PDA

View Full Version : Lee case trimmer case holder mods

Handloader
07-18-2020, 02:29 AM
Does anyone make a holder larger than the factory that won't kill your hands ?

Willing to buy one if anyone can make something. I got a design idea if it helps

sparkyv
07-18-2020, 08:31 AM
I drill out and glue golf balls, but they're actually smaller than the Lee ball grip. What about drilling out billiard balls?

Neverhome
07-18-2020, 08:58 AM
Which part of it bothers you?
I know the cutter end has the ball available as mentioned. That helps on that end.
The other end, the case holder end, just needs to be held stationary if you’re spinning the ball end. Although I have on occasion held the ball end and chucked the case holder end in a drill. It has a hex head too so a 1/4 inch nut driver should fit as well. At least that would fit mine. I just measured it and mine is 0.249 so a 1/4 inch nut driver should fit

Neverhome
07-18-2020, 09:17 AM
I bet you could make a ball end for the case holder end by drilling out a ball like sparky mentioned but drill it out to fit a 1/4 inch socket. Then epoxy the socket into the hole you drilled. I don’t know...just thinking out loud.

EDG
07-18-2020, 09:30 AM
At one time there was a case holder stud with a hexagon extension for a drill chuck. I gave mine to my brother and made another one. i drilled and reamed the stud for a 3/16" dowel pin. it is real easy to chuck and spin with a drill motor.

Three44s
07-18-2020, 09:59 AM
Put the hex end in a vise and spin the other end in a hand held drill.

Three44s

onelight
07-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Put the hex end in a vise and spin the other end in a hand held drill.

Three44s
Why do we overlook the obvious simple solution :p I like it.

tunnug
07-18-2020, 12:45 PM
Went to my local woodworking supply store and picked up a wood ball that wasn't too big for my hand, drilled it and epoxied it in place, they carry different sizes, sprayed it with urethane and it's lasted for many years.

mf79
07-19-2020, 11:18 AM
I have one that is about 3 inch piece of 1.5 diameter round wood and hole is in side and the cutter is glued in it so you do not have to grip it very tight to hold on.

mdi
07-19-2020, 11:24 AM
I don't think the ball would bother anyone, but it's probably the tightening of the case in the holder, the knurled nut, that's the problem. I haven't heard of a OEM replacement and I just put on a light leather glove if I have a lot of brass to trim...

Three44s
07-19-2020, 09:33 PM
As I get older, I like smaller cartridges .... less recoil, less noise.

But my hands and wrists catch heck as in .223 with numbers of casings along with the smaller circumference to grip.

I can stand about just so much and then I have my remedies, then my mitts hurt again!

This getting old ain’t for sissies!

I also have a pair of the Zip Trim units. Like them.

Three44s