PDA

View Full Version : Number of Grains per cubic inch?

Caltrop
07-19-2020, 05:29 PM
My math comes to about 379, but I can't help feeling that's a little too heavy.

Anyone have a more educated idea of the closest number for the average grain size?

BigAlofPa.
07-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Say what!!!!!!!!!!!

Neverhome
07-19-2020, 05:35 PM
Not exactly what you’re asking but may give you the data to get where you’re going.

https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/VMD.pdf

What are you trying to accomplish?

scattershot
07-19-2020, 05:37 PM
Grains of what per cubic inch?

MrHarmless
07-19-2020, 05:38 PM
I don't think you're gonna get a perfect answer, since it depends a lot on the size of the grain of powder. Grains are a measure of weight, cubic inches is volume. They're impossible to correlate other than on a powder by powder basis.

Outpost75
07-19-2020, 05:39 PM
Lead is 0.41 pound per cubic inch or 2870 grains.

Water is 0.6 oz. per cubic inch or 262.5 grains

It is easy to measure case capacity in grains of water.

The most dense Ball powders have a bulk density which approaches water, whereas flake or extruded are about 0.8-0.85 the density of water.

Winger Ed.
07-19-2020, 05:42 PM
Take a cubic inch of something and weigh it. Anything else can/will be different.

But its not a direct transfer sort of deal, and there's no standard for it.

Caltrop
07-19-2020, 05:42 PM
Not exactly what you’re asking but may give you the data to get where you’re going.

https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/VMD.pdf

What are you trying to accomplish?

Ok, thanks for that link.

Without calculating true average and estimating an average volume of 0.075 per cubic centimeter, that's 13.3334 grains per, multiplied by 16.3871 to find the quantity within a cubic inch, that's around 218.5... So yea, I was way off. Thank you again.

(I'm doing a boredom induced calculation to find the value of gold versus gunpowder)

Neverhome
07-19-2020, 05:50 PM
Ok, thanks for that link.

Without calculating true average and estimating an average volume of 0.075 per cubic centimeter, that's 13.3334 grains per, multiplied by 16.3871 to find the quantity within a cubic inch, that's around 218.5... So yea, I was way off. Thank you again.

(I'm doing a boredom induced calculation to find the value of gold versus gunpowder)

FUNNY! Nothing wrong with a little mental calisthenics now and then. Enjoy.

M-Tecs
07-19-2020, 05:57 PM

Both gold and gunpowder are sold by weight not volume. Sounds more like you are trying to calculate how much powder will fit in a specific space????

gwpercle
07-19-2020, 06:10 PM
Lets get specific...Grains of what ?
Corn , rice , wheat , barley .... the devil's in the detail's !

Caltrop
07-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Both gold and gunpowder are sold by weight not volume. Sounds more like you are trying to calculate how much powder will fit in a specific space????

To be specific: I'm trying to determine the gold value of gunpowder, based on the volume it occupies within non-standard measurements (horns, kegs, barrels, etc). Based on these measurements, I can then determine the boom factor of each non-standard container filled to the top, and how much each boom will cost in gold. I will also have the groundwork laid to know how many bullets I could make with each non-standard container, should I desire such knowledge.

I said I was mad, I didn't say there was method to it...

farmbif
07-19-2020, 06:54 PM
different powders are different density. I'm no math wiz, engineer or chemist but a 1cc scoop of red dot weight is whole lot different than a 1cc scoop of h110

M-Tecs
07-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Than it would be gold dust or nuggets to fill those shapes. Solid, dust or nuggets will weigh different for the same volume.

dangitgriff
07-19-2020, 07:12 PM
Weight-for-weight, gunpowder runs from $1-$2 per 480 grains/Troy ounce ($16-$32 per pound), depending of course on the manufacturer/type of powder.
Gold is around $1,800 per 480 grains/Troy ounce. That equates to $3.75 per grain.
If you’re playing around with the idea of stuffing cases with gold dust to hide it (?), every 10 grains equivalent gold will run $37.50, more than a pound of powder would retail for on average.
Gold melts at 1947.5 degrees Fahrenheit, so casting gold boolits is practically impractical.
R/Griff

rockshooter
07-20-2020, 01:01 AM
so do you want your body's weight in gold, or its volume?:idea:

loren

Stephen Cohen
07-20-2020, 01:44 AM
In these times I would be careful asking how much powder I could fit in a cubic inch, put this way I think you get the idea. Regards Stephen

Caltrop
07-20-2020, 07:43 AM
Since ive just put 10 hours of work into making it, here. This spreadsheet tells you the exact mass/volume/grain of a portion of gunpowder based on its VMD.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_5gHe0OHDCPuy0wt0eS8qDzfOwCRfz60UEv_2VOVlEY/edit?usp=sharing

To use, simply make a copy of the document, type your VMD into the indicated green box on the far right, and look under the desired measurement (along the top) to see how much mass/volume/grain the portion has. I might add a section for metric system conversions later, but i only cared about weight in pounds for the non-standard measurements (keg, barrel, etc) for now.

If anyone spots any errors in my standard conversion units (red, orange) or my equations (blue, purple) let me know, and i will fix.

RU shooter
07-20-2020, 07:52 AM
Reading about math equations this early on a Monday makes my head hurt :veryconfu

redhawk0
07-20-2020, 08:53 AM
so do you want your body's weight in gold, or its volume?:idea:

loren

Either will do for me....you offering? :smile:

redhawk

07-20-2020, 09:52 AM
You will have to get the VMD from Lee’s web sight, and input the formula from the bottom left corner into column D. If you want, you can add a column for the case capacity in Cubic Centimeters. I usually get a rough estimate for the case capacity with the bullet seated at a depth that I prefer. I use Google Sheets for this, it is free, web based, and available as an app. You could add a Cubic Inch from CC conversion.

Caltrop
07-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Reading about math equations this early on a Monday makes my head hurt :veryconfu

How do you think i feel.... i think i have a migraine going.

bedbugbilly
07-20-2020, 11:01 AM
Well let's see . . . a bushel of oats is generally accepted as being 32 pounds . . .

So 32 pounds would equal 224,000 grains in weight (at 7,000 grain weight per pound)

So depending on the particular oats, breaking it down into the mathematical equation of how much wood could a woodchuck chuck times the exact time of day, divided by .6998 and then multiplied by how many times a rooster crows exactly at 5 a.m. on the fourth of July at the altitude of exactly 2,500 feet in elevation above sea level on a foggy morning would equal . . . . . wait a minute, I've got to take my shoes off as I've run out of fingers to count on . . . . oh heck . . . . maybe it would just be easier to count how many grains of oats there are in a bushel . . . write it on the wall so you don't forget and then figure out how many square inches there are in a bushel and divide the total by that - that should be the correct answer . . . I think?

Stephen Cohen seems to have a much, much better formula than mine . . . I was never good in "story problems" in math in elementary school so I will bow to his higher math skills . . it appears to be a much better answer . . . . :-)

JSnover
07-25-2020, 08:31 AM
The post-apocalypse price per grain will change...

varmintpopper
07-25-2020, 05:38 PM
troy
/troi/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: troy weight
a system of weights used mainly for precious metals and gems, with a pound of 12 ounces or 5,760 grains.

Good Shooting

Lindy

shaune509
07-29-2020, 05:52 PM
grain wt in a cubic inch is dependent on the density of the substance in consideration.
Fluid wt is a factor of volume and as such a gallon [231cu"] is rounded to 8lbs. that is why you will often see 'net wt' on a case of liquid product so the shipper gets paid for true load carried.
Shaune509

Mal Paso
07-29-2020, 10:46 PM
You're asking how many pounds there are in an inch.

LOL It's ounces per inch not pounds.

gwpercle
07-30-2020, 02:20 PM
Pie Are Square ?

Not in my momma's kitchen ... Pie are Round , Cobbler are Square !