PDA

View Full Version : Lyman vs Hornady check sizes

imashooter2
12-23-2005, 03:50 PM
I have 40 or 50 pounds of C358-180RF that I cast up from a borrowed mold made on the first GB. Love the boolits and they work great in my 1894C, but I am having a hell of a time getting new Hornady checks started on them. Are older Lyman checks (orange box, 15-20 years old) any larger than new Hornady checks or would I be wasting my money to buy some to try?

omgb
12-23-2005, 05:28 PM
I had the same problem geting 30 cal GC (Hornady) to seat on Lyman 311316 32-20 bullets. I ended up using .32 cal GC instead. In my case, the sizer crimped them on really tight so I figure I lost nothing.

R J Talley

versifier
12-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Hmmmm. Now that you mention it, the new box of Hdy's take more effort to snap on the bases of .30 Soup Cans than the old box of RCBS ones did. I figured it was just that I was playing with different alloys.

9.3X62AL
12-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I've noticed on a few molds--in my case, the Lyman #257420, #311291, and #358156--the shanks are just a little too big to fit the Hornady or some older Lyman checks. I suspect this is a mold dimension problem more than a gzas check dimesnion problem, because other shank/gas check relationships concerning my castings are more amenable. It's just personality quirks, really--and all with Lyman molds. Zero/zip/nada with NEI, MM, RCBS, or SAECO. Hell, the Lee 358156 copycat has a shank the right size for Hornady checks.

My fix is a tapered punch that flares the edges of the check outward enough to allow the oversized shanks to crimp on the checks. A light mallet tap gets 'er done.

imashooter2
12-23-2005, 06:44 PM
My fix is a tapered punch that flares the edges of the check outward enough to allow the oversized shanks to crimp on the checks. A light mallet tap gets 'er done.

That's the only fix I've seen so far, but you have to admit it's pretty tedious. I was hoping for a better fit from the older checks. Guess I'll save my money.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

C1PNR
12-24-2005, 02:10 AM
imashooter2,

Have you tried annealing the gas checks? That might help them fit a bit easier.

imashooter2
12-24-2005, 08:53 AM
imashooter2,

I haven't. Annealing won't change the size of the check. Maybe the softer sides expand over the shank a bit? I have annealed some .30 cal checks in the past when I was having a spring back problem in the sizer die. It's easy enough to do. With nothing to lose, I guess I'll give it a try. Thanks!

NVcurmudgeon
12-24-2005, 05:40 PM
I have solved this kind of problem by annealing the gas checks along with expanding them with a homemade punch.

9.3X62AL
12-25-2005, 03:29 AM
That's the only fix I've seen so far, but you have to admit it's pretty tedious. I was hoping for a better fit from the older checks. Guess I'll save my money.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yeah, it IS tedious--but so is case trimming, and we do that too.

rbwillnj
12-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Interesting, I use newer Hornady gas checks on a 358156 bullet with no problem. They go on with virtually no resistance, and crimp on solidly during sizing. Could be slight differences in the mold dimensions, or differences in the alloys we are using that results in different amounts of shrinkage.

I use a mix of 20% Linotype, and 80% range lead. Makes a very hard bullet, but not as hard as Linotype.

imashooter2
12-25-2005, 04:42 PM
I have about 25-30 pounds made of WQWW +1% tin from lead free solder. The rest are range scrap. Both alloys have the same check shank problem. This is the only gas check .358 mold I've ever used. I have a few .30's and don't have a problem with any of them using Lyman or Hornady checks.

FWIW, the buddy I borrowed the mold from has the same problem. He uses straight ACWW and Hornady checks.

Junior1942
12-25-2005, 05:37 PM
I had the same problem with starting gaschecks on bullets from the same GB mold. The ball on the end of my small bench vise handle fit the gascheck perfectly. I just slid a gascheck under the loose handle, then gave the other end of the handle a little tap, and it spread the gaschecks just the perfect amount.

imashooter2
12-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Swagerman's post in the swappin' and sellin' forum got me thinking... has anyone tried .375 checks on the .358-180RF?

imashooter2
01-15-2006, 10:53 PM
imashooter2,

Been a while, but I just tried some checks annealed with the "loosely capped pipe in the fireplace" method. I cannot believe the difference. They snap right on with minimum effort. [smilie=p: Thanks for the tip!

C1PNR
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
You're welcome! Glad it worked out for you!

lovedogs
02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Some moulds, Saeco for example, throw bullets with a slight taper on the gas check section. I'm guessing to assure a real good bite for the check. This does make checks a little harder to seat but doesn't create any problems that I've noted.