PDA

View Full Version : Lee Carbide Base Sizer????

ca_reloader
07-11-2020, 01:21 PM
Did Lee ever make a carbide base sizer and is that what I have here. I have researched Lee's website and can find nothing.

la5676
07-11-2020, 01:59 PM
You don't reference .223 base sizer in your message, but since I can read the side of the die in the first pic, it certainly seems strange. LEE makes many carbide sizers, buy I'm not aware of ANY in bottleneck rifle dies. What does the rest of the printing say on the side of the die?

ca_reloader
07-11-2020, 02:39 PM
"Lee 223 Rem - 14", there are no other markings. It is not a traditional sizing die as there are no provisions for a de-cap rod

fralic76
07-11-2020, 04:20 PM
What does the top end of the die look like? I am thinking it could be a trim die.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

ca_reloader
07-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Top of die is considerably longer than the overall length of a 223 round

AntiqueSledMan
07-11-2020, 05:38 PM
Looks like Bubba has struck again.
What's the diameter?

AntiqueSledMan.

sghart3578
07-11-2020, 06:17 PM
It looks like a quick-trim die.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-11-2020, 06:46 PM
I'd call Peter in their customer service dept. and send him the photos, although he may be able to help you without them. It sure looks like a carbide ring insert to me, but they make many custom dies that you won't necessarily find in their catalog. If it is a carbide sizer, then I'd speculate that it's a small base sizer which is designed to squeeze the brass's base down smaller than SAAMI specs to assure reliable functioning in semi- and full auto weapons. The commonly encountered small base sizing dies are .223 (5.56mm), .308, .30-06.

ca_reloader
07-11-2020, 07:52 PM
On my list of things to do Monday morning.

I ran some previously sized LC brass in the die and it reduced the base diameter approx. .002"

skeettx
07-11-2020, 08:24 PM
Sizer die from this
https://leeprecision.com/223-rem-ultimate-die-set.html

la5676
07-12-2020, 09:48 AM
Ultimate die set just includes both FL sizer die and neck collet sizing die, nothing special in the set. I'll wait for the OP to hear back from LEE.

44magLeo
07-12-2020, 02:38 PM
I got out my Lee Ultimate die set for 223. The collet neck size die has no markings on it. If bought by itself they may have put markings on it.
My die has a longer smooth section at the top of the die and you can see about 3/8" of the collet sticking out of the bottom. If I remove the inner parts and look up inside the body it is just a large hole for the collet. It looks nothing like that die.
I'll keep an eye out on this thread to see what ca_reloader hears from Lee.
Leo

ca_reloader
07-13-2020, 11:28 AM
sghart3578 is correct, it is a quick trim die. I have seen a number of this style of trimmer manufactured by Pacific and RCBS, I was not aware that Lee had adopted it.

la5676
07-13-2020, 03:44 PM
sghart3578 is correct, it is a quick trim die. I have seen a number of this style of trimmer manufactured by Pacific and RCBS, I was not aware that Lee had adopted it.

I don't think so. This is RCBS quick trim die, and it is anything but quick. (video below) OP's comment in #5 would preclude this from being a quick trim die, he said it is much longer than a .223 case. LEE's newer quick trim dies have much larger bores in the top of die to allow die/knives tool to be inserted. You can see the hole in the top if this die isn't much larger than the bottom, if not actually smaller.

I await the real answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grZ41a1BCnI

ca_reloader
07-13-2020, 05:39 PM
I am not sure what you are trying to say. My die is a Lee Quick Time Die. In the 60's and early 70's RCBS and Pacific, and maybe others, made a die with the same design as the Lee die. My point was that I was not aware that Lee had reintroduced the design.

ReloaderFred
07-13-2020, 07:35 PM
I don't think so. This is RCBS quick trim die, and it is anything but quick. (video below) OP's comment in #5 would preclude this from being a quick trim die, he said it is much longer than a .223 case. LEE's newer quick trim dies have much larger bores in the top of die to allow die/knives tool to be inserted. You can see the hole in the top if this die isn't much larger than the bottom, if not actually smaller.

I await the real answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grZ41a1BCnI

That's an RCBS FILE TRIM die, not a quick trim die. They have different functions.

Hope this helps.

Fred

la5676
07-13-2020, 08:00 PM
That's an RCBS FILE TRIM die, not a quick trim die. They have different functions.

Hope this helps.

Fred

So is this the RCBS quick trim tool then? Video below. I having trouble seeing how the die in the OP's pic can accomodate any type of tool in the top to trim from that end, and it's too long to use a file like the file die I posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRm-SCZvts

onelight
07-13-2020, 08:27 PM
Go here to see a quick trim setup
https://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/

la5676
07-13-2020, 08:38 PM

I have to apologize then. The picture throws me off with the hole size in the top of the die, it is visible through the bottom of the die. The bore in LEE Quick trim dies are near 5/8" or so to allow that rotating tool to go down inside the die to contact the case.

la5676
07-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Go here to see a quick trim setup
https://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/

Yeah, I know, I've got one. Like I said above, that hole size just threw me. I've got some old RCBS sizing/decap dies that have what I think are 10/32 threads in the top of the die. No way would one put the neck expander ball, and deprime pin down there like most dies now. Instead, you threaded it up from underneath, then locked it with a set screw. Still works.

44magLeo
07-14-2020, 04:45 PM
Nice you figured it out. Now I know what to look for I looked up the Quick trim in the catalog.
It does appear to be quicker than trimming to length, then chamfer and deburr. The quick trim does it all at once with the Deluxe version. The value version just trims to length.
There are other trimmer set ups that do it all, but I don't think they do it for that price.
With the power drive adapter you can use a power screwdriver.
Doing it on the press even with the chip catcher I think I would not use it on my main press. Don't think I'd like cleaning out the chips on the main press.
Anybody use one? If so how does it work? , Throw chips all over?
With this set up you can trim to the length you want instead of just what their case length gauge/ Lock stud cutter set gives you.
I have that set up now. Works well if the cases are long enough to need trimming. It has no easy adjustment.
Leo

tankgunner59
07-15-2020, 10:37 PM
In the pic referenced it looks like the factory crimp die. I have the ultimate set for my 6.5 Creedmoor, the dies line up left to right: Full Length Sizing die, Bullet Seating die, Factory Crimp die then the Collet Neck Sizing die. This one in the OP's pics looks just like the FCD to me.