PDA

View Full Version : Shiny Lead

Traffer
07-15-2020, 01:27 PM
Hey...
Does anyone know how to make lead shiny. Like a fresh cut or like how boolits come out of a mold? I swaged up a bunch of boolits to powdercoat then reswage. Would like to use Smokes Clear on them. But tumbled them for a few minutes to get burrs off and round them off a little and now they are very dull. Is there an easy way to get them shiny?

Tatume
07-15-2020, 02:06 PM
When I cast bullets I return all shiny bullets to the pot. If they are not frosted I won't keep them.

Nueces
07-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Higher tin content tends to make shinier bullets. Linotype really glitters, but may be too hard for your use.

Neverhome
07-15-2020, 02:18 PM
I assume you’re swaging with pure lead? Pure looks pretty yucky in short order I guess.
Even casting, my low sweetened bullets get ugly after a bit.
Higher percentages of the good stuff keep them pretty longer. I’m guessing that might defeat the purpose of swaging though. I don’t really know the process.

If you’re stuck with using pure lead I wonder if some chemical method could remove the oxidation or whatever it is that makes them ugly with time.

JSB pellets are virtually or 100% pure swaged lead and they stay pretty for a really long time. I wonder what they’re coated with.

bangerjim
07-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Get some 1000 grit diamond polish and some elbow grease and go at it!

I prefer my frosty so the PC sticks better!

banger

barnabus
07-15-2020, 05:49 PM
Get some 1000 grit diamond polish and some elbow grease and go at it!

I prefer my frosty so the PC sticks better!

banger

this is what I do also

mac1911
07-18-2020, 08:40 AM
is there a "chrome" powder coat ?