a good possibility one got a double charge

The other 15 are range pickups, almost certainly brand new factory, but I dont trust them.

So I am short on 45 ACP ammo right now and I want to quickly reload them all, properly. So I want to reuse their bullets. Any issue with that if I kinetically extract them?

I dont want to wait. I want satisfaction NOW. I want to turn these 30 tumors into 30 pure, clean, ready to shoot 45ACP without buying anything or waiting

Winger Ed.
07-21-2020, 11:56 PM
That's what I'd do with them.
And use a single stage press shell holder instead of the 3 piece thing they come with.
Then run them back through the press without depriming my own.
Range stuff, I'd pop the primer or extend the pin way down, and carefully push it out with a big towel tossed over the press.

The ones with unknown powder:
Put it in the flower bed or take vengence on fire ants and light it off.

rancher1913
07-21-2020, 11:57 PM
you could always weigh them to see if any are a double charge.

megasupermagnum
07-21-2020, 11:57 PM
Sure, that's what bullet pullers are for.

guy_with_boolits
07-21-2020, 11:58 PM
That's what I'd do with them.
Then run them back through the press without depriming my own.
Range stuff, I'd pop the primer or extend the pin way down, and carefully push it out with a big towel tossed over the press.

The ones with unknown powder:
Put it in the flower bed or take vengence on fire ants and light it off.

ya def dump the powder

do I really need to push out unused primers? how could primers be wrong?

I have so much 45ACP brass I guess I could cheat and just reuse the bullets only, in fresh brass that I prime

guy_with_boolits
07-21-2020, 11:59 PM
you could always weigh them to see if any are a double charge.

I tried but the brass is all mixed and had enough variation on its own to obscure the double charge

farmbif
07-22-2020, 12:05 AM
as rancher says, weigh them. ive done it before been stupid while reloading get distracted and thought I might have double charged one, if any found to be more than a couple grains off on mixed brass lot they get knocked apart, if all done with same brass they should all be within a grain is what I've found.

guy_with_boolits
07-22-2020, 12:09 AM
as rancher says, weigh them. ive done it before been stupid while reloading get distracted and thought I might have double charged one, if any found to be more than a couple grains off on mixed brass lot they get knocked apart, if all done with same brass they should all be within a grain is what I've found.

ya mine arent all the same

I measured all 15 of the suspect batch and found variations in both directions that made it impossible to detect the possible double charge

Winger Ed.
07-22-2020, 12:14 AM

Your deal. I'm just telling ya what I'd do.

Maybe the ones on the ground were tossed there for a reason, like part of a batch of duds.
They may be a different brand than yours and the accuracy will be different.
For 4 cents each, I wouldn't mess with them.

JimB..
07-22-2020, 12:30 AM
I put a bit of foam in the nose or my impact puller, it helps protect the bullet.

RKJ
07-22-2020, 02:25 AM
I put a bit of foam in the nose or my impact puller, it helps protect the bullet.

Yep, foam ear plugs work great.

Froogal
07-22-2020, 09:20 AM
ya def dump the powder

I have so much 45ACP brass I guess I could cheat and just reuse the bullets only, in fresh brass that I prime

If you found live, unfired ammo at the range, I would take a good look at the primers.

DocSavage
07-22-2020, 09:54 AM
Kinetic puller,howong will it take to dismantle 30 rds of pistol ammo 5 min maybe. Otherwise scrap bucket.

BigAlofPa.
07-22-2020, 09:59 AM
I found almost a box of 38 special reloads. I found out why they left them behind when i pulled them. They were very undercharged. Some only had a few powder flakes.

John Boy
07-22-2020, 10:28 AM
Kinetic puller,how long will it take to dismantle 30 rds of pistol ammo 5 min maybe. Otherwise scrap bucket.
Buy one and start whacking. Weighing reloads for different unknown weights is scarry. In addition to the powder - case and bullet weights will vary

Otherwise, with your OCD compulsion - Take Your Chances

onelight
07-22-2020, 10:38 AM
I would pull them case + bullet weight variations in 45 acp can be more than the powder charge .
For me not worth the risk .

mdi
07-22-2020, 11:17 AM
The other 15 are range pickups, almost certainly brand new factory, but I dont trust them.If you believe them to be new, not reloaded then they can be fired. I've found a lot of unfired ammo on the ground at the "range" I frequent. Sometimes just dropped and not picked up, not noticed. If you still don't trust them the yes, pull the bullets (earplug in the impact puller and shell holder works for me for quite a few years), dump the powder, and reload. On your reloads, depending on the powder charge, they can be weighed for a double charge. If you are using a small load of fast powder then the component variations can be problematic. Since I wouldn't be looking for an exact weight, I think I could find one that is 5 grains heavier, average, than the others. But in the long run it's your concern with you/your gun's safety. I've pulled handloads for much less than a double charge...

gwpercle
07-22-2020, 11:19 AM
Tip #1 :
Break the crimp on the loaded rounds by seating them just 1/16th " deeper into the case .
All Boolits will kinetic pull much easier if you break the crimp first .

#2 :
3 or 4 medium hard hits beat one monster gorilla gorilla hit when it comes to pulling boolits .
After breaking crimps 3 med firm hits on a solid surface , at most 4 , should have the boolit out .
Solid surface ...concrete slab solid not hitting flimsy work bench top that has flex .

Gary

Conditor22
07-22-2020, 11:21 AM
"Patience Grasshopper"

Impatience has no place in reloading If you value your body parts.

You didn't mention if these were jacketed of cast boolits.

jacketed - pull bullets with kinetic puller, re-flare case mouth, charge, seat and crimp bullet

cast - pull boolit re-flare case mouth, charge, seat and crimp NEW BOOLIT I don't reuse pulled cast boolits

scattershot
07-22-2020, 11:24 AM
Weigh the components together (Powder, primer, case, bullet) as a base weight. Any loaded ammo heavier than this weight should be pulled and reloaded.

guy_with_boolits
07-22-2020, 11:28 AM
Weigh the components together (Powder, primer, case, bullet) as a base weight. Any loaded ammo heavier than this weight should be pulled and reloaded.

they are random mixed headstamp and they have enough normal variation to obscure a double charge

Conditor22
07-22-2020, 03:03 PM
Don't rely on weighing, too many variables and NOT WORTH THE RISK IF YOUR WRONG!!!

The ONLY way weighing would work is IF you previously weighed all the cases and they are the same weight AND you previously weighed ALL the Boolits and they are the same weight!!!

toallmy
07-22-2020, 04:01 PM
Vent you frustrated with the hammer , better safe than sorry .

higgins
07-22-2020, 04:50 PM
I think weighting would only work if the ones you weigh are the same cases and bullets; different cases could vary as much as a light charge of fast-burning powder.

I pick up factory loads and reloads at the range too, and do what you're contemplating doing. Factory loads may have sealant on the bullet, so seating them just a hair deeper to break the seal will make them easier to pull.

1hole
07-22-2020, 05:03 PM
... do I really need to push out unused primers? how could primers be wrong?

There is absolutely no reason to dump the primers. BUT, if you do dump them, don't sweat it. After all, they're just little bitty primers, not dynamite. And IF one should actually pop it's already well contained inside a closed steel die, itself screwed hard into a press so there's no need for wearing a safety helmet with a full face shield or steel toe boots. ;)

guy_with_boolits
07-22-2020, 09:51 PM
Don't rely on weighing, too many variables and NOT WORTH THE RISK IF YOUR WRONG!!!

The ONLY way weighing would work is IF you previously weighed all the cases and they are the same weight AND you previously weighed ALL the Boolits and they are the same weight!!!

I keep repeating that weighing did not work and that the weight differences obscured the double charge (if present), so why are people still warning me not to weigh

mdi
07-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Also, it's difficult to say how hard and how many times to whack the puller mainly because of bullet weight. For example, pulling a 45 ACP with a 230 gr. FMJ takes way fewer hits than a 115 FMJ in a 9mm. One trick I use is to use a lead ingot for an anvil. It is much quieter, less vibration, is easier on my hands, and just as effective as using a hard surface. BTW I won't pound on a concrete floor or a steel anvil with a plastic mallet, just old machinist/mechanic preferences...

762 shooter
07-23-2020, 06:26 AM
I know you are getting ready to weigh the rounds to find a variation but don't do it.

Dusty Bannister
07-23-2020, 06:54 AM
There is absolutely no reason to dump the primers. BUT, if you do dump them, don't sweat it. After all, they're just little bitty primers, not dynamite. And IF one should actually pop it's already well contained inside a closed steel die, itself screwed hard into a press so there's no need for wearing a safety helmet with a full face shield or steel toe boots. ;)

The expelled primer is not contained. The pressure is contained in the deprime die. The primer is pressed out and travels through the shell holder and down the groove of the press ram and usually into the tray in front of the press operator. Wear face and eye protection. If the primer pops, the primer becomes a projectile.

ioon44
07-23-2020, 08:08 AM
I pull lots of live primers from range pickups, just use slow sturdy pressure with your press, not that big of a deal.

GhostHawk
07-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Pull them all. Any primer with any mark at all would get popped out and tossed.

Reload the jacketed bullets if you like, but like above I would use clean new cast to reload.

30 with a case holder in an impact puller takes at most half an hour. And leaves NO possible bombs for you to worry about.

guy_with_boolits
07-23-2020, 10:58 AM
I know you are getting ready to weigh the rounds to find a variation but don't do it.

I'm going to pretend I didnt see this

mdi
07-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Reading all the posts, the "disagreements", the replies to questions not asked, the repetitious posts ("don't weigh them..."), and all the opposing posts ("shoot 'em" vs "pull everything"), I'm thinking guy with boolits is more confused than when he started the thread...

fredj338
07-23-2020, 12:29 PM
I rarely get good results with pulled bullets. So I would pull them, reuse the case & primer, reload with new bullets.

guy_with_boolits
07-23-2020, 01:11 PM
I rarely get good results with pulled bullets. So I would pull them, reuse the case & primer, reload with new bullets.

I dont have new bullets thats why I want to do this

onelight
07-23-2020, 02:24 PM
If they are jacketed 45 acp bullets and you pull them with a kinetic bullet puller they will shoot fine and probably would be fine if they are cast .

guy_with_boolits
07-23-2020, 02:34 PM
should I just weigh them? hopefully someone answers this

j/k

all pulled

no pop

I can't tell which are jacketed or plated. Some are brass plated/jacketed. I'll weigh all the bullets but what do I load for besides mass, plated would be safest right?

https://i.postimg.cc/rwTt7Xjv/20200723-112802.jpg

mdi
07-23-2020, 03:37 PM
From what I can see in the pic, the bullets with the exposed lead on the base are jacketed (and the yellow ones appear to be brass jacketed). The totally enclosed bullets with a thin coating are plated. You can probably scrape some of the plating off a plated bullet, but a jacket is thicker and not "scrapable"...

guy_with_boolits
07-23-2020, 03:54 PM
From what I can see in the pic, the bullets with the exposed lead on the base are jacketed (and the yellow ones appear to be brass jacketed). The totally enclosed bullets with a thin coating are plated. You can probably scrape some of the plating off a plated bullet, but a jacket is thicker and not "scrapable"...

okay thanks

I reloaded them all with my plated load for 230gr, 3.9gn of IMR RED

now I have a nice pile of ammo

1hole
07-23-2020, 05:55 PM
The expelled primer is not contained. The pressure is contained in the deprime die. The primer is pressed out and travels through the shell holder and down the groove of the press ram and usually into the tray in front of the press operator. Wear face and eye protection. If the primer pops, the primer becomes a projectile.

How/where the primer cup may go depends on the design of the press. Even if the cup blasts through the shell holder it's travel is curved enough for friction to absorb a lot of it's energy/velocity and then it may hit a catcher pan and reverse direction which will further reduce its speed. The cups are light and after a worst case scenerio the possibility of one doing harm even to an eye is as close to nothing as you can get.

Every one should follow their own desires so people may wear a welding helmet and leather gloves to decap live primers if that makes them feel safe. But, after all, it's only a small, thin dab of primer compound and a thin copper cup at work here, not a stick of dynamite and flying anvils.

Dusty Bannister
07-24-2020, 10:06 AM
Well actually the primer is three components. The cup, the compound and the anvil. The compound grit is pretty obviously not going to be controlled by any part of the press and will blow every where. Beyond that, we are all responsible for our own safety. Most often said, "here hold my beer and watch this". Next most often, "Man, I have done that a thousand times and this has never happened before". This is not directed to those with long experience, but to those that have not had an incident. Good luck be safe.

mdi
07-24-2020, 11:33 AM
And another worthless comment on primer "power"; When I was an early teen (12-13) I found a rifle cartridge. I pulled the bullet out of curiosity to see what was inside. I figgered the primer was like a toy cap gun cap so I took a nail and hammer and popped the primer. Big mistake. The primer went off, traveled up the nail and hit my ring finger. It split the skin, mebbe 3/8" long, and I quickly wrapped my finger in a rag (I guess I was afraid someone may have heard the pop, quite loud, and I'd get in trouble). Later I snuck in the house and put a band-aid on my finger. Nasty wound, small but hurt like hell. Finger was numb for a few days and the wound took a couple weeks to heal...

onelight
07-24-2020, 11:49 AM
And another worthless comment , when I was sixteen loading 45 colt On a board in the floor of the family room with my Lee loader I would occasionally set one off , the only damage done was to my mom , dad and sisters nerves my little brother liked it and would encourage me to do it again .

Burnt Fingers
07-24-2020, 12:41 PM
I keep repeating that weighing did not work and that the weight differences obscured the double charge (if present), so why are people still warning me not to weigh

50% of people are of below average intelligence. Just keep this in mind and many things come into focus.

Alferd Packer
07-25-2020, 08:59 PM
I would pull the bullets
Dump the powder.
Remove decapping pin and resize all the shells to be on safe side. Then reload the cases with fresh powder and pulled bullets.
If the primers in the pickups are duds, no harm done,but you really know what you got in the end.
I never shoot range pickups , not even 22rimfire.

edp2k
07-25-2020, 09:41 PM
I would pull the bullets
Dump the powder.
Remove decapping pin and resize all the shells to be on safe side. Then reload the cases with fresh powder and pulled bullets.
If the primers in the pickups are duds, no harm done,but you really know what you got in the end.
I never shoot range pickups , not even 22rimfire.

This! Spot on.
My only addition would be, I use a sharpie to mark the case head somehow (e.g. make a red cross across the case head and primer)
so that, weeks later when I go to the range with various lots of ammo, I know that somehow these marked rounds are different
than my normal loads that have new, never-pulled bullets.
All that means is, if I'm betting my lunch money on hitting the bulls eye (little friendly range wager), I skip the marked ones.