PDA

View Full Version : Kind of cool for Marlin fans

beezapilot
07-15-2020, 06:54 PM
I've been picking up old tool boxes for restoration and use in the shop lately- you find some pretty cool things in them sometimes. Any guesses on the date?264893

Outpost75
07-16-2020, 05:28 PM
WW2 period. Marlin also made a brass safety razor for the troops. Unpacking Dad's footlocker after he passed I found those and a GI green pack of Lucky Strikes.

beagle
07-21-2020, 12:15 PM
Interesting find. I went to school at Aberdeen Proving Ground in 1966. Later I was reassigned there and they were tearing down the barracks where I stayed so one Sunday afternoon, I walked through for old time remembrances. They'd removed all the plumbing, light fixtures, etc. In the head. there were shaving mirrors and below each a slot for used razor blades. They fell into a cavity between two 2 X 4s and almost every one had used razor blades about 4 feet deep in them. Some of them mine. I wondered about the stories the owners of these discarded blades could tell. Some dating back to WW2 or before.
Later, we hunted rabbits in the area and I recall that we jumped about 4 from inside the old Orderly Room foundation now covered with honey suckle vines. I got word that they were burning down the old mess hall and went over to watch that. Glad to see it go as I spent many agonizing hours on KP in that building. Went quick. All the old pine really went up and it was sitting on concrete stilts about 3 feet high.
Just a walk down memory lane.
The green Luckies were in C-rats up until the late 50s. Then they went to the 4 paks. Korean war stock I imagine./beagle

slim1836
07-21-2020, 01:29 PM
Interesting find. I went to school at Aberdeen Proving Ground in 1966. Later I was reassigned there and they were tearing down the barracks where I stayed so one Sunday afternoon, I walked through for old time remembrances. They'd removed all the plumbing, light fixtures, etc. In the head. there were shaving mirrors and below each a slot for used razor blades. They fell into a cavity between two 2 X 4s and almost every one had used razor blades about 4 feet deep in them. Some of them mine. I wondered about the stories the owners of these discarded blades could tell. Some dating back to WW2 or before.
Later, we hunted rabbits in the area and I recall that we jumped about 4 from inside the old Orderly Room foundation now covered with honey suckle vines. I got word that they were burning down the old mess hall and went over to watch that. Glad to see it go as I spent many agonizing hours on KP in that building. Went quick. All the old pine really went up and it was sitting on concrete stilts about 3 feet high.
Just a walk down memory lane.I was born there
The green Luckies were in C-rats up until the late 50s. Then they went to the 4 paks. Korean war stock I imagine./beagle

I was born there in 53.

Slim

panhed65
07-23-2020, 06:54 PM
I picked up a bunch of them years ago at a flea market. had to give some away when I showed them to friends. the remaining ones are in one of my reloading cabinets.
Barry