PDA

View Full Version : Beretta APX on the way

FergusonTO35
07-12-2020, 03:10 PM
I've been wanting to add another 9mm to the battery and the Beretta APX compact caught my eye. Feels like a quality piece, made in Italy, with interchangeable grip shells for very reasonable price, $350.00. The trigger pull feels really good to me, miles ahead of Glock for sure. So, I put one in layaway jail.

Anybody have experience with these pistols? Do they get along with boolit ok? Factory mags are only $20.00 each, so that is a huge plus. I'm planning to get a Centurion grip for it as well.

onelight
07-12-2020, 03:59 PM
I have never shot a an APX but have been interested in how they shot and functioned . They use a rotating barrel for lockup don't they?

Texas by God
07-12-2020, 04:33 PM
It’s a Beretta. Let not your heart be troubled. It’ll be fine I’m sure. Every Beretta I’ve ever fired was a first class gun. Put a Fastfire or such on it and have a blast.

gpidaho
07-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Ferg: You're going to like that pistol. I bought a 9mm APX a couple months ago. I liked it so much that I ordered one in 40S&W yesterday from Classic Firearms.My local gun shops supplier was out of stock on the 40s. I asked Classic for a custom quote and they knocked $40 off the asking price. With shipping. insurance,tax and transfer Just $403. Both of the APXs come with three magazines. 17rounders for the 9 and 15 for the 40. Gp

FergusonTO35
07-12-2020, 07:05 PM
Awesome, glad to hear the good reports. The APX has the usual tilting barrel set up. The shop also had the single stack APX carry in stock. I was rather disappointed with that one, trigger pull is not nearly as good as the full size.

gpidaho
07-12-2020, 07:15 PM
Nothing wrong with the triggers on the full sized APX. Mine breaks just fine. Much better than my old Glock 17. Gp

onelight
07-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Awesome, glad to hear the good reports. The APX has the usual tilting barrel set up. The shop also had the single stack APX carry in stock. I was rather disappointed with that one, trigger pull is not nearly as good as the full size.
Ha , I need to catch up on my Berettas , I was thinking of the PX4 . The APEX looks very nice to.

Idaho45guy
07-12-2020, 07:54 PM
I was looking for the APX Compact .40 S&W or APX Centurion online and couldn't find any. Really wanted one in FDE or OD but they only make the 9mm in the colored models.

FergusonTO35
07-12-2020, 08:42 PM
My local shop has been getting the APX compact and carry pretty regularly. I think the made in Italy APX compact is a real bargain for $350.00. The APX carry costs the same, doesnt seem to be such a bargain to me.

Idaho45guy
07-12-2020, 09:19 PM
Ferg: You're going to like that pistol. I bought a 9mm APX a couple months ago. I liked it so much that I ordered one in 40S&W yesterday from Classic Firearms.My local gun shops supplier was out of stock on the 40s. I asked Classic for a custom quote and they knocked $40 off the asking price. With shipping. insurance,tax and transfer Just $403. Both of the APXs come with three magazines. 17rounders for the 9 and 15 for the 40. Gp

Dang! They're out today. Just tried to order the Centurion.

gpidaho
07-12-2020, 09:27 PM
I was on my computer when the Email came in with Beretta's for sale. Made a quick call to local gun shop for a price. Out of stock. Bought mine and SIL wanted one too. With in a few minutes they were all sold. Gp

Idaho45guy
07-12-2020, 09:37 PM
I was on my computer when the Email came in with Beretta's for sale. Made a quick call to local gun shop for a price. Out of stock. Bought mine and SIL wanted one too. With in a few minutes they were all sold. Gp

Always interested in trying out a mid-sized .40 S&W. Thought my M&P40c would be perfect, but the accuracy isn't great and it doesn't feel quite right in my hand. G19 is perfect, so thought I'd try the G23, but those are gone. Remembered the APX got rave reviews and actually got to handle one in the store and really like the feel and the trigger, and at $350, was a deal. Now they're gone.

Put in an email notice with a couple of suppliers, so we'll see...

JeffG
07-13-2020, 09:47 PM
I have the full size APX in 40 cal. I love it, great trigger and great quality. Not a single burp or hiccup and dead accurate. I like the look and the grip feel is excellent.

Idaho45guy
07-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Sad that these were selling for $329 everywhere a few months ago. Just put a bid in on one online for $355. Doubt I'll win, but might as well try. The seller had around 6 of them and listed them all in an auction to cash in on the current panic. Another seller was listing them at $525 for a pistol with an MSRP of $399.

FergusonTO35
07-14-2020, 10:15 AM
Just ordered some extra mags from Grab A Gun for it. With shipping they came out to $28.00 each total so that's pretty good.

Idaho45guy
07-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Didn't win my auction...

A pistol that was simply not popular and could be had for $329 a few months ago, with an MSRP of $399, and in a caliber that everyone says is awful, sold for $445. Now, I'm sure the pistol is worth the money as it gets rave reviews, and I would have liked to try one out, but I'm not going to contribute to the current insanity. Maybe next year.

FergusonTO35
07-14-2020, 02:48 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. It is rather sad that the APX hasn't made much of an impact on it's competitors, seems like a really good gun that Beretta put alot of work into creating.

gpidaho
07-17-2020, 11:15 AM
My Beretta APX 40S&W was picked up at my FFL yesterday and taken out to our local range. This handgun actually has a throat unlike most pistols that aren't very cast bullet friendly out of the box. Happy to say this barrel won't have to be sent off and throated. As a test,I loaded some rounds at .015 over max. COL and they feed without any failure to feed. I have to give a shout out to Classic Firearms. I ordered this pistol on Saturday and had it at the FFL out here in Idaho on Wednesday. Great service and price ($329) Now I'll just need to pay proper attention if letting others try the APXs at the range. The 40S&W and the 9X19 are identical other than caliber. Gp

FergusonTO35
07-19-2020, 12:25 AM
Awesome. My Glock 22 with LWD barrel really likes 3.5 grains Clays/Lee 401-175-TC. I bet the APX would too.

FergusonTO35
08-18-2020, 01:11 PM
Bailed out the APX yesterday, hope to do a quick range test today. The barrel appears to have very conventional rifling and my usual lead rounds all plunked just fine.

FergusonTO35
08-18-2020, 07:34 PM
I was able to take the APX for a quick test drive. Feed and function with R-P factory 147 grain FMJ and my reloads with 134 grain RNFP slugs was 100%. The trigger really takes some getting used to, it feels like a really short double action to me. The deep groove in the rear sight has a different appearance too. That and the funky trigger pull caused me to pull shots down. The APX seems to be fairly accurate with boolits, there was some minor leading in the last inch of the barrel. Overall I think the APX is a really nice gun but will take alot of getting used to!

gpidaho
08-18-2020, 07:45 PM
I liked my 9mm APX so much I bought one in 40S&W I powder coat all my pistol bullets and get zero leading. One of the best things about the APX's is that the throat is long, unlike most pistols today. I can seat the cast bullets out beyond Sammi max (not that you need to) without interference from the lack of a throat like many pistols are plagued with today. Gp

FergusonTO35
08-19-2020, 08:28 AM
I also find that when I line the sight dots all in a row it shoots low, which is unlike most other three dot setups I have tried. I prefer a plain rear sight so I blacked out the dots with a Sharpie. I may also experiment with filling some of the notch with black epoxy. LPA makes a pretty sweet adjustable sight set for the APX so that is a possibility too.

Idaho45guy
08-20-2020, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the update! I am so jealous! I never did find an APX that was reasonably priced, so maybe next year if Trump gets re-elected prices will return to normal. If not, I have plenty of guns to keep me busy.

FergusonTO35
08-21-2020, 02:14 PM
Took the APX out again today and found it really, really likes my reloads with Berry's 124 grain plated truncated cone slugs. Thing is, it shoots decidedly low at 7 yards. This target was made with the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear, dot on the bullseye. I wonder if Beretta would give me a slightly taller rear sight?

jcren
08-22-2020, 10:12 AM
If I am not mistaken, European pistols are regulated at longer distances than American guns, something like 20 meters I believe. My Walther and Bersa guns both shoot to the sights somewhere around 15 yards.

FergusonTO35
08-22-2020, 12:45 PM
So, do yours print low at shorter distances?

onelight
08-22-2020, 01:58 PM
It should be closer than that at 7 yards . Before you do any thing to the sights let someone else shoot it , if you have someone that is a pretty good shot and see if it hits the same for them. Often it's our sight picture , grip or trigger pull that makes them hit off.
I noticed you have been around a while so I am sure you know this.

Texas by God
08-22-2020, 04:57 PM
If it prints low at 7 yards it will be worse farther away. I cant stand a low hitting pistol. That gun should print dead on or slightly high at 25 yards with generic 115gr FMJ. Call Beretta and see what they say IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jcren
08-22-2020, 05:14 PM
So, do yours print low at shorter distances?

Yes, suprised me at first. Like a rifle with high sights. The bersa was not too bad, but the Walther is over an inch low at snake ranges, but right on off a rest @ 15 yards.

FergusonTO35
08-22-2020, 08:59 PM
Wow, that's strange! Yes, I can't stand a pistol that shoots low either. I'm going to put a few more boxes of shells through it at varying distances to see if anything changes. Maybe I just need to get used to it, maybe point of impact will change as it breaks in. I'm planning to get the LPA adjustable sight set for it at some point anyway.

yovinny
08-25-2020, 12:31 PM
I like my full size so much, I just added a compact model to the stable 2 weeks ago.
I really couldent resist, as it was Bud's Uncle Lee's store last example and still priced at $329. in the current panic.
The full size and compact are both made by Beretta in Italy,, while I believe the other centurian and carry model are made in the US plant instead.

FergusonTO35
08-25-2020, 02:51 PM
Sounds good. Do your pistols shoot to the sights as issued? I took the APX out yesterday with different ammo (the ubiquitous 115 grain FMJ) and it still shoots low. The pistol does make nice groups, just always low no matter the distance. I'm taking it to the shop after work and see if they will send it back to Beretta or get them to send me a shorter front sight. The slide on this pistol is really heavy and it doesn't eject very far. I wonder if Beretta assumes you will be using more energetic ammo such as 9mm NATO?

onelight
08-25-2020, 03:54 PM
Sounds good. Do your pistols shoot to the sights as issued? I took the APX out yesterday with different ammo (the ubiquitous 115 grain FMJ) and it still shoots low. The pistol does make nice groups, just always low no matter the distance. I'm taking it to the shop after work and see if they will send it back to Beretta or get them to send me a shorter front sight. The slide on this pistol is really heavy and it doesn't eject very far. I wonder if Beretta assumes you will be using more energetic ammo such as 9mm NATO?
I call guns that eject like that ...... very considerate :p

FergusonTO35
08-25-2020, 09:11 PM
Took it to the shop and the owner agreed it shouldn't be printing low like that. They are going to send it back for me.

yovinny
08-26-2020, 06:22 AM
I havent shot the compact yet,, but my full size seems to shoot 115gr standard ball & HP ammo just fine..
I also havent tried lead in it yet, but they chamber just fine and I expect no issues.
My 9mm loads are gas checked and at full standard velocity or better,, I just need to get out and try some..

gpidaho
08-26-2020, 12:20 PM
As posted before in this thread, I have both the 9mm and 40 S&W full sized APX's. No complaint here with either. Both shoot the Lee TC's well and I found out yesterday that the 40 loves the Hornaday 160gr. XTP's at just half a grain under max in the Hornady manual. Gp

FergusonTO35
08-26-2020, 01:29 PM
Sounds good. Other than printing low I really like the APX so far.

FergusonTO35
09-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Beretta sent a pre-paid shipping label so the APX is on it's way back. Looking forward to shooting it again!

yovinny
09-02-2020, 02:32 PM
Beretta sent a pre-paid shipping label so the APX is on it's way back. Looking forward to shooting it again!

That was nice...better then Savage, who Im dealing with.
Took 2+ months to even hear back from them,, then cost me $40. to ship in the shotgun,, And havent heard a peep in the 6 weeks since then...

FergusonTO35
09-03-2020, 12:17 PM
I guess I have had good luck, most gunmakers I have dealt with went out of their way to help me. If I bought the gun used I would have just replaced the sights myself, but I just bought it new and it should be dead on with common ammo. I'm still planning to have the adjustable sights put on at some point. Will report back when it is fixed!

FergusonTO35
10-26-2020, 12:32 PM
Got the APX back, and Beretta test fired it and said no problem found. They included a test target from 15 yards, showing a group that was roughly centered for elevation, but an inch or so left of the bullseye. Geez, they could have at least put the next size shorter front sight on as a courtesy since the pistol is shooting low for me the customer. Not really impressed with that. I already bought the adjustable sight set for the APX, so I left it for the 'smith to install. Will report back!

FergusonTO35
10-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Picked up the APX with it's new sights and took a quick test drive. Seems to be shooting good with W-W and R-P 147 grain factory ammo and also my own reloads with the Lee 356-120-TC. I seat the Lee boolits to 1.072. They drop into the chamber a bit snug but shoot great, leading seems minimal and function is 100%. One thing I will say, don't try squeezing the trigger like it's a good 1911. That always results in pulling the shot up or down for me. Line up the front sight and give the trigger a firm press like you mean it.

FergusonTO35
11-02-2020, 04:35 PM
Put some more rounds through the APX and ,I must say, I am still on the fence about keeping it. As nice a pistol it is, I am going to have to put alot of rounds downrange to really get comfortable with it. And, that could be a problem depending on how things go tomorrow. I still shoot my Glocks alot better, and I might be better served overall with a gen. 5 19. Decisions, decisions...

FergusonTO35
11-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Had another range session with the APX today. Everything finally seems to be coming together with this pistol, I can now shoot it about as well as my trusty old Glock 26. The APX seems to do really well with my reloads of Arsenal 358-130-RF sized to .357 over 4 grains HP-38 at 1.075. At least as accurate as R-P 147 grain FMJ and fouling seems minimal. So, for now I'm leaning towards keeping it unless somebody makes me an offer I can't refuse.

Idaho45guy
11-17-2020, 01:37 PM
Nice to hear that it's working out! I gave up my quest for one in .40 S&W and just bought one of the new Gen 5 Glock G23s. Paid MSRP for it, which was sad, but they are impossible to find locally and I had to order it from a shop in SC.

FergusonTO35
11-17-2020, 02:10 PM
Never seen a gen. 5 in .40, even at shops that had plenty of 'em in 9mm. Sounds like a nice piece, you tried boolits in it yet?

Idaho45guy
11-18-2020, 04:38 AM
Never seen a gen. 5 in .40, even at shops that had plenty of 'em in 9mm. Sounds like a nice piece, you tried boolits in it yet?

I won't get it for another week or two. The only FFL in my county operates for a couple of hours in the evening a couple of days a week, so finding time to do the 30 mile drive during the work week, when I work graveyard shifts, is tough.

Hopefully it won't be like my Gen 5 G19, which early models came with shallow throats. Certain bullet designs, when seating at recommended OAL, would not chamber. Glock quietly fixed later versions. They offered to fix mine for free, but I spent so much time developing loads for it, and was able to get 1" groups at 25 yards, that I don't want to risk messing it up.