PDA

View Full Version : A question for Australian members.

Texas by God
07-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Would it be legal to ship a receiver sight to Australia to an individual?
I googled it and didnt get a clear answer.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dansedgli
07-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Like iron sights?

Yeah they are fine. No permits needed on our end.

On our side we pretty much only need permits for magazines, barrels, slides, complete trigger mechanisms and frames.

Texas by God
07-12-2020, 02:55 PM
Thanks, mate.[emoji41]

sav300
07-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Unless you strike a sucky customs officer that wants to make your life miserable. Then you have to apply to firearms registry for a permit.
All our states differ too.

Stephen Cohen
07-12-2020, 07:28 PM
There is no real legal problem in sending a sight to Australia, but as mentioned about Customs are a law unto themselves with very little course for redress. I know one good friend who had a $1000 of Boyds rifle stocks confiscated. There is a sure way to ensure you have no problem, have the Australian recipient obtain a B709A permit from Australian Police it is available online and free and will ensure that Customs will not seize the item. I should point out that this is not a legal requirement but it is the only way I will import an item to this country. Regards Stephen

nicholst55
07-12-2020, 07:43 PM
Vendors like Brownells tell you that any gun part over $100 in value is restricted, and requires a permit to export. Scopes, laser rangefinders, and some other items are also restricted regardless of cost. I get all the warnings every time I log onto their websites, since I am currently in South Korea.

Bad Ass Wallace
07-12-2020, 09:30 PM
I believe the US State Department rules on export to countries like Australia, are in the process of change?

Stephen Cohen
07-12-2020, 10:45 PM
I believe the US State Department rules on export to countries like Australia, are in the process of change?

You made my day with that mate. It has been hard to get things from the States since the Obama days. Regards Stephen.

Texas by God
07-12-2020, 11:38 PM
Thank you all. I'll not pursue it farther.

Tripplebeards
07-16-2020, 07:32 PM
Not to derail but how’s the Varget powder production coming along???

mickbr
07-16-2020, 08:10 PM
You made my day with that mate. It has been hard to get things from the States since the Obama days. Regards Stephen.

I dont think the changes will be to the good though. Things started getting difficult to bring in well before obama. In the 90's our customs started to clamp down. The next step was the US changing its export policies after 9/11,which unfortunately included various commercial gun related items. This expanded as both countries used terrorism as an excuse to restrict private purchase shipping. Its sad that inert pieces of metal for a legitimate sporting purpose are now treated more like uranium.

Bad Ass Wallace
07-16-2020, 11:13 PM
https://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?topic=254077.0

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2020/01/good-news-for-gunsmiths-changes-to-itar-regulations/

"Cleckner summarizes the key regulatory changes in a 1/20/2020 Gun University Article:

1. Manufacturers will no longer have to pay a $2,250 annual registration fee.
2. No long approval process [for exports].
3. No Congressional approval needed for deals over $1 million.
4. Easier sharing of technical information for designs/R&D."