PDA

View Full Version : New family member. I could not help myself.

bakerjw
07-20-2020, 11:04 AM
We've all heard it before... "Why do you need another gun?"
I was in Academy the other day advising a friend who is now suddenly interested in home defense look for a handgun. As with most retailers, their on hand stock has taken a beating. On the back wall though, they had a pair of Savage 320 12 gauge defense shotguns. The black one was priced at $189.00.
$218.00 out the door with NICS, tax and everything...
Pretty light for what it is and 3" 15 pellet 00 buckshot kicks like a mule out of it.

BigAlofPa.
07-20-2020, 11:08 AM
I have a Savage 320 it's fun at the range. It has fiber optic sights.

farmbif
07-20-2020, 12:22 PM
gun shops in tazewell had plenty of inventory, mikes, liberty arms and shylocks had lots of options last time I was out that way, might call them about handgun inventory

bakerjw
07-20-2020, 05:44 PM
Which Tazewell?

elmacgyver0
07-20-2020, 06:15 PM
I haven't "needed" another gun for many years, that said I have chosen to buy several (some would say many) since then.
One of the benefits of living in a free country is having what you enjoy.
Of course if the left has their way that will soon change.

farmbif
07-20-2020, 06:44 PM
tazewell or new tazewell TN,
I-81 to exit 8 or 12 I think it is, morristown, Crockett tavern exits, north on 32/25 go to state road 33, mikes is about 1/2 mile on left, liberty and shylocks little bit farther on the right

farmbif
07-20-2020, 06:49 PM
mikes probably still has hundreds of pounds of powder too probably primers, mike is also an excellent gunsmith

Land Owner
07-21-2020, 07:06 AM
If it has a hollow synthetic stock, fill that interstitial space with (say) course sand, playdough, Plumber's Putty, or other dense material of your choosing. The addition of weight in the stock will slow the swing a might for a more controllable lead and instantly reduces felt recoil. Depending on the density of the fill, felt recoil becomes quite comfortable with the stoutest of loads and you will experience no more flinching or avoiding that defensive weapon.

I did something similar to a NEF Pardner 12 gage single shot "Handi-rifle" shotgun when my boys were small and learning lead while shooting ducks. The Handi-rifle pallet wood stock has just over a 1" diameter drilled hollow from butt to receiver bolt. I had a 12" long by 1" diameter stainless steel bolt which I ground round the bolt head and with suitable protection of the receiver nut, stuffed into the hollow. The bolt fit, without vibration, and gave the shotgun "just enough" added weight for less felt recoil and my boys, each in their turn, learned to shoot ducks with it. Safe for us and no more flinching for them. In their time, I gave each boy their own pump shotgun. That Pardner and its bolt is now a Safe Queen. Maybe a grandchild will be its owner someday.

jonp
07-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Try those mini shells in it

bakerjw
07-22-2020, 01:00 PM
I pass through Tazewell every time that I head back to the flatlands.
There are a few here and there in other states.