PDA

View Full Version : New barrel breakin

beshears
07-16-2020, 04:46 PM
I am finishing a 45-2.6 highwall. How many rounds should I put downrange before I start trying to find the most accurate load. Or is any breakin required? Looks like 80 grains of Old E 1.5 with no compression as a starting place. 530 gr bullet.

bigted
07-16-2020, 10:27 PM
Well now ... a few ways and everybody has their black magic solution to do this.

Mine boils down to two ways;

1- paperpatched bore size 350 to 405 ish boolits and run them at 1100 to 1300 FPS. Run a couple hundred thru your new barrel for a first class barrel breakin. This produces a mirror finish on the inside of your barrel and makes cleanup a snap.

2- Also a great breakin but less traditional.
Buy two box's of 20 or load 40 rounds of cheap jacketed bullets. The first 10 fired should be thoroughly cleaned with a good copper removing solution ... shoot 1 then brush with a brass brush 20 times back n forth followed by a few clean dry patch's to remove the solution ... these through from breech to muzzle only. All ten shot one at a time with the cleaning regimen. After the ten ... shoot 2 shells at a time for the rest of your jacketed loads with the thoroughly cleaning procedure described after the singles ... so shoot 2 and clean, shoot 2 and clean, shoot 2 and clean ... till the remainder of your 30 left loads are consumed.

These two regimen produce a nice smooth bore that has ironed the "hair" of the machining down without trapping foreign material under the "laid down and ironed hair" of the remaining machining of most barrels.

Others will chime in I am sure. Many path's to the end product.