PDA

View Full Version : BLL and Triple 7

zymguy
07-16-2020, 03:16 AM
I知 getting closer to shooting a couple of 1-20 twist 45 cal muzzle loaders . Because I powder coat everything I missed a lot of bullet lube information. I have Alox and floor polish to make BLL . I知 willing to buy lube or ingredients to make something else if I need to. Is there any sort of consensus on what to use with 777 ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Peabody
07-16-2020, 07:58 PM
BLL works fine in my muzzle loaders with black powder. Use a THIN coat

megasupermagnum
07-16-2020, 10:13 PM
I've tried all kinds of things over time. I'm currently on a mink oil kick. I have yet to find anything that definitively is better than straight Crisco. Mink oil is very similar, and I trust it more as an all around gun metal rust protectant. Crisco turns waxy over time, but it sure makes a heck of a bullet or patch lube. Hopefully I'm only a couple months away from trying bear grease. It seems to me that the more complicated you make a muzzleloader lube, the worse off you are.

Geezer in NH
07-17-2020, 01:33 PM
SPG, bees wax and Olive oil will work better than BLL as they don't contain petroleum products. even though 777 is a substitute black powder it should stay away from petroleum products.

zymguy
07-21-2020, 10:42 PM
SPG, bees wax and Olive oil will work better than BLL as they don't contain petroleum products. even though 777 is a substitute black powder it should stay away from petroleum products.

I知 sure I知 going to palm my forehead with the obviousness but , what is SPG ?

Geezer in NH
07-22-2020, 07:09 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1503542859/

Most all big vendors sell it

zymguy
07-22-2020, 10:14 PM

Do you mix all three? Or is it either spg OR bees wax and olive oil?
What are the ratios ?
Thanks

centershot
07-23-2020, 10:04 AM
Do you mix all three? Or is it either spg OR bees wax and olive oil?
What are the ratios ?
Thanks

No, don't mix them together. Use one or the other, individually. As for a beeswax and olive oil mix, I use 1 part wax to 3 parts oil. Here in western NY that mix works good for me yea round. It makes a soft paste at room temperature that stays soft during December's muzzle loader season. In the heat of July it is really soft but still very effective. I use it on conicals and as patch lube although I don't shoot many conicals these days. Works good for both. MSM is correct, straight Crisco is a great lube! Only reason I mix BW & OO is because I use it to keep my skin from drying out in the cold dry air of winter.