PDA

View Full Version : Another Small Ring Mauser Mishap

jsn
07-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Wrong powder used on an established load.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/9891034062

Larry Gibson
07-16-2020, 03:03 PM
The usual criticism of Mauser SR actions but in reality any action would have come apart with the massive overload of 4198 instead of the normal load of 4350 that was intended. We really can't blame the action for that......

TNsailorman
07-16-2020, 03:55 PM
I have to agree with you Larry. A large ring mauser probably would not have held that OOPS! I saw a rifle many years ago that had a 8x57mm cartridge fired in a 30-06 98 action. Not pretty to look at. Parker proved many years ago that any action will blow when enough pressure is put on it. james

Gtek
07-16-2020, 10:38 PM
That is one of the reasons I bench up as far left as possible, the shrapnel and easy visual of the who knows what!

Markopolo
07-16-2020, 10:57 PM
wow.... I keep my powder in a completely different area.. personal rule, only one powder on the active bench at a time.... no exceptions.. but stuff happens..

swheeler
07-17-2020, 12:29 AM
Seriously overloaded ammo. I keep only the powder I'm loading on the bench, the powder magazine is 10 or so feet away on the other side of the room. In 56 years of loading ammo I have never blow anything up, smoked a couple primers is about the worst. They blocked out facebook with a marker but it is ###### Lloyd, poor fellow glad he's OK.

roverboy
07-17-2020, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I think that would've killed a Large ring too.

KCSO
07-17-2020, 03:55 PM
The 93/95 action is perfectly safe within its pressure limits. About like the old Krag rifle you just don't want to push the limits and there is no helping when you mess up and use the wrong powder. A hard lesson to learn about PAY Attention!

I made flags for my measures and each time the measure is filled with a powder the appropriate tag is flying t=from the top of the measure...12.5 Red Dot or 10.0 Unique and such and the powder is emptied at the end of each session and put away, one powder on the bench at a time.

I would really like to know just how much pressure that load produced but am unwilling to blow up a gun to find out.

john.k
07-17-2020, 04:22 PM
I had a lesser,but similar incident many years ago.....primers in a 30/06 came out flat,pockets oval and 1/4" across.....I was a teen ,and had no reload gear ,a schoolfriend did the reload........Funny thing was ,about a year later he dropped out ,went completely off the rails,dead at 24,and Im inclined to think now he may have been a psycho.

303Guy
07-24-2020, 06:18 AM
The 93/95 action is perfectly safe within its pressure limits. About like the old Krag rifle you just don't want to push the limits and there is no helping when you mess up and use the wrong powder. A hard lesson to learn about PAY Attention!

I made flags for my measures and each time the measure is filled with a powder the appropriate tag is flying t=from the top of the measure...12.5 Red Dot or 10.0 Unique and such and the powder is emptied at the end of each session and put away, one powder on the bench at a time.

I would really like to know just how much pressure that load produced but am unwilling to blow up a gun to find out.
I think I will follow your example. Especially now that I have two identical looking powders. I didn't use the second one before because of that. I did practice the one powder on the bench at a time principle but the flag idea adds braces to the belt.

Pressman
07-24-2020, 06:12 PM
I did practice the one powder on the bench at a time principle but the flag idea adds braces to the belt.

In real English, this means adding suspenders in addition to the belt:arrow:

dverna
07-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Neither stupid, ignorant or careless people should reload.

I would never shoot a reload from most of the people I know. That likely says a lot about me...LOL There are only three guys I know who I would trust.

swheeler
07-24-2020, 08:51 PM
Neither stupid, ignorant or careless people should reload.

I would never shoot a reload from most of the people I know. That likely says a lot about me...LOL There are only three guys I know who I would trust.

Only one for me. I mean if I watched him load them!:bigsmyl2:

nelsonted1
07-24-2020, 08:57 PM
I was at my first high power match when a m1a went BOOM! And the the barrel flew.out of stock and landed next to the spotter. The shooter held the stock vertically for the longest.time with the forearm split open in a Y. The shooter.bled some but no permanent damage. Turned out he lit off the round with aa5 instead of 4895

303Guy
07-25-2020, 02:12 AM
What's even more scary is the second story where the bolts of two rifles locked up and the guy who loaded the ammo went into denial and off to the range to "show them there was nothing wrong with his loads" and an hour later the report came back that he had lost two fingers and and eye! His rifle didn't just lock up - it blew up.

Baltimoreed
07-26-2020, 06:17 PM
I was 5 ft behind a cas shooter spotting him who blew up his nice second generation Colt single action. Only his wallet was hurt. Thinking it was a gross overload of the right powder. And he was NOT a newbe. I tend to stick to midrange loads in all my reloads. Easier on the equipment and my shoulder/hand. Double check behind yourself when you change components or equipment. You can never be too safe.

john.k
07-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Some guys try hard...when the range was open ,a guy beside me was having a lot of bother with sticky extraction......after a bit of cursing ,he asked for my rod .....I said its no good ,you ve got a 22/250 ,my rod is 30 ,....he went off muttering to buy a rod from the range shop.....still no good ,so he packed up and left.....I had a look at his emptys .....every one had a cratered primer,about half had a spotty line of a partial head separation....and one base of the parted case stuck in the chamber.

303Guy
07-29-2020, 05:13 PM
And he carried on shooting after the first one?!!! :confused:

I was shooting with a buddy once. He was having trouble. Some rounds were mild and some pretty stout. He just carried on shooting. A few weeks later he told me the rifle jammed up. Lug recess peening. He gave me some left over ammo which I pulled. They had clumped powder in them so some were getting part charges and others the remainder of those part charges plus a full charge. I don't know who loaded his ammo - it wasn't him. He got the gun from a gun shop.

Uncle Grinch
07-29-2020, 05:39 PM
Neither stupid, ignorant or careless people should reload. ........

That applies to gun ownership too!

Shiloh
07-29-2020, 05:50 PM
A fine rile is no more. Bummer, but thanks for the pics

Shiloh

lrdg
07-31-2020, 03:23 PM
I have got to ask. When I was a new shooter, over half a century ago. the terms Large Ring Mauser and Small Ring Mauser both referred to 98s. A small ring was like my first rifle, a 1916 Erfurt. I don't remember pre-98s referred to as such.

Has the terminology evolved or am I misremembering?

Freischütz
07-31-2020, 04:00 PM
M98a (or 98AZ depending on which terminology you prefer) are small ring.

lrdg
07-31-2020, 06:29 PM
M98a (or 98AZ depending on which terminology you prefer) are small ring.

That's pretty much what I believed. Thanks!