PDA

View Full Version : Starline cases

northmn
12-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Currently everyone seems to be out of the WW cases that I like for my 45-70. I was wondering about the Starline as they seem to be a little less costly and are available. ??? Is their capacity similar to WW? Experiences and general quality? I just traded for a Pedersoli RB and am getting back into shooting BPC.

Northmn

cajun shooter
12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I've been using Starline cases for years in several different sizes both rifle and revolver. They are top of the heap. Several magazines have written stories on Starline. Go to the web site and set up a account by placing your order. The prices are good and cut out the middle man profit. They ship fast by Fed -X . You will not be sorry. The Starline case is stronger and therefore will hold a mite less by volume.

Don McDowell
12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
The Starline cases I've used don't impress me much. The hardness seems to vary from one case to the other, so you almost need to anneal them all to get them uniform. I've not been able to get the accuracy from Starline I get with Winchester and Remington.
The only time I buy Starline is when I need some of the "obsolete" cases that they make, ie 50-70,45-90, and 40-65.

August
12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
The W-W cases have always given me more consistent results. Starline brass in the 2.1-45 is hard and thick, making it difficult for me to achieve a proper crimp for long range work.

I do use starline in my hunting gunz, but only to save wear and tear on my W-W brass.

There are some W-W around. Expensive, but available.

longhorn
12-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I use Starline in my Sharps, W-W in my Browning. Capacities seem real close, but I will admit to not having measured. The Starline will need annealing; IMHO, annealing on a regular basis is a good idea for all BPCR brass.

August
12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, North, your post cost me $68 dollars.

I was thinking when I first read your post that W-W brass was readily available. But, you were right, Sir!!!! Midway has none.

So, I saddled up and went over the the Sportsman's Warehouse and among the, otherwise empty, shelves were three packages of W-W brass. I bought two of them at 33.99 a piece. Ouch, ouch, and ouch!!!!

Already blew my shootin' budget for next month and now you got me started on January.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize things were this dire!!!!!!

I agree that annealing is important for the W-W brass too. Especially at these prices. The stuff has to last forever.

chuebner
12-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I segregate my 45-70 brass per rifle. W-W for the trapdoor, R-P for the rolling block and Starline for the Pedersoli Sharps. All cases are annealed every 5th. reload. Lyman black powder neck size and taper crimp dies are used along with the Lee expanding die sold by Pat Wolf. I get a pretty good lifetime out of my brass.

charlie

northmn
12-02-2008, 07:37 AM
I have a few WW cases on hand but wanted some new ones to go with the rifle. Even though lot sizes vary it is easier to stay with one brand for me. Do a lot of annealing.

Northmn