PDA

View Full Version : Savage 340

cwlongshot
07-13-2020, 09:41 AM
I picked up a basket case!! Was a bag of parts a couple
Stocks and barrels. (340B 22 Hornet pre sn solid bolt)

One was a Savage 340 with very few parts and 100% disassembled. I was able to assemble the Bolt, minus FP, Spring and cocker/sear. I have receiver and a very fat 1"x26" hornet chambered bbl. one recoil lug, a magazine retainer and a screw for the ejector. I have a factory walnut stock. Thats it.

I found a few parts online and ordered them. Still missing FP Spring and sear, as long as trigger prts fit I should be good to build.

Im invisioning a fun bench gun. No magazine, I would fashion a loading shelf. Also modify a stock to fit/work. Probably not factory. The barrel is not head spaced and is not marked. These came with barrel nut for head space. This dosent have that. Barrel threads directly to receiver sanwiching the lug AKA 700 Rem.

Any help advice for the build be it suggestions where to find parts or offers of parts much appreciated!

CW

MT Gianni
07-13-2020, 10:46 AM
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/gunsmithing_the_savage_model_340.html
You can play around on Leroy's site for a lot of info. I know a member here was looking hard for a 340 bbl in 22 Hornet for about a year. I am not sure if he found one of quit looking. Parts are where you find them and the Hornet is next to last of the calibers the 340 was made in coming in just ahead of the 225 Winchester.

cwlongshot
07-13-2020, 11:29 AM
I need to learn hows and whys. Differences where it matters as far as parts. I see huge difference in shape of triggers for instance.

Do you know if they are like the 23's where the letter was caliber spec. Or was it just generational. I E the latest/last letters are newest.

Mine is a "B"

I dont see any Hornets offered. Most 222- 30/30. Occasional 223.