PDA

View Full Version : would cu plating push up the velocity on cast .223 for AR's?

guy_with_boolits
07-21-2020, 02:38 PM
seems like a good mix if it would....if you collect range scrap you get lead + copper, so if you setup a copper plating rig, and it lets you push your cast boolits into the 2500+ range seems like you would get reliable bolt action on an AR even with high twist...

or at least seems like a copper plating setup might be faster/cheaper/easier than a 22LR / cu tube swaging setup for jackets (or maybe thats just a dream)

rancher1913
07-21-2020, 03:25 PM
just get a btsniper die set that will allow you to make 5.56 out of spent 22lr cases, much easier.

megasupermagnum
07-21-2020, 06:35 PM
I've heard of plenty of people getting phenomenal accuracy in that 2500-2800 fps range with a plain old cast bullet. Usually with a barrel made for shooting cast though. When you can buy 55 gr pulled jacketed bullets for $100 per 1000, I have a hard time believing you will ever come out ahead with swaging equipment. I think plated bullets are on their way out. They don't do anything a cast bullet cant do.

onelight
07-21-2020, 07:55 PM
I think plated bullets are on their way out. They don't do anything a cast bullet cant do.

That should be true but not around here. Gun stores that used to carry good selections of commercial cast now carry none . Those shelves are now full of plated. I think people are getting stupidly afraid of exposed lead .
The only people I see shooting cast at the range I go to is the few guys I shoot with and in that group I am the only one that casts . Most people don't even pick up brass.

36Power
07-21-2020, 08:13 PM
...Either that, or plated are on their way back in.

To get to 2500 fps those cast bullets demand lube or GCs or PC or some combination thereof. Have yet to personally see any of those combos get to 3k fps accurately, tho I'm sure some have.

Plated can do something those 'cast' bullets can't do...Cast and THEN plated, they can get to 3k accurately without lube or GCs.

tazman
07-21-2020, 08:55 PM
The big need for plated these days is for use at indoor ranges that will not allow a bullet that has any lead exposed to be fired.
Oddly enough, most of these will allow FMJ to be fired even though the base of the bullet is exposed lead. They also allow 22lr.
Not certain of their thinking in this regard. Since they won't let me shoot my cast, I don't shoot there.

I find it difficult to imagine a cast or plated boolit with enough strength to consistently withstand the forces applied to it when fired at those speeds. I would love to be wrong about this though.

megasupermagnum
07-21-2020, 09:32 PM
That should be true but not around here. Gun stores that used to carry good selections of commercial cast now carry none . Those shelves are now full of plated. I think people are getting stupidly afraid of exposed lead .
The only people I see shooting cast at the range I go to is the few guys I shoot with and in that group I am the only one that casts . Most people don't even pick up brass.

I've been out of the game for buying bullets a while, so I did not realize they were still popular. I'm sure most of us on this board realize plated bullets are still covered in lead, lead dust, the stuff that is actually harmful. Even if a range specifies no exposed lead, whatever that means, couldn't you just powder coat, or buy powder coated bullets? I'm firmly in the traditional lube camp, but I figured powder coated cast bullets would have replaced plated bullets by now. Guess not.

tazman
07-21-2020, 09:48 PM
megasupermagnum-------- The point about coated boolits is well taken. I stopped going to the ranges that refused cast before the coated boolits became popular. I don't know what their opinions on that would be.

Rizzo
07-22-2020, 06:58 PM
I can't remember which site had the info (X-Treme?) but there were FPS limitations on the Plated bullets.
Sorry I don't have any specifics other than I remember reading that.

charlie b
07-22-2020, 10:13 PM
Berry's and Rainier bullets showed a recommended limit of something like 1500fps. Don't know why.

If you want higher velocity, try powder coated bullets. I've had them up to 2500fps without leading (.308 with gas checks). One of these days I will try plain based at higher velocity.

Check with others about effects on gas systems.