PDA

View Full Version : Removing old lube

rickt300
07-13-2020, 12:04 AM
I cast a bunch of bullets years ago and I think the lube is not doing it's job allowing some leading. So is there an easy way to clean it off so I can lube the bullets again? Would heating the bullets in water do it?

Winger Ed.
07-13-2020, 12:37 AM
Boil them in water.
Enough will float off you can re-lube them.

If you're going to powder coat, it gets a little more involved to really clean them so it will stick.

flyingmonkey35
07-13-2020, 02:29 AM
Um just remember to do a double boiler system so you dont get a hot spot and melt the lead.

Hot water. Will clean off the old lube pretty goods

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dusty Bannister
07-13-2020, 07:58 AM
Sometimes, instead of going through the mess of boiling, heating and wiping the hot bullets to remove the old lube, a light coating of any of the original Lee Liquid Alox or modifications will get you past that light bit of leading you are experiencing.

If your bullets are slightly undersized, it is not a problem that will be fixed with a change in lube. What is the present lube you are having issues with? Are you certain the bullet diameter is adequate?

megasupermagnum
07-14-2020, 08:30 PM
I've boiled bullets before. It is very easy to do. All you do is put your bullets in a pot, add water, heat until the lube starts to melt off and float. After a few minutes the bullets will be clean, and lube free. Let cool, skim the now solid lube that is floating on the water, and let the bullets dry. It is very easy, I can't imagine a better way to do it.

Springfield
07-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Put them on a cookie sheet lined with paper towel, and put in an oven set on WARM. Throw away the paper towel when done, easier than trying to get that wax of your wife's cooking pot.

gnappi
08-11-2020, 10:19 PM
How many is a bunch? Maybe sell them and start from scratch? I'd send em downrange before removing the lube and re-lubing them.

higgins
08-12-2020, 11:11 AM
You don't have to heat the water to the boiling point. I cleaned out a used lubrisizer and the lube started coming out of it well before boiling, at least with the lube that was in it. Harder lubes may require more heat. I did it in a coffee can that I could throw away because the melted lube will make a mess of the container.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-12-2020, 01:19 PM
I agree with Dusty Bannister, Put a coating of LLA right over the old lube, then shoot 'em...to see if that solves the problem.

Ozark mike
08-12-2020, 01:30 PM
How many is a bunch? Maybe sell them and start from scratch? I'd send em downrange before removing the lube and re-lubing them.

People here usually like to play with they're food. If they didnt they'd jus go buy factory ammo

edp2k
08-12-2020, 04:29 PM
5 min job.
old pot, water, bullets, teaspoon of dish soap (or better: laundry soap), boil for 5 min, pour off,
(at this point I re-do the water boil a 2nd time, maybe not needed)
throw bullets on towel, put in front of fan.

DONE

Not sure what all the debate and hesitation is all about from all the above posts :)
its not rocket science :)
easier than making mac and cheese.
if you can make coffee then you can do this.

richhodg66
08-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Biling works great, just don't walk away doing something else and let it boil dry, did that once, melted bullets.

After boiling and skimming, I let them dry and then slosh them in a jar with some mineral spirits to get any last traces of old lube off.

I think trying the liquid alox first is a good idea.

Ozark mike
08-12-2020, 11:14 PM
If ya boil enough let cool pull the big consistent cookie off the top. Volia instant grease cookies

Dusty Bannister
08-12-2020, 11:26 PM
Mike, when I did that I ended up with air bubbles and water beads in the sheet of wax. Folks might want to be aware of that as the moisture will kill the powder if you are not paying attention.

facetious
08-21-2020, 01:38 PM
Put them on a cookie sheet lined with paper towel, and put in an oven set on WARM. Throw away the paper towel when done, easier than trying to get that wax of your wife's cooking pot.

I had lubed a bunch in the lube/sizer and over coated them with BLL ,had them sitting in the garage to dry. I was doing some thing and set them outside to get them out of the way, the sun moved around so they weren't in the shade and when I went to get them all the lube had melted off of them.

rickt300
05-18-2021, 03:59 PM
I got the water boiling and turned the power off. Did it twice and the bullets came out clean. Relubed with Alox and all is good. No leading and it keeps my barrel lightly lubed.

John Boy
05-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Old subject, discussed many time .... put them in a pot of hot water. I know of no lube that melts higher than 150 degrees except a few https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/media/wysiwyg/product-manuals/Lyman/bullet_lube_melting_points.pdf

Castaway
05-19-2021, 06:40 AM
I’d try LLA first, then if that didn’t stop any leading, put the bullets in a container, pour some turpentine over them and let them soak.

winelover
05-19-2021, 06:53 AM
Place bullets on paper towels, on a old cookie sheet, in direct sun on a hot day. Or do the same thing but use a heatgun/hair drier if weather isn't conducive.

Winelover