PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Winchester Miitary Carbine

KCSO
07-17-2020, 03:45 PM
I traded into a newer Winchester 1895 30-40 Krag Carbine and have gotten out to do a little shooting with it and it IS a shooter. I cobbled together a receiver sight by milling down a new base for a Williams peep for the 30-30 and once I could SEE the sights I have gotten a 2 1/2" 100 yard group with my hunting bullet. I am shooting a Mountain Moulds 220 grain rnfp bullet sized 311 over a charge of RX7 and running right at 1900 fps velocity, the same load I shoot in my Krags. This load has killed a number of deer so far and I have yet to recover a bullet or had to use a second shot.

The new Winchester had the goofy tang safety that has been replaced with a brass name plate and so far surprisingly the rebounding hammer has set off all the shots and I may not need to rework that.

I think I have found this years deer gun.

I just wish I could afford the Lyman 21 Peep for the rear as the current sight has very little windage adjustment.

Outpost75
07-17-2020, 09:34 PM
Please, pictures!

Texas by God
07-17-2020, 09:42 PM
Please, pictures!What he said ^^^ including custom peep sight and boolits/ammo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Baltimoreed
07-17-2020, 10:50 PM
I’ve got a .30-06 ‘95 carbine in my safe that will get put into a full stock to resemble an NRA Carbine when I get some of my other gun jobs done. Mine is a Browning that has no tang safety or tang logo. But I want to see yours. You know it didn’t happen without pictures.

cwtebay
07-17-2020, 11:02 PM
I have quite a few of the original Climbin' Lymans on rifles, but can't say enough good about the reproductions from Providence Tool. I have put them on miruko and browning 1895's and been very satisfied. The price point is $160+/- and well worth it. Compare that price to ANY open or telescopic sight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk