PDA

View Full Version : New 1911 is settling in.

Idaho45guy
07-06-2020, 08:31 PM
Went to the family cabin the last couple of days and brought my new Remington R1 Limited in .40 S&W along to put more rounds through it.

Shot it and my P365 at the reactive target a few times, then tried some slow fire 5-shot groups at ten yards.

1911 got a 3/4" group the second try and the P365 did 1". This is using cheap Federal Brass ammo, so not bad at all.

Winger Ed.
07-06-2020, 08:44 PM
I figured you'd like it.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-06-2020, 08:47 PM
oh...come on...you know you'd rather have a Glock! I'll trade you straight across, you're choice .40 S&W, .45 GAP, .45 Auto. :D

Winger Ed.
07-06-2020, 08:53 PM
oh...come on...you know you'd rather have a Glock! I'll trade you straight across, you're choice .40 S&W, .45 GAP, .45 Auto. :D

Shame, shame, shame,,, 10,000 comedians out of work- and you're trying to be funny.:bigsmyl2:

BigAlofPa.
07-06-2020, 09:00 PM
Awesome glad you like it.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Does it hurt to try? ;) I know how badly he wants 5th generation Glocks!

Baltimoreed
07-06-2020, 10:25 PM
It’s defective, the bore is .05 too small. Id carry it back.

Idaho45guy
07-08-2020, 03:31 AM

If you have a Gen 4 G23 in Battlefield Green, I'll trade. The 1911 is a range toy. A Glock is a serious fighting weapon and superior in every way that counts when your life is on the line.

Nostalgia is fine, until it gets you killed.

That would make an excellent signature line, actually. But I'm afraid it might cause a few pulmonary episodes around here, lol.

Idaho45guy
07-08-2020, 03:43 AM
I figured you'd like it.

Oh, I do! It is fun to put holes where you want them.

Shooting the reactive target with the P365 and the 1911 was revealing. The 1911 is a tad faster. Pretty sure it is due to the size of the weapon. The P365 is an engineering marvel in firearm technology. 12 rounds of 9mm in such a small package is amazing. But physics is physics, and a bigger gun is simply more controllable. Made me reconsider my approach to carry and think about giving up some comfort and concealability to gain a little more effective shootability.

I don't know. I'd have to set up some multiple targets and put several magazines worth of ammo through the P365, my G19, and my M&P40c to see which one was fastest, and if the difference was enough to switch.

Ammo and components being as scarce as the are now, I'm reluctant to waste precious ammo.

Baltimoreed
07-08-2020, 07:32 AM
The 1911 is a range toy. [/QUOTE]
I don’t know about that, the guys from WW1-WW2-Korea-Vietnam and the Special Forces units that carried it then and still carry them might beg to differ.

smithnframe
07-08-2020, 08:45 AM
I thought it was against the law to own a 1911 in any other caliber than 45?

22cf45
07-08-2020, 08:58 AM
Brian Zins (12 time National Champion in Precision Pistol more commonly known as Bullseye and 1911 45 acp enthusiast) says that every time he shoots a Glock, he needs an antibiotic :)
Phil

Der Gebirgsjager
07-08-2020, 09:49 AM
Give Idaho some time to come around-- he's young yet.* :Fire:

*compared to some.

shdwlkr
07-08-2020, 10:07 AM
If the 1911 is only a range toy why do our special ops teams still use them? I realize if you are of the younger thinking generation having more bullets in your pistol is mandatory, but those who depended on the 1911 to stay alive did just fine with 7-8 rounds. Begs the question has the ability to hit what you aim at changed over the decades or has the thinking of what it takes to win a gun fight changed? Most police now carry large capacity pistols and seem not to be able to hit the target even when they have 17 chances. I got to see a leo team shoot once and I was not impressed.

Petrol & Powder
07-08-2020, 12:34 PM
If the 1911 is only a range toy why do our special ops teams still use them? I realize if you are of the younger thinking generation having more bullets in your pistol is mandatory, but those who depended on the 1911 to stay alive did just fine with 7-8 rounds. Begs the question has the ability to hit what you aim at changed over the decades or has the thinking of what it takes to win a gun fight changed? Most police now carry large capacity pistols and seem not to be able to hit the target even when they have 17 chances. I got to see a leo team shoot once and I was not impressed.

SLOW DOWN
Lots of statements there that are masquerading as facts:

If the 1911 is only a range toy why do our special ops teams still use them?

Because they choose to. You'll have to ask them why they made that choice but non-expanding FMJ bullets may play into that choice.

I realize if you are of the younger thinking generation having more bullets in your pistol is mandatory,

No., not really. I doubt you know the thought process of every single member of the "younger thinking generation". In fact, I would dare say the only thought process you can be entirely sure of is your own.

.....but those who depended on the 1911 to stay alive did just fine with 7-8 rounds.

Yes, they did just fine with 8 rounds but they didn't have much choice, now did they? I wonder if they had a choice of a pistol with greater capacity if they would have selected that? Do you think if they had a pistol that could have held 15 rounds they would only load 8 in the magazine and say to themselves, "that's all I will ever possibly need"?

Begs the question has the ability to hit what you aim at changed over the decades

No, it doesn't "beg the question" nor does it change anything.

....or has the thinking of what it takes to win a gun fight changed?

Nobody claimed it has changed. Just because a pistol has more capacity doesn't mean the "thinking of what it takes to win a gun fight has changed".

Most police now carry large capacity pistols and seem not to be able to hit the target even when they have 17 chances.

There are over 17,000 LE agencies in the U.S.A. with over 850,000 officers. How many have you personally watched shoot? So I doubt you can authoritatively state how poorly or how well; "they" can shoot.

I got to see a leo team shoot once and I was not impressed.

I've seen a lot of people, from a lot of different occupations, shoot. I've been impressed with some and not impressed with some.

onelight
07-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Brian Zins (12 time National Champion in Precision Pistol more commonly known as Bullseye and 1911 45 acp enthusiast) says that every time he shoots a Glock, he needs an antibiotic :)
Phil
That is funny [smilie=l:

marek313
07-08-2020, 03:54 PM
It’s defective, the bore is .05 too small. Id carry it back.

Bore or is not the problem if it start with a 4 its good enough for me but you should have went with that extra 3mm longer brass for the extra punch as in 10mm. You could still shoot your 40 short and wimpy out of one provided you get one with full head support. I shot more 40S&W then actual 10mm in my RIA 1911 and no issues so far. With extended clip you can get 10 rounds in and having 1911 with 10 x 10mm is plenty of firepower for me.

smithnframe
07-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Petrol & Powder has been banned? I don't see anything wrong with his last post.

tazman
07-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Any post he got banned for would have been deleted as part of the process unless he got into a private message argument with a moderator.

Green Frog
07-09-2020, 09:37 AM
I got a chuckle over seeing someone expound on the superiority of Combat Tupperware over real guns. Lots of rounds would only be one consideration. Disposable plastic guns are a passing fad, steel goes on and on. need more rounds? Get an extended mag for your reload... 7 or 8 shots should be enough to “open the ball” or at least get you to cover. If you’re expecting an invading horde, don’t go there, but if you must, bring lots of friends, all of whom have guns and lots of ammo.

:coffee:

Idaho45guy
07-09-2020, 01:16 PM
I got a chuckle over seeing someone expound on the superiority of Combat Tupperware over real guns. Lots of rounds would only be one consideration. Disposable plastic guns are a passing fad, steel goes on and on.

Surely a satirical post since "disposable plastic guns" have been the norm for the past 30 years.

For a dose of reality, check out the NSSF latest sales numbers...

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2020/06/26/highest-selling-guns-2020-nssf/

Top 10 Semi-Auto Pistols (Under Age 50)

Sig Sauer P320
Glock G19
Springfield Hellcat
Sig Sauer P365 Nitron Micro-Compact
Beretta M9A3
Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield
Springfield XD(M)
Glock G19 GEN4
Glock G43
Beretta 92FS

Top 10 Semi-Auto Pistols (Ages 50-99)

Sig Sauer P320
Springfield Hellcat
Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield
Glock G19
Sig Sauer P365 Nitron Micro-Compact
Kimber Stainless II
Ruger Ruger-57
Beretta 92FS
Beretta M9A3
KEL-TEC PMR-30

Baltimoreed
07-09-2020, 07:09 PM
None of those are in my safes, however I have Smiths, Colts, Webleys, Rugers and a few of them imported Eyetalian revolvers too. And an Astra but alas, no tupperware.

salvadore
07-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Just for information only, I bought my first concealed carry holster from Milt Sparks at a Pocatello gun show in the mid 70s, a summer special. Have owned lotsa 1911s and currently own half a dozen or so. All my shooters were .45 acp except for a recently purchased .38 super. I've owned Hi-powers and other 9mms casually. When the Smith Shield came out I thought to enter the 21st century. Shot it a couple of times and found it wanting. A few months ago I thought I'd try again and bought the 365 on a gun store clerk's recommend. As soon as I find a suitable pocket holster I believe it will be my edc. All of my current 1911's have a better trigger, are faster, probably more accurate and more shootable, in my opinion. The 365 has a much better trigger than the Shield, better sights than the Shield, points nicer and is an all around better piece of tupperware than the Smith.

The reason I will give up carrying 1911s for the Sig is because it's a pretty nice piece and very portable.

Drm50
07-10-2020, 06:34 PM
A thousand years from now a expedition from another planet will be here digging in our ruins. Two pistol cases will be uncovered. The first one when opened in a lab, contained a mass similar to sheep snot. After analyzing it was the remains of a plastic pistol. Would have been worth a fortune if found intact. They open the other case and were bummed out. In the case was a 1911 45acp, still available new at the corner store.

Cosmic_Charlie
07-15-2020, 05:56 AM
There is a Rock Island G.I. model at my LGS that has a wonderful trigger pull. Nice tight lock up too. Only thing stopping me are those tiny little sights. Seems like a steal for $459.

Baltimoreed
07-15-2020, 09:29 AM
Those 1911 sights are definitely made for a young man’s eyes. I’ve got a 1911 and an A1 and the A1 is easier to shoot.

wv109323
07-17-2020, 09:44 AM
Glocks have been around for 30 years. Well I still use a lawnmower and tractor that is older than any Glock but I have a 1911 that is older than both of them.

jakharath
07-17-2020, 11:36 AM
I was thinking the same thing. ;)

Idaho45guy
07-17-2020, 12:24 PM
Glocks have been around for 30 years. Well I still use a lawnmower and tractor that is older than any Glock but I have a 1911 that is older than both of them.

Flintlocks have been around longer than 1911s; why not use those instead of that new fangled technology?

There is no logic in your premise.

jrayborn
07-20-2020, 03:59 PM
I have had a decades long love affair with the 1911 style handgun. They are accurate, powerful and usually work quite well. Perfectly adequate for shooting things that need shot. They seem to have a soul.

However, as I try very hard to keep an open mind, I have to admit that in my opinion and in my experience, the modern auto's are a better choice for me in relation to carry. Generally lighter, and more reliable, and less expensive. I'll never be without either type if I have my way.

Baltimoreed
07-20-2020, 06:41 PM
Not trying to start a fight so I’ll say it this way, a weapon, be it a rifle, shotgun, revolver or auto pistol made of steel and walnut has a soul. Iron that was dug from the the living earth, walnut that was once alive in a forest. And then it was forged, milled, shaped, and carved by men to create a firearm. An expensive way to make a firearm. Either as a weapon of war, for harvesting game or for the pure enjoyment of shooting. What do you have with a cheaper polymer weapon? A creation from a lab, a mixture of noxious chemicals that emerged from an injection mold and a few pieces of steel to hold it all together. Yes polymer guns are lighter, generally hold more ammo as they tend to be a smaller caliber but they have no soul. And yes they are ‘modern’, not old timey like me but I’ll take one of my old timers any day over a plastic wondernine.

Petrol & Powder
07-22-2020, 06:14 PM
Any post he got banned for would have been deleted as part of the process unless he got into a private message argument with a moderator.

Actually I got put into "time out" by the moderators for responding on another thread.
Somebody got their panties in wad and went crying to the teacher.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Not trying to start a fight so I’ll say it this way, a weapon, be it a rifle, shotgun, revolver or auto pistol made of steel and walnut has a soul. Iron that was dug from the the living earth, walnut that was once alive in a forest. And then it was forged, milled, shaped, and carved by men to create a firearm. An expensive way to make a firearm. Either as a weapon of war, for harvesting game or for the pure enjoyment of shooting. What do you have with a cheaper polymer weapon? A creation from a lab, a mixture of noxious chemicals that emerged from an injection mold and a few pieces of steel to hold it all together. Yes polymer guns are lighter, generally hold more ammo as they tend to be a smaller caliber but they have no soul. And yes they are ‘modern’, not old timey like me but I’ll take one of my old timers any day over a plastic wondernine.

Verily, a man after mine own heart! :-D