PDA

View Full Version : Non metal reactive targets?

PNW_Steve
07-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Hey Everyone,

As usual, my timing is stellar. I was about to hit the "order" button on a selection of steel targets to carry out to the range with me when I got an email from the gun club telling me that use of steel targets is restricted due to fire danger.

Has anyone found non-metallic reactive targets that will stand up to 9mm pistol at 25' and .223 at 100+ yards?

I have tinkered with the "self healing" rimfire targets and they are ok but definitely not up to center fire.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

S.

Neverhome
07-14-2020, 01:36 PM
I don't have anything useful to say but does a copper jacketed bullet spark? I wouldn't think so but I don't know. Steel jackets certainly might spark!
Probably easier to outlaw the steel targets than to check everyone's ammo, I guess.

07-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Never used any, but, places like Wal-Mart sell rubber targets that you shoot right through. Might solve your problem.

mazo kid
07-14-2020, 03:01 PM
Reactive, yes. Reusable, no. Shotgun clay birds, about as inexpensive as you can get.

Winger Ed.
07-14-2020, 03:28 PM
We used to take out and shoot those rubber dog toys when the dogs quit playing with them.

If ya want something cheap to bounce around when ya hit it-- use blocks of scrap wood.
And,,,, they're bio-degradable.

BigAlofPa.
07-14-2020, 04:20 PM
I walk out on the shotgun range . And gather unbroken clays. Then shoot at them.

PNW_Steve
07-14-2020, 05:57 PM
Reactive, yes. Reusable, no. Shotgun clay birds, about as inexpensive as you can get.

I tried that. It was a pain to clean up and still required me to go downrange periodically to set up more.

I have trouble seeing a lead, or copper jacketed lead, making a spark that could start a fire but that is the rule.

The advantage for me using steel or some facsimile is that I can set them up in the morning and shoot all day without having to call a cease fire.

PNW_Steve
07-14-2020, 06:01 PM
Never used any, but, places like Wal-Mart sell rubber targets that you shoot right through. Might solve your problem.

I tried one and as far as "reactive" goes it was great..... For one shot :) I was expecting failure and my expectations were met in a fairly spectacular manner :) One shot with .223 and it was done.

Bazoo
07-14-2020, 06:54 PM
What about those rubber balls you shoot at and they jump all over. Hanging them keeps them from going all over. My experience is a 45 acp doesn't destroy them, though I don't know the brand it was. It was at a friends.

Burnt Fingers
07-14-2020, 07:27 PM
https://www.newboldtargets.com/index.php?route=common/home

These work quite well.

Conditor22
07-14-2020, 07:32 PM
I walk out on the shotgun range . And gather unbroken clays. Then shoot at them.

Where's the fun in that? shoot at the pieces more challenging

BigAlofPa.
07-14-2020, 08:10 PM
Lol i do shoot at the pieces as they bust.

Papercidal
07-15-2020, 12:30 AM
I built a plate rack from these and they work pretty well.

https://www.newboldtargets.com/KnockDown-Targets

JRD
07-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Do you have any left over baseballs from when your kids may have played little league? I've got a bucket of them and found a baseball will absorb a surprising amount of 22's and makes a fun target that will bounce around when hit. Centerfire rifles were kind of hard on the baseballs though.

dale2242
07-15-2020, 08:22 AM
A comment about bullets staring fire when shooting at steel.
I have seen it happen twice this summer at the same place.
Steel targets were hung above rotten logs.
I mean really rotten logs.
They were almost to the powder stage.
I am assuming bullet fragments deflected down and started the fires.
I have no way of knowing if the bullets were steel jacked or not.
I had a friend tell me that he had a cast bullet start a fire in rotten wood.
He was shooting at steel silhouette targets at the time.

MostlyLeverGuns
07-15-2020, 10:24 AM
I have a few of those rubber/plastic/polymer balls and squares made for shooting that I leave on my range. I can just bounce them across the ground with whatever I am shooting. I have had them for several years, I leave them out, move them when I mow or when they get too far away. Too far depends on the gun I am shooting. Seem to be holding up well.

dangitgriff
07-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Stray/feral cats leashed & staked work well, too. Just got to dig a hole for ‘em when your done. [emoji43][emoji1783]

uscra112
07-15-2020, 08:51 PM
Probably not easy to find unless you're in mining country, but surplus mine conveyor belting works great. Hung on a hinge like your steel targets, even 9mm won't hurt it. We use it for backstops around here.

sureYnot
07-15-2020, 08:57 PM
I walk out on the shotgun range . And gather unbroken clays. Then shoot at them.My son picks those and really enjoys smashing them... And then the broken pieces too, until they're finally too small to hit.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

sureYnot
07-15-2020, 09:01 PM
I have a few of those rubber/plastic/polymer balls and squares made for shooting that I leave on my range. I can just bounce them across the ground with whatever I am shooting. I have had them for several years, I leave them out, move them when I mow or when they get too far away. Too far depends on the gun I am shooting. Seem to be holding up well.I have brass balls. No squares though.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

onelight
07-16-2020, 09:23 AM

Hey I want my clay targets back ! I know those are mine they aren't broken. :-|

farmbif
07-16-2020, 08:02 PM
I was thinking of hanging a couple big truck mud flaps

RU shooter
07-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Bowling pins

SODAPOPMG
07-26-2020, 09:26 PM
reactive targets their is only one will do TANNERITE