PDA

View Full Version : Dillion 550: leaving powder in the powder measure?

Firephoto798
07-14-2020, 02:56 PM
I recently started using a Dillon 550C and was wonder what you, that are experienced with a 550, do with the powder in the powder measure when you finish a reloading session? Do you empty the powder measure after each session or do you leave the powder in, put an id tag on it and leave it until the next session?

Jim

wvmanchu
07-14-2020, 03:10 PM
I recently purchased a used 550 and had the same question. No easy way to drain the powder measure.

mf79
07-14-2020, 03:18 PM
I empty it, remove from press and pour into bottle it came from using a funnel, also I move charge bar in and out to remove any powder from in there. not worth risk of forgetting and wrong powder charge in something else later.

onelight
07-14-2020, 03:26 PM
Can't you take off the rod that goes to the PM pull the pins and slide out the tool head to empty the measure.
Looks to be pretty quick .

Budzilla 19
07-14-2020, 04:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^ this!!!! Pull the pins, and rod, then empty powder measure back into the powder jug, done!

rbt5050
07-14-2020, 05:24 PM
i leave it in, i use the same powder most of the time. i would still label it just to make sure you don't forget what it is.

gnostic
07-14-2020, 05:31 PM
You can leave the powder in the measure. It'll turn the plastic yellow, but doesn't hurt anything that I can see. Once I get everything dialed in, why mess with it?

Walter Laich
07-14-2020, 05:33 PM
I always return to original bottle

did get a quick release so just pull the pin on the return wire, pull out the quick release and pour. Less than 30 seconds.

upr45
07-14-2020, 06:05 PM
Empty it promptly to original container, primarily to minimize chance of putting in wrong container. As has been stated, it only takes a few seconds to completely drain measure.

jmorris
07-14-2020, 07:08 PM
Yep, the two pins and failsafe rod are a pretty quick way to empty it.

I have some that always have powder in them though. Most powders will alter the color of the plastic tube turning it yellow or brown. Vitavouri powders being a notable exception, they remain clear.

Burnt Fingers
07-14-2020, 07:23 PM
The quick release for the Dillon powder measures is one of those things I have to have. No need to pull the tool head.

Firephoto798
07-14-2020, 09:01 PM
Thank you to everyone for the quick responses. Very helpful.

Jim

Walks
07-14-2020, 10:07 PM
Titegroup will turn the hopper yellow overnight and deform it in another 2-3 days.

I have never left powder in a powder measure unless I've just going in for a coffee refill or exfill.

Pete44mag
07-14-2020, 10:18 PM
I always empty my hopper even if I'm reloading the next day. In the 550 it only takes a minute or so and is recommended by Dillion and also the powder manufacturers.

dverna
07-14-2020, 10:19 PM
Empty after every session. It takes a couple of minutes and a good habit to get into.

Also, only have one powder on the bench at a time....I nearly made a very serious mistake once.

Dave W.
07-14-2020, 10:21 PM
I always empty the power measure in the original container. Then I write on a index card what power, charge weight and bullet style that was just loaded, this way it is easy to know where to start from the next time it gets used.

ioon44
07-15-2020, 07:26 AM
I almost never empty my 550 powder unless changing to a different powder, also only keep on powder on my bench so I know which powder is being used. I never have had a powder measure turn yellow, I am currently using 700-x and Sport Pistol.

Baltimoreed
07-15-2020, 08:25 AM
I also never mty my 550 hopper as it’s dedicated to .45/.45auto rim. But the quick release powder measure units are great and I have them on my measures that I use for my Lyman turret presses. Change dies--swap measures, no time wasted recalibrating the measure.

farmbif
07-15-2020, 09:19 AM
my mentor taught me to always put all powder and primers back in original container before getting up from the bench. you never know what can happen after you walk out of reloading room. for example what if this happens.
gramma called, gramps needs your help, your gone for weeks, return to reloading bench, you know what's what, everything is where it belongs and components in original packages.
if you have some h110 mixed up with some blc2, when you pull the trigger it probably aint gonna be pretty.

gwpercle
07-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Empty the measure , pour the powder back into the original container . Only keep one powder out on the bench when in use . It's amazing how easy it is to forget what's in the measure .
You forget or worse yet you remember incorrectly what's in that measure ... you get to spend time with a bullet puller taking apart loaded rounds ... trust me ...it happens .

One powder on the bench , empty measure back into container , don't leave powder in measure it reacts with any and all plastics .

Better Safe then Sorry ...don't get lackadaisical about powder...it will come back to haunt you !

Gary

BigAlofPa.
07-15-2020, 10:20 AM
I let dot powders in the hopper sometimes. It's handy they have color dots.

Burnt Fingers
07-15-2020, 11:45 AM
I rarely empty my Dillon powder measures, usually only when I'm switching powders.

I use masking tape to identify the powder in the measure. Use a black marker to write the powder name on the tape, stick tape to measure.

Kevin Rohrer
07-16-2020, 10:08 AM
I used to empty the powder measure after reloading. But now that I am shooting .45ACP so much (200+ rounds a week), I leave the measure filled with Unique as I try reloading at least 100-rounds each day.

onelight
07-16-2020, 10:17 AM
I also empty the PM after every session , and blow off and lube the press so it is ready for the next session.
It only takes a minute or two.

David2011
07-21-2020, 05:56 PM
I usually empty the measure. As a safety backup I have printed 2” wide paper strips that I rubber band to the outside of the measure for all of the powders I’m likely to use. The paper completely surrounds the measure So the rubber band doesn’t contact the measure. They will melt into the plastic.

Barr
08-02-2020, 11:53 AM
Storing powder in a hopper for a day or two is ok. Long term storage will etch plastic and may cause fine flake or ball powder to clump. Then you may get inconsistent metering and may not detect. This has been my experience.

Long term powder storage should be in original canister in a vented cabinet (old file cabinets or cheap gun cabinets work) to prevent pressure buildup w limited insulating properties and containment in the event of a fire.

44magLeo
08-11-2020, 10:25 PM
powders are hydroscopic. This means they absorb moisture out of the air. When in the hopper the lid is seldom air tight. This can allow moisture to enter the hopper and the powder will absorb this moisture if left in the hopper.
This can cause several issues. Moist powder weighs more than dry powder. This can effect charge weight.
Moist powder as mentioned clumps. This can cause Bridging of the drop tube and that's never a good thing.
When done with a loading session putting the powder back in the original bottle help prevent this moisture absorbsion. The lids fit tight.
As far as primer go I only get as many as I need for the session out of the package. This way I don't have to put them back in the package.
Leo

08-12-2020, 09:04 AM
When I used the Fail Safe Rod, I could always slide it through a slot on the platform arm to free it. Then just pull the tool head and dump the powder while holding the rod and tool head together.

I confess: I have dumped a hopper full of Varget into a partially full 8 pound jug of H414. I empty it every time now.

GunnarTS
08-12-2020, 07:28 PM
Is it really true that Titegroup will quickly discolor the powder tube and in 2 to 3 days actually cause it to deform? I ask because I was about to buy some of that powder for my loads>

gnappi
08-13-2020, 10:29 AM
I label the PM and leave the powder in it.

Burnt Fingers
08-13-2020, 11:46 AM
Is it really true that Titegroup will quickly discolor the powder tube and in 2 to 3 days actually cause it to deform? I ask because I was about to buy some of that powder for my loads>

It will with the Hornady tube.

Personally I don't use Titeboom. I'm leery of it's narrow load range. It will also soften some PC coatings.