PDA

View Full Version : Herters #5

kokomokid
07-16-2020, 10:47 AM
I just bought a Herters #5 and have not received it yet. I would like to know if you leave it set up or take the beam off when not in use? Anything else I need to know about this scale?

mdi
07-16-2020, 11:37 AM
I normally repack the scale in the original box and put it away. But not long ago I built a small table that brings the scale up closer to eye level. So I have been inverting a plastic shoe box over the scale to protect it from dust and safe from falling objects ([smilie=1:). If I'm not going to do any reloading for a while or if I'm switching scales, I'll return the scale to it's original box...

In other words, I don't leave the scale out even without the beam in place...

Pressman
07-16-2020, 03:57 PM
You cannot take the beam off a #5. It rides on a very fine wire that threads through the pivots and is held under considerable tension. Should the wire break, dental wire is the closest replacement.

There should be a protective metal cover that you can place over the wire when in not in use. The original box is made of styrofoam and great to have, if not keep, it clean and free of dust but do not cover it with anything that keeps pressure on the beam.

I do have the instruction sheet for this scale. See email below.

Ken