PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Hornady SS pin tumbler???

la5676
07-13-2020, 10:20 PM
I can't talk my 85 year old dad out of his Rebel SS pin tumbler. He hasn't been down to the loading room, and it is down in the granary, something we built back in the late 60's out of those old square grain bins used on the farm. He barely gets around, and hasn't been down there as far as I can tell. The last time we went together, mostly to get out house, away from the wimmin so we could talk, both hard of hearing and have to talk loud, nothing had moved from the previous trip down there to talk. I bought him a new lead melting pot (said he needed one) and he hasn't even dropped an ingot in it yet.

Anyway, I'm looking at Hornady's tumbler. It gets pretty good reviews. Anyone like one over the other for any specific reasons?

I haven't pushed the buy button yet, waiting to hear from the hive.:wink::wink:

XDROB
07-13-2020, 10:27 PM
I am am a Hornady person. LnL if I have to say. Don't know anything about their tumbler. But I did buy a Franklin Armoury wet tumbler a few years ago and have been very happy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

la5676
07-13-2020, 10:52 PM
Cool beans XDROB, thanks. I just tallied everything up for a Frankford Arsenal pin tumbler, and although it basically comes with NOTHING, I can get the pins, and I really like the screen option for the lid to pour out the liquid, the separator, etc, all for less than the tumbler and separator from Hornady. I've got other FA equipment, so I know it's good also.

The only difference I could see is the Frankford tumbler did not have a rubber liner, whereas the Hornady did, supposedly making it fairly quiet. How is yours for noise?

Claims to handle 300 .223 cases

XDROB
07-13-2020, 11:18 PM
I usally tumble 45acp, 9 ,380s. I have had good luck using pins. But was turned on to I believe Southern Shine stainless chips. I have not used them yet though. I think the tumbler is pretty quiet. I run it in the cellar with an open stair way and can hardly hear it. You can but I don't thinks it's distracting. And my wife doesn't say anything.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

onelight
07-13-2020, 11:20 PM
The FA platinum series comes with pins that's the one I have and it works well for me I have no idea how loud it is compared to other rotary tumblers but it's not louder than my Hornady vibrating tumbler just a different kind of noise. I run mine in the garage or on the patio if I don't want to listen to it.

la5676
07-13-2020, 11:31 PM
The FA platinum series comes with pins that's the one I have and it works well for me I have no idea how loud it is compared to other rotary tumblers but it's not louder than my Hornady vibrating tumbler just a different kind of noise. I run mine in the garage or on the patio if I don't want to listen to it.

Is the platinum 230 volt? Both tumblers are called platinum. I am looking at Amazon. The smaller one is just $99, then add all the other stuff. The larger one has many bad comments, mostly being it's 230 volt, and made for the Euro grid system.

ETA: There seems to be two different 7 liter models listed on amazon. The US model is 120 volt.

onelight
07-14-2020, 02:16 AM
Is the platinum 230 volt? Both tumblers are called platinum. I am looking at Amazon. The smaller one is just $99, then add all the other stuff. The larger one has many bad comments, mostly being it's 230 volt, and made for the Euro grid system.

ETA: There seems to be two different 7 liter models listed on amazon. The US model is 120 volt.
Mine is 120 V US model it is rated for up to 1000 223 cases.

onelight
07-14-2020, 08:14 PM
I have cleaned about 2000 cases today and looked in the FA rotary tumbler tub it's plastic on the outside and rubber on the inside , if that helps.

Pete44mag
07-14-2020, 10:35 PM
I have an FA platinum rotary tumbler, have cleaned well over 25,000 cases. Works great, no problems, really like it. I use it in the basement or garage and noise is no problem. I use Dawn dish soap and Lemi Shine to clean and rinse in clear water then rinse with Armour All wash and wax to keep them nice and shiny.