View Full Version : 300 BO plain base?

mattri
07-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Looking at Accurate Molds BO mold and it is a plain base, no gas check.

Will soley be used subsonic, any reason to be concerned about lack of a gas check?

gpidaho
07-06-2020, 07:50 PM
Nope. Gp

MrHarmless
07-06-2020, 10:22 PM
At those speeds, the only concern is proper hardness to obdurate. I use a Lee mold subsonic, no gas check. Never had any leading (PC'd).

GhostHawk
07-06-2020, 11:23 PM
Agree nothing to worry about. Keep speeds below 1300 fps and get by without checks just fine.

Burnt Fingers
07-07-2020, 10:28 AM
I have yet to get any plain based bullet to work in my 300 BO pistol.

If you're using a bolt gun you might have better luck.

Conditor22
07-07-2020, 11:00 AM
got an NOE 247 GC mold that shoots great without the GC

sutherpride59
07-07-2020, 12:04 PM
Wellllllllll, if you end up getting a suppressor you will want a gas check to prevent filling the suppressor with lead. I’m not sure if powder coating will prevent lead in the baffles but I know from personal experience it will start building up lead with a quickness. I tried my NOE 311299 With an without gas checks and I didn’t notice any accuracy loss....just lead build up lol. If you don’t plan on using a suppressor then I would vote agains using subs in general, less fpe and less accurate in my own experience.

gpidaho
07-07-2020, 12:20 PM
I have three 300 Blackout rifles. An AR side charger, a Ruger bolt and a Handi single shot. None of these are suppressed. I see no need for subsonic rounds in any of these nor do I see the need for a gas check up to about 1500 fps. Gp

Dapaki
07-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Wellllllllll, if you end up getting a suppressor you will want a gas check to prevent filling the suppressor with lead. I’m not sure if powder coating will prevent lead in the baffles but I know from personal experience it will start building up lead with a quickness. I tried my NOE 311299 With an without gas checks and I didn’t notice any accuracy loss....just lead build up lol. If you don’t plan on using a suppressor then I would vote agains using subs in general, less fpe and less accurate in my own experience.

I think you may have a process issue if you are leading with PC'd boolits. If you are just lubing, yes, gas cutting will be an issue.

Mattri, Just PC and make sue if you stand them up to cook that you dont reduce the PC thickness in doing so.

Herb in Pa
07-07-2020, 12:50 PM
I shoot the NOE 247 Plain Base in a suppressed bolt gun. No problems with leading, I didn't want to chance a gas check coming off in the can. I can almost guarantee any gas check designed bullet shot without the gas check will cause leading.

mattri
07-07-2020, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Should have mentioned it will be in a bolt gun.

Maybe this will be a good way to give powder coating a shot.

jimb16
07-07-2020, 07:29 PM
I use plain base in my AR at around 1200 to 1250 and have no problems. They are powder coated though and that may make a difference. Still working up an accuracy load but 1 1/2 inch at 50 yards is serviceable for me.

sutherpride59
07-07-2020, 08:53 PM
I think you may have a process issue if you are leading with PC'd boolits. If you are just lubing, yes, gas cutting will be an issue.

Mattri, Just PC and make sue if you stand them up to cook that you dont reduce the PC thickness in doing so.

I should have made that more clear I get leading in my suppressor with plain base because I don’t PC. Again PC will probably work I just don’t have experience with it yet.

mto7464
07-08-2020, 01:20 PM
I should have made that more clear I get leading in my suppressor with plain base because I don’t PC. Again PC will probably work I just don’t have experience with it yet.

I got leading with PC in my can. None in the bore. I would be concerned shooting GC'ed boolits with a can. I found a check years ago in front of my shooting bench so they can come off.

mattri
07-11-2020, 11:54 AM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-220T-D.png

This is the mold I'm looking at, thoughts?

Hanzy4200
07-11-2020, 09:09 PM
I run a Lee mold without GC, suppressed and non suppressed. No issues to speak of. As to lead in suppressors, if the powder coat prevents leading in the barrel, and prevents leading in the gas system, why would it not prevent it in a can? I guess we will find out, as I've been running a crap ton of PC pills through my sealed can.

Lloyd Smale
07-12-2020, 07:46 AM
nope and no worry about abdurating either. If the bullet is sized to your bore which means anything over .308 there is absolutely no need for it to bump up to fit anything. If that wasn't true you sure wouldn't get accuracy out of jacketed 308 bullets in a 30 cal ar. My guess is if anything like with about ANY gun that isn't a piece of crap harder will shoot better. Its why we are always chasing jacketed accuracy. Now if you don't want to use your good alloy or don't want to buy lino ect or just happen to have a bunch of soft lead its worth a try for bullets shot at that low pressure range. PC will at least allow you to do it without leading.

cwlongshot
07-14-2020, 11:41 AM
I have no issues with a plain base POWDER COATED BULLET PAST 2000 fps. This is from Various calibers and barrels. Just Keep pressures down!

CW

mattri
07-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Well subs should be good then:drinks: