PDA

View Full Version : I guess amazon is ending the free shipping

abunaitoo
07-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Wanted to order some stuff, and they want to give you a trial of prime with the free shipping.
prime is $199 a year.
Not worth it for me.
Friend has prime, I'll just ask him to order for me.
I'll probably be ordering less from them now.
Free shipping saved a lots for me.

jsizemore
07-08-2020, 08:15 PM
I got a friend that has prime. When I do some work around her house, I bank it with her and order stuff from Amazon through her. Got a great omni directional antenna that picks up 56 stations at 720p or better.

UPS drops stuff at her house 7 days a week. Her Kangal is tuned to the sound of the brown box truck.

Winger Ed.
07-08-2020, 08:34 PM
Maybe just way out there since its so far off shore.
The 'confuser programs are pretty smart now days.
They know your location, and adjust other programs accordingly, such as for shipping.
To test the theory- put in a stateside zip code & address for a 'free shipping item' order,
and another one for a address out there. See it the shipping is different.

I just ordered a couple of new (Flotron: made in USA) bug zappers 10 minutes ago,
they had free shipping, but a huge Amazon hub is only 75 miles away in Dallas.

Mal Paso
07-08-2020, 08:40 PM
I just Cancelled Prime. The last 2 orders were late and no show despite a Guarantee. Customer Service hung up on me when I requested a refund.

If you pay shipping you have some recourse but Amazon Prime is a Bad Joke.

megasupermagnum
07-08-2020, 08:58 PM
I've been using a prime member for years. It easily pays for itself, and is no joke. You can't hold anything against a company for a couple days late at the moment. When the world was normal a few months ago (or as normal as it gets), I could order from Amazon, and it would either be there the next morning on my step, or two days. I'm still waiting on orders from other places that I placed 4 weeks ago. Amazon has still been consistently 1 to 4 days. The only thing that can compete is Precision Reloading. $6 shipping, and every single time it is on my door step the next morning (usually only 12 hours later).

Jsm180
07-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Wanted to order some stuff, and they want to give you a trial of prime with the free shipping.
prime is $199 a year.
Not worth it for me.
Friend has prime, I'll just ask him to order for me.
I'll probably be ordering less from them now.
Free shipping saved a lots for me.

I only pay $119 a year, it's not perfect but beats driving into town and spending half a day searching for something. I can get some items same day.

BigAlofPa.
07-08-2020, 09:10 PM
I ordered a tumbler from amazon recently. I got free shipping. They did offer a trail of prime. I declined.

dragon813gt
07-08-2020, 09:34 PM
Prime is $119 a year. I have it specifically for the video content. It’s cheaper than Netflix and Hulu and has better original programming. The shipping is just a bonus to me.

Everything is a mess in the world right now. Amazon, major retailers and local stores don’t have the stock they used to have. They don’t know when they will have it back in stock. And the shipping companies are still swamped because people are ordering what they can.

I spent two hours driving around to local store to find shoes for my oldest son. None of them had a single pair available in his size. Went on Amazon and had him pick out three styles that he likes. Ordered all of them in two different sizes through Prime Wardrobe. They’re supposed to arrive Friday for him to try on and there is no money out of my pocket. The ones we don’t keep will be sent back free of charge. You really can’t beat this type of service.

I ordered a bunch of odds and like nail clippers and band-aids the other day. Package arrived next day. I know it’s because of where I live. But next day shipping is available on more items every day.

Scrounge
07-08-2020, 09:45 PM
I just Cancelled Prime. The last 2 orders were late and no show despite a Guarantee. Customer Service hung up on me when I requested a refund.

If you pay shipping you have some recourse but Amazon Prime is a Bad Joke.

I've had prime since it was started, was an amazon customer before that. I've had about six items in the 6 or 8 months that didn't make it at all, three or four more that were very late, and I think four or five that were "damaged in shipping" and returned to them before they got to me, and I had to wait for my refund until the stuff got back or call and raise cain. My wife is still buying groceries from them. I may buy the odd book, but when this prime subscription is done, so am I. In the past ten years, I've probably spent at least $20K with them. I'm hoping someone will decide to learn from all this, and go into competition with them.

BigAlofPa.
07-08-2020, 09:51 PM
Yes shipping is having some issues. I ordered a scope from NY. Usually i have stuff from them in 48 hours. UPS changed my delivery date 3 times last time.

GhostHawk
07-08-2020, 09:54 PM
Amazon offered me prime in an email. Did not know enough about it then to want to bite.
A year later they sent another email detailing how much I would have saved on shipping if I had gone with prime.

Well that convinced me.

Since then we have added a Amazon Fire TV and a Fire stick for living room and bedroom.
I like having a LOT of options to watch. We cut cable back to 35$ a month basic and that alone pays for prime in a few months. Also pays for netflix and hulu.

And I'm still money ahead.

Yes, during these troubled times some companys that lost most of their trained workforce can take a month to arrive.
On the whole most things arrive within 3 days. But we live in Fargo ND which adds another day from the nearest big hub.
Still worth it in my book.
Walmart over 35$ order is free shipping but it always takes at least a week longer to arrive, sometimes more like 10 days.

But its a free country, everyone gets to make their own choices.
Me overall I am happy with Amazon and prime.

kayala
07-08-2020, 09:57 PM
Wait it went to $199 ? I dropped my prime at $119. Amazon prime are not competitive anymore. I’ve used to shop A LOT at amazon fe years back. Now almost any online vendor will give you better prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dapaki
07-08-2020, 10:04 PM
I cant complain, my account says I've been with them since 2001, I have used them at every place I have worked since then and have probably spent a quarter million in the past 19 years on toilets, sinks, plumbing, repair parts, HVACR, tires, you name it!

Just this week I bought batteries, 100 packs of AA and AAA, we do use a few; M20x2.5x200mm bolts, Peltor earmuffs, a trailer light kit (in pieces, Ill assemble), spark plugs and a circular saw!

Frankly, I can get stuff faster than I can work up a shopping list, comparison shop online, plan the trip from home and back and make the trip. Costs less to.

Remember those toilets? 48 of them for a remodel, $84.07 each, free shipping on Prime.

From the factory they run $75.00 each plus $92.95 each for shipping. $4461.60 in shipping!!!!

Yupper, I'm staying with Amazon Prime.

djryan13
07-08-2020, 10:07 PM
The boss has prime so I am on the family plan. Every package I get is reviewed though. Apparently I buy too much.

M-Tecs
07-08-2020, 10:10 PM
Is the a HI only thing? Just renewed Prime and it was $119.

SeabeeMan
07-08-2020, 10:24 PM
We've had it for years and utilize it fully, so I feel that we more than get our money's worth. We use the streaming service quite a bit, as well as their music streaming service. There was some slow down on shipping during the COVID stuff, but that is to be expected. Whenever possible, I subscribe and save items and get most things 15% off. Throw it on their card, get 5% cash, and as long as you are using credit properly and paying it off, it's effectively a 20% discount on much of what we use on a monthly basis.

I keep a close on eye on the pricing vs local on the subscribe and save items and am constantly adjusting the subscriptions based on coupons, price fluctuations, etc. It takes some time, but that is time and gas I would have spent driving 45 minutes each way to the closest big store.

My mail lady is constantly giving me crap but even just out dog food is $20 cheaper than at Farm and Fleet or Fleet Farm, even on sale. At a bag a month, we more than save the cost of prime just on the subscribe and save savings on our 1 bag of dog food each month.

My parents are on our account as family for shipping, but they don't get the streaming services with that. I don't charge them at all for it, but it's nice that they don't have to pay.

rancher1913
07-08-2020, 10:31 PM
stupid question, does the fire stick, hulu, and whatever else you guys were talking about need internet service to work, im assuming it does.

Conditor22
07-08-2020, 10:39 PM
yes they require an internet connection

Battis
07-08-2020, 10:42 PM
deleted

tomme boy
07-08-2020, 11:27 PM
All you have to do is do an online contact for customer service. They usually will give you at least a 50% credit to your account for your next purchase. I have done it 3 times and all 3 times I got at least 50%.

abunaitoo
07-08-2020, 11:41 PM
Sorry, I checked again and prime is $119 a year.
Computer's fault.
It should have known it was suppose to be $119 and not $199.
It's not my fault.
The mask got in the way, so I didn't see the numbers correct.
My glasses got foggy so I couldn't see good.
The cat was bothering me.
It's not my fault.

megasupermagnum
07-08-2020, 11:49 PM
stupid question, does the fire stick, hulu, and whatever else you guys were talking about need internet service to work, im assuming it does.

I don't know about Amazon. Both Netflix and Hulu allow you to download movies so you can watch without internet. So yes, you need the internet at some point, but not to watch it.

AnthonyB
07-08-2020, 11:56 PM
I cancelled Netflix when the company gave the Obama's millions to develop programming for them. I cancelled Amazon last month when they voiced support for anti-American causes, but my Prime account is paid up until January so it is still active. Led to a big argument with my wife - I will not fund the anti-American agenda with my dollars.
I love the service Amazon provides and hope a constitutional alternative springs up.
Tony

Half Dog
07-09-2020, 07:32 AM
Looks like Amazon took a $11 million stance.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-06-12/entertainment-companies-anti-racism-social-justice-funds

GhostHawk
07-09-2020, 08:09 AM
Rancher yes, and in fact needs a GOOD internet connection and either a lan port (fire tv) or wifi. And too many wifi devices working at once will slow streaming down to a crawl. I first invested in a wifi booster, then the fire tv with the lan port. No streaming, click, flick and its running. And dial up ain't going to cut it.

I'd say DSL as a low end, I'm running cable internet with very good download speed. Costs me 100$ a month but I use it for a lot. So for me worth it.

If your out in the back of nowhere chances are Dish or Direct TV are your best bets.

Jsm180
07-09-2020, 08:19 AM
We do amazon and netflix on 2.8 mbps DSL, it's all we can get. SAT Tv and internet is a joke here with the little sat dishes, a good rain shower shuts them right down.

Scrounge
07-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Sorry, I checked again and prime is $119 a year.
Computer's fault.
It should have known it was suppose to be $119 and not $199.
It's not my fault.
The mask got in the way, so I didn't see the numbers correct.
My glasses got foggy so I couldn't see good.
The cat was bothering me.
It's not my fault.

Why am I hearing "That's my story and I'm sticking to it!" when I read that?;)

I usually just say it's my fat fingers. Followed by "that's my story...":)

Mal Paso
07-09-2020, 09:00 AM
All you have to do is do an online contact for customer service. They usually will give you at least a 50% credit to your account for your next purchase. I have done it 3 times and all 3 times I got at least 50%.

They hung up on me when I requested a refund. I pulled the plug. I order mostly for business. Maybe deliver, maybe not isn't acceptable.

I am on satellite and movies don't work so if they can't deliver product they are out of here.

rancher1913
07-09-2020, 09:01 AM
the only way we can get internet here is with a cell phone plan and there is no way a person could afford the data plan for constant downloads, was a nice thought.

dverna
07-09-2020, 09:32 AM
I am a satisfied user of Amazon Prime. Living in a very remote area is it a great option for me. 25 miles to a town of 4,000 and selection is limited. I can buy almost anything I need and have it shipped to my door in a couple of days. I have bought stuff that ships from China directly and the wait is long but I know that up front. If I need something faster, I find an item that ships from the US.

I could boycott all the companies that are liberal but since there are no viable alternatives that would be silly in my situation. I can boycott the NFL, NBA, NASCAR etc etc as I do not need them.

Scrounge
07-09-2020, 09:56 AM
I am a satisfied user of Amazon Prime. Living in a very remote area is it a great option for me. 25 miles to a town of 4,000 and selection is limited. I can buy almost anything I need and have it shipped to my door in a couple of days. I have bought stuff that ships from China directly and the wait is long but I know that up front. If I need something faster, I find an item that ships from the US.

I could boycott all the companies that are liberal but since there are no viable alternatives that would be silly in my situation. I can boycott the NFL, NBA, NASCAR etc etc as I do not need them.

I live in a metropolitan (for certain values thereof) area so I can pretty much do without them. In your position, I might feel otherwise, but in mine they have messed things up for me far too many times, and the messing up started well before Covid-19. I understand that when you're shipping with another carrier, you don't have any control over what the carrier does. When you have your own carrier, and THEY can't deliver when they promised, it is a whole 'nother story. I've bought from Banggood, and ebay, and grainger, and many others. Only Amazon has fouled up that badly, that often. I'm not a business, but when I order something I need, I need it, not excuses. Heck, I even got a 'Your shipping address is invalid" from them once. Same address they've been shipping to me for as long as I've been a customer. Crap like that doesn't fly. And it does attract flies!

Dapaki
07-09-2020, 10:00 AM
I have ad more issues with The Home Depot than Amazon over the past 20 years. I have a propane gas grill in the system somewhere that has disappeared, it was for the 4th of July with a promised arrival date of July 2nd.

Haven't had that happen with Amazon myself.

Froogal
07-09-2020, 10:14 AM
I cancelled Netflix when the company gave the Obama's millions to develop programming for them. I cancelled Amazon last month when they voiced support for anti-American causes, but my Prime account is paid up until January so it is still active. Led to a big argument with my wife - I will not fund the anti-American agenda with my dollars.
I love the service Amazon provides and hope a constitutional alternative springs up.
Tony

Amazon is also a supporter of "renewable" energy, which is a farce, so yes, I am also looking for an alternative to Amazon.

Omega
07-09-2020, 10:26 AM
Amazon has become non competitive IMO, their prices reflect shipping already worked in on many items. I have had to comparison shop when I am looking for specific items. I still use them as the whole family uses them and can usually make it worth it, but it is getting harder to make it so.

bedbugbilly
07-09-2020, 10:26 AM
We signed up for Prime this year - $119.00. As another stated, one of the reason was to get the videos.

Where we are here in AZ, it's at least sa 15 to 20 mile drive to get to a variety of stores. During all of this Covid 19 hoopla, it as been a godsend as we haver ordered a lot of things that would have required ut to drive a distance to find, and most of the stores would have been closed due to the quarantine as it was - and is still for some. I did notice that the delivery time, over time, was not as "quick" on some things but hey . . . . why has been going on in this country has affected the delivery times of the UPS, USPS and FedEx as well - not a biggie for us.

The one thing that I do object to is opening up a commercial site to do business with them (Amazon) and the first thing that hits me is a "pop up" declaring all they contribute to charities and the BLM movement. Sorry, but regardless of what political party you lean towards, business and politics don't mix. But perhaps my views are because I am old and was in business for many years. When I saw that "pop up" the other day, the first thing I wondered was if they would be so "political" if one of their warehouses had been in an area where the protests had been held that resulted in businesses being burned and looted? Perhaps the "backers" of the protests who funded and planned them should have picked an area where Amazon had a warehouse - the "pick-ins" would have been much better.

Amazon is like a necessary evil . . . . it provides a place for people to get things that otherwise they wouldn't have been able to get during all of the quarantines . . . . it provides many jobs for many Americans . . . . but unfortunately, they also mix politics with business . . .. and that is never a good thing.

Handloader109
07-09-2020, 11:22 AM
I want to keep my money from anyone that is anti-American or really has a 180 with my viewpoints. If I really try and to this, I'd most likely starve and be nekid.
All I can do is REDUCE where I can. I don't like any big tech, but they are all left wing.

dragon813gt
07-09-2020, 11:35 AM
Amazon is going to be handled in short order. It will most likely come from the EU first. Their practice of using third party sellers data to produce products that undercut the third party sellers is the epitome of anti-competitive practices.

What sucks is a lot of Amazon Basics products are decent. I like their clothing line. It’s very hard to find clothes that fit as I’m between sizes and slim. Amazon is the only place I’ve been able to find clothes that actually fit. And thanks to Prime Wardrobe they are shipped to my house at no charge to try on and I only pay for what I keep.

I travel for work so Amazon is a necessity. I don’t have little time on weekends to run around looking for items. Anything I order during the week is held for delivery in Friday so it’s on my porch when I get home. I routinely ship items ahead of me to hotels if I know something is needed in. Same for shipping to hotels during the week if something is needed.

I know you’re paying more w/ them for the convenience. It’s very easy for me to spend a few minutes and have an order completed. Compared to trying to use a site like Graingers, having to pick it up at a local store and end up paying a lot more. I wish they wouldnt wade into politics but no one learned from Michael Jordan when he said “republicans buy sneakers too”.

GARD72977
07-09-2020, 01:25 PM
I cancelled my prime membership when they supported BLM openly.

tomme boy
07-09-2020, 05:15 PM
They hung up on me when I requested a refund. I pulled the plug. I order mostly for business. Maybe deliver, maybe not isn't acceptable.

I am on satellite and movies don't work so if they can't deliver product they are out of here.Thats why you do it on the chat over the internet.

tomme boy
07-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Anything you can get on Amazon you can get from Walmart online. The prices will be exactly the same also. Seems I can look at walmart first and the price will be a little cheaper. Then if I look at Amazon then go back to Walmart to get the cheaper price the price will have instantly gone up to the Amazon price.

Smoke4320
07-09-2020, 05:41 PM
Walmart will be offering their version of prime real soon. Saw an article on it yesterday

SSGOldfart
07-09-2020, 05:45 PM
I only pay $119 a year, it's not perfect but beats driving into town and spending half a day searching for something. I can get some items same day.

Same here $119 a year it pays for the shipping,and there is other benefits that I don't do like books,music,videos that come with a prime membership.

abunaitoo
07-12-2020, 04:11 AM
Just went on today, and they changed it back to how it was.
You can get the free shipping without the prime trial.
I ordered the stuff I ask my friend to order.
I wonder if they got a lots of complaints?????

MrWolf
07-12-2020, 08:59 AM

Same here. I share my account with four family members. Shipping sucks from anyone now and usually Walmart does ok. Curious to see what their latest competing announcement does. May be giving them a try.

smoked turkey
07-12-2020, 01:57 PM
Interesting thread. It seems from the above posts that many of us deal daily with the dark left who are the supporters of BLM, anti 1st & 2nd amendment rights, anti-gun, anti-NRA, pro-abortionists, and the list gets deeper and deeper into the areas that are very important to folks like me. It is true that using Amazon is very convenient, quick & easy. Their customer service is usually superb. Shopping without them will likely cost me more money and more time. However to continue to support them when they are at odds with so many of my core beliefs makes me a hypocrite. The wife and I are going to have to give this some thought as I do not want to be of the likes of the billionaires who continue to support the rioting, looting, burning, protesting antics of the far left crowd. The question is going to be if I will stand for what I believe is right or just turn my head and continue to do business with them because it is convenient to do so?

BigAlofPa.
07-12-2020, 02:33 PM
My last order from amazon came a day ahead of scheduled delivery.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Just went on today, and they changed it back to how it was.
You can get the free shipping without the prime trial.
I ordered the stuff I ask my friend to order.
I wonder if they got a lots of complaints?????

I don't have Prime. I've ordered Amazon stuff a few times in the last couple weeks, always got free shipping. I ordered again yesterday, got free shipping.
>Maybe you just missed seeing the free ship option if items total more than $25?

abunaitoo
07-13-2020, 02:39 AM
There was a free shipping option, but you got a free trial of prime.
I did that once, and just don't order enough to make it worth while for me.
I don't agree with amazon, but rather my money go out of this state, when ever possible.
Just like with evil bay.

bedbugbilly
07-13-2020, 10:46 AM
smoked turkey - unfortunately, we have to deal with so many of the conglomerates who support the radical Left, Socialism and such things as the BLM - which is nothing fore than a Leftist supported movement to cause chaos not unlike the false Impeachment, Ukraine quid pro quo, and the list goes on.

When in AZ, we used to travel up to north Tucson to a Penzi Spice store because my wife liked their spices. When we were back in Michigan, not long after the 2016 election, she ran low so ordered from Penzi on-line. When it arrived, there was a "epistle" included with the order promoting the "resistance" movement towards the POTUS and how everyone should join in. REALLY???? That is the LAST order they will ever get from us. The other day, my wife is on an e-mail list for a small yarn shop up in Tucson - she told me that she had "un-subscribed" as the owner had, at the end of her promotional e-mail, put how they were studying about "anarchy" and the BLM movement and were supporting it. Hmmmmmm . . . . another case of bit the hand that feeds you - and trust me, my wife will never darken their doorstep again . . . and what is that they say about "word of mouth" being the best advertisement?

Any company's executive shows support for POTUS, they end up losing their job. Funny how Pelosi and
Schumer expound on "support the Constitution" yet they all want to throw out the 1st Amendment when anyone disagrees with their socialist/communist agenda. Funny how Pelosi had to give her little scolding speech absit the Pledge of Alligen and the Flag and how "no one is above the law" - but not one of the Democrat debates had an American Flag on display????

The Mayor of Minneapolis asked for Federal monies to rebuild what was destroyed by "her BLM riots" - you know, the same mayor who wants to do away with the Police Department. Well guess what . . . the POTUS just denied any Federal funds to her. I feel sorry for the law abiding citizens in that area who had to put up with all of it as well as the businesses that were looted, burned and totally destroyed. But who keep voting these Leftist Socialists into office? If the Mayor didn't want to protect the citizens or the businesses - then don't cry when the businesses tell you to take a flying leap and they are leaving your city for good. You reap what you sow. But trust me . . . the decision to not give them federal aid will be challenged . . . there will be an outcry from the Left and it will get tied up in courts . . . . but as a law abiding citizen who pays taxes and sees those tax monies mis-spent, funneled off into personal gain an not spent on things they should be . . . now I AM OFFENDED!

Between the Covid Virus and the Left Socialists continuing to cause disruption to this country, our values and our economy . . . law abiding citizens are getting their "fill" and at some point, it is going to reach the "boiling point". Already, in St. Louis, a couple defending their property and lives from protesters threatening their lives and property by armed protestors have had their guns confiscated by the corrupt and Leftist DA - when the couple had the legal right to act as they did - a violation of their 2nd Amend,ent Rights. It has now happened once . . . it will happen again. Funny how the Left was so unearned about how "foreign powers" (Russia) was attempting to disrupt and throw the 2016 election - especially after Queen Hillary got fed her lunch - but now the same group is demanding that "Illegal Aliens" be given the right to vote?

As has often been said . . . "It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings."

AnthonyB
07-13-2020, 10:52 PM
Interesting thread. It seems from the above posts that many of us deal daily with the dark left who are the supporters of BLM, anti 1st & 2nd amendment rights, anti-gun, anti-NRA, pro-abortionists, and the list gets deeper and deeper into the areas that are very important to folks like me. It is true that using Amazon is very convenient, quick & easy. Their customer service is usually superb. Shopping without them will likely cost me more money and more time. However to continue to support them when they are at odds with so many of my core beliefs makes me a hypocrite. The wife and I are going to have to give this some thought as I do not want to be of the likes of the billionaires who continue to support the rioting, looting, burning, protesting antics of the far left crowd. The question is going to be if I will stand for what I believe is right or just turn my head and continue to do business with them because it is convenient to do so?

smoked turkey:
I am stealing your post to share with my wife. Thank you for articulating it better than I was able in my conversation with her.
Tony

megasupermagnum
07-13-2020, 11:36 PM

If you have a better way, I'm all ears. Cutting back could certainly work, but online sales have cut into physical stores so much that selection is poor. So often what I want is only available online. Cabelas sucks now, the local store is only so big, and Fleet Farm isn't what it used to be.

Jsm180
07-14-2020, 08:44 AM

I would think a better solution would be to stop buying anything made in china. At least Amazon employs american workers and if it goes down they are the first hurt.

dakotashooter2
07-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Im not a prime member but always get free shipping . You sure it isnt just a scam?
FWIW my GF seems to get at least 2 pkgs a month that she did not order or even view. So if you didnt get something it probably went to someone else.

Scrounge
07-14-2020, 10:49 AM
I would think a better solution would be to stop buying anything made in china. At least Amazon employs american workers and if it goes down they are the first hurt.

Great idea, but where you going to find stuff that's not made in China? Bought an NTN bearing for a repair project on the tailstock rolling center for my lathe, and it was "Made in China."

Jsm180
07-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Great idea, but where you going to find stuff that's not made in China? Bought an NTN bearing for a repair project on the tailstock rolling center for my lathe, and it was "Made in China."

Buy Timken, at least their headquarters are in the US, who knows where the bearings are made, they have plants in china. NTN started out in Japan.

Scrounge
07-14-2020, 02:49 PM
Buy Timken, at least their headquarters are in the US, who knows where the bearings are made, they have plants in china. NTN started out in Japan.

Timken didn't have the bearing at all. And I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" was about the same thing as "Made in China" is today. And then the Japanese invited Dr. Deming to help them fix that, and actually listened to him, unlike US manufacturers.

David2011
07-15-2020, 03:43 PM
Not a fan of Amazon or Jeff Bezos but living in a huge metro area I find Amazon saves money over driving to locations. For that matter, buying from retailers and paying for shipping can cost about the same as driving but without the risks of getting on Houston freeways. I tried to buy locally a few days ago but neither Lowe’s nor Home Depot had the very common sizes of Kreg screws I needed. Amazon had ‘em to me in two days.

smoked turkey
07-15-2020, 06:27 PM
It's time for me to weigh in again. My wife and I had our "discussion". After quite a bit of debate and reading through the various comments on this thread, we have decided to keep our Prime going and I will continue to try to buy USA products when I can. Like so many others, we are several miles from a large town (about 20), and what we are finding is that so many of the stores have lots of empty shelves and fewer shoppers. Yesterday we were looking for a certain item that she likes to use in the kitchen. In fact we had several items saved up to buy when we made it to town. At least half of the items couldn't be found in the "local" big box store. They are now ordered from Amazon and will be delivered to us within a few days.
We support Convoy of Hope and we have configured the Amazon web site such that they donate a portion of each order to them. So we are going to do out part here and continue to spread the "Let Freedom Ring" word here when it comes to the election. I placed an order for some drill bits a while ago and I told the kind lady that if they came in and were not made in the USA she would get them back. So I think I will be continuing my Amazon membership for a while at least.

Battis
07-15-2020, 06:38 PM
Smoked turkey - I cancelled my prime membership a few weeks ago for the exact reasons you outlined. I even paid off my Amazon card. I haven't needed anything from Amazon since I cancelled it.

Mal Paso
07-15-2020, 08:21 PM
I just tried Sam's club, their prices are better than Amazon even with shipping. They offer free shipping with $120 membership.

My last Amazon shopping cart (jeans) went up $15 overnight. jcPenny was happy to take that order and gave free shipping without membership.

MrWolf
07-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Amazon prime shipping for me is getting longer and longer. I am looking at a week minimum for most Prime goods. I just paid more for a dishwasher to get it in two days from Walmart. Day of deliver get an email delayed due to mid west weather and got it almost a week later. Arrived yesterday and had some damage which I now have to fight about. I am about 45 mins to either Winchester VA or Cumberland MD for any real shopping. I refuse to go into Maryland unless absolutely necessary. Hate that state. Sometimes we dont have many options.

Mr_Sheesh
07-19-2020, 08:18 AM
Amazon isn't perfect. I bought some USB storage devices (Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB ones, tiny and barely protrude from the socket; I add rings and a small bit of Type 1A paracord or I'd have to use pliers to remove them! Tiny.) Anyways.

I had them shipped to the local Amazon partner Hub, at a local store (they have a room they rent in the back of it.)

They tracked there, but I couldn't get that Hub to tell me that they were available to pick up, for over 6-7 weeks of asking patiently for delivery, ended up ordering another set from elsewhere and starting to write a BBB complaint letter - And then they found the package and allowed as how they were available...

It was pretty frustrating being told "They were tracked to where you wanted them shipped, so no, we aren't going to refund your money"... i.e. Yes we have your stuff you paid for, but, we're keeping it for now at least and you're just out of luck?

That's NOT quality Customer Service, I'd have been OK with "Oh! We'll get them searching for it then!" but they couldn't get the concept?

Mal Paso
07-19-2020, 11:05 AM
Amazon intentionally delayed my order of electronic parts for 6 weeks because they deemed them nonessential. Never mind my job is electrical and exempt from any lockdown.

Amazon is a clown shop.

My Sam's Club order shipped today. I Paid Shipping and my order was $12.60 less than Amazon on a $47.55 order.

Mal Paso
07-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Amazon intentionally delayed my order of electronic parts for 6 weeks because they deemed them nonessential. Never mind my job is electrical and exempt from any lockdown.

Amazon is a clown shop.

My Sam's Club order shipped today. I Paid Shipping and my order was $12.60 less than Amazon on a $47.55 (Amazon price) order.