PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be dillon owner

mainiac
07-11-2020, 09:47 AM
Just bought a dillon 550b
Can i use my lyman 4 die set on this press?

BigAlofPa.
07-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Sure why not? I use Lee,RCBS ,Hornady and Lyman dies is my press's. I have Lee and Lyman press's. And congrats on the Dillon!

jmorris
07-11-2020, 10:22 AM
You can use any 7/8-14 threaded reloading dies but to use the Dillon powder measure, you have to use their die and powder funnel in #2.

Some dies are threaded too short to put the lock nut on the top but there is room to install them on the bottom of the tool head.

jsizemore
07-11-2020, 10:51 AM
The Dillon dies do have some user friendly features like being able to clean them without having to readjust them. If you don't push the pressure on your loads, the radiused sizer makes things easier. I ain't necessarily in love with that decapping setup on their dies.

mainiac
07-11-2020, 11:20 AM
So,i wouldnt be able to use my lyman m-die...

lightman
07-11-2020, 11:24 AM
Your Lyman dies should work fine. The only thing to consider is that most older dies have a smaller radius around the mouth of the die and that makes it difficult sometimes lining up all 4 cases on the up-stroke.

mainiac
07-11-2020, 11:39 AM
My lyman dies are fairly new,and they are exellent.what i cant see,is where am i gonna powder drop,using these dies?

Burnt Fingers
07-11-2020, 11:52 AM
You've only got four stages.

If you use the Lyman M die you're going to have to seat and crimp in one station.

You can get M die like powder funnels for the Dillon powder measure.

http://www.uniquetek.com/dillon-press-enhancements

Seriously if you didn't know if your Lyman dies would fit I really have to question whether or not you're ready for a Dillon press.

jsizemore
07-11-2020, 12:05 PM
The powder funnel/expander replaces your M die. You can get one from uniquetek or get Lathesmith to make you one.

mainiac
07-11-2020, 12:25 PM

If you use the Lyman M die you're going to have to seat and crimp in one station.

Seriously if you didn't know if your Lyman dies would fit I really have to question whether or not you're ready for a Dillon press.

Not to worry,ive loaded many thousands of rounds in dozen of calibers,not to mention a ton of shotshells,so i dont need your opinion,but thanks for looking out for me.

mainiac
07-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Thank you,,this is exactly my question,i will look that up.

mainiac
07-11-2020, 12:28 PM
The powder funnel/expander replaces your M die. You can get one from uniquetek or get Lathesmith to make you one.

Thank you,,this is what im looking for,,i will look them up,thanks

Lloyd Smale
07-12-2020, 08:26 AM
like was said here. Just find the powder drop that gives you the flair you want and it will do the same thing as the M die. For example my 32 mag powder drop bushing flares 30 cal rifle rounds just fine.

jmorris
07-12-2020, 10:34 AM
The caliber conversion you ordered with the press will come with a powder funnel that incorporates an expander and bell/flare.

Just try it first before you start trying to fix a problem you don’t yet have.

Dave W.
07-12-2020, 10:42 AM
When I first got my 550, I used my existing dies, over the years they have all been replaced with Dillon dies. The Dillon ones have several features that I like better than any other dies.

Burnt Fingers
07-12-2020, 10:57 AM
The caliber conversion you ordered with the press will come with a powder funnel that incorporates an expander and bell/flare.

I never had good luck with the supplied powder funnels. They are awesome for jacketed bullets. Not so great for properly sized cast boolits. Uniquetek now has proper funnels for 38 wadcutters and heavy 9mm boolits.

I haven't ordered and used the 38 wadcutter funnel yet but the heavy 9mm funnel makes a HUGE difference in loading my NOE ELCO boolits.

jsizemore
07-12-2020, 04:28 PM
The stock powder funnel worked fine for my 45acp and 38spec. The 9mm was a problem. The throat on my barrels was a bit large. I had Lathesmith make me one that was the same size as my sized bullet. After the brass snapped back from expansion, I only lost .0002-3 when I pulled a seated bullet. I'm using COWW+2% Sn for alloy and it can handle expanding the brass enough for good neck tension with a light crimp and no bullet setback.
Slug your barrel and it will tell you what it needs.

onelight
07-12-2020, 05:35 PM
" Seriously " do you think this was helpful for anyone ?

mainiac
07-12-2020, 08:18 PM

I bought it used,,its set up for 40sw,,got to convert it to 45acp.

jsizemore
07-12-2020, 09:47 PM
That's a good one to start with.

DocSavage
07-13-2020, 08:41 AM
The 550 is a great machine, it has it's quirks but of the Dillon it's the most versatile. First multi stage press I owned loaded everything from 223 to 45/70 on it. The priming system is what gives people fits but it's easier to deal with than the 650s I have now. Had to replace the linkage arms twice but the press was 10 yrs old and no easy way to grease things they have zirc fittings now to allow that I believe. As long as you don't try case reforming or bullet swageing the press will give you a long and happy reloading experience and remember if something breaks call Dillon they'll send parts free of charge whether you bought it new or used.

Lloyd Smale
08-23-2020, 06:50 AM
yup ive loaded MANY MANY thousand handgun rounds on dillons using there expander/funnels and never found on time where they didn't work with cast bullets. don't know how youd do it on a 550 not using them unless you took every round off the press and had another press set up to flare. Second station on a 550 is set up for the powder measure and flare.
The stock powder funnel worked fine for my 45acp and 38spec. The 9mm was a problem. The throat on my barrels was a bit large. I had Lathesmith make me one that was the same size as my sized bullet. After the brass snapped back from expansion, I only lost .0002-3 when I pulled a seated bullet. I'm using COWW+2% Sn for alloy and it can handle expanding the brass enough for good neck tension with a light crimp and no bullet setback.
Slug your barrel and it will tell you what it needs.

Plate plinker
08-23-2020, 09:00 AM
I bought it used,,its set up for 40sw,,got to convert it to 45acp.

Super easy loading 45 ACP. Press on and don’t look back.

ioon44
08-23-2020, 09:16 AM
I am still using the same Dillon 550 I got in 1986, just added some of the upgrades as they came along.

gnappi
08-23-2020, 10:46 AM
I have owned Dillon 450 and 550 presses for a long time and have not looked at others since. I have gmhad GR8 success with a seat crimp die and a powder checker die.

On the rare occasion I get a long or short case with a weird crimp I either pull it or send it down range.

kullas
08-23-2020, 02:03 PM
Only problem I have had with my 750 is with the primer system. It runs out way to fast.

oldhenry
08-23-2020, 09:51 PM
I didn't see this addressed in answers to your question.

If your Lyman sizing die also de-primes, you're good to go.

Henry

Kevin Rohrer
08-24-2020, 08:35 AM
The Dillon dies do have some user friendly features like being able to clean them without having to readjust them. If you don't push the pressure on your loads, the radiused sizer makes things easier. I ain't necessarily in love with that decapping setup on their dies.

^^This^^

is important if you use lead bullets, like I do.

oldhenry
08-24-2020, 09:56 AM
^^^^^True

I started loading .45 Colt with my Lyman die set& quickly replaced the seating & crimp die with Dillons. This was back when Dillon offered separate dies (they only show complete sets in the current "Blue Press"). They may be available on special request: I'd try.

I use nothing but cast.

derek45
08-24-2020, 10:43 AM
I have a 550b and XL650

i use, dillon, hornady, lee, lyman, and redding dies

excellent machines

Burnt Fingers
08-24-2020, 01:18 PM
^^^^^True

I started loading .45 Colt with my Lyman die set& quickly replaced the seating & crimp die with Dillons. This was back when Dillon offered separate dies (they only show complete sets in the current "Blue Press"). They may be available on special request: I'd try.

I use nothing but cast.

If you go to their website you can purchase individual dies.

Baltimoreed
08-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Bought 2 Lyman T2 turrets and been gifted 2 Dillon 550s, both types are great presses. Welcome to the club. But you’ve got to pay attention and if you run into a hiccup you don’t accidentally charge the same case twice. It’s easy to do. I’ve never done it and have gotten into the habit of eyeballing inside the case before seating a bullet. It’s not a race so take your time. I’ve been to too many cas matches where shooters have built bad ammo and are dealing with multiple sqibs, upside down primers and one where he blew up a nice Colt SAA.